cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer Brake and Turn Issue

Buckaroo_Billy
Explorer
Explorer
So I replace my wire harness in my Frontier and all went well, It has the factory Tow package and all the relays.
Hooked up the "Plug Only" to the trailer to test all.

No turn signal or Brake Lights!

Stupid question of the Day - Here goes...:)

Do I need the hitch connected to get proper ground to make these work?

That's the only thing I can think of.

Thoughts Please..
17 REPLIES 17

Explorer II
Explorer II
Side Bar: 2112 Thanks for the video, It wasn't in the Big fuse box it was in the smaller box to the right. But it works now

Happy to help.
Thanks for letting us know you solved the problem
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Buckaroo_Billy
Explorer
Explorer
Looked under the hood at the small fuse box.
a 15amp blown, labeled "Trail/Turn" just got home and replaced it.
"Eureka" !! that fixed it. got signal lights, regular lights, turn signals and brake lights!!

Thanks all for your assistance!

All the Best!!

Side Bar: 2112 Thanks for the video, It wasn't in the Big fuse box it was in the smaller box to the right. But it works now.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
It was busted, got rear ended some time ago and Hitch took the brunt but snapped the plastic housing for the 7-way just enough it would just teeter when you hooked up the plug.

Yeah, something must have shorted out with the accident that damaged the connector. The hitch itself could be damaged too? Have you had that checked out too?

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look at the fuses in the 12 volt DC section of your rig. Get spare fuses for it.
I would not buy a box of various sizes (amperage) of fuses. I would get boxes of amperage that your rig uses.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
While you are picking up fuses, pick up an assortment of the proper fuse type for your truck. I have given away more fuses over the years to people that did not have any with them than I have replaced in my rig.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Buckaroo_Billy
Explorer
Explorer
Looked through the ATO fuses in the small fuse box under the hood, located a 15ATO that was labeled "Tail/Turn" that was blown.
I'll pick some fuses up on my way home tomorrow, put one in and see what results.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can’t believe in all of this nobody suggested plugging a $5 tester into the TV’s trailer lug to see if the issue is TV or trailer.

That’s the FIRST place to start, not the last.

Explorer II
Explorer II
THIS is for a 2016 trailer running light fuse but will give you an idea of where to look.

I think what you are looking for is Fuse 60 in the smaller front fuse/relay box under the hood. Should be 15A
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Buckaroo_Billy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I looked at the standard fuse box, it's next to the glove box, and there's not Trailer brakes listed on the legend inside the cover. I'll look under the hood for the other fuse box and see, but that seems odd to me that It would be there. We'll see.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep... You will have to pull the cover. Probably the one under the hood. It should have a diagram map on the inside of the cover and show the "trailer" fuses. there should be stop, right and left turn signals to the trailer plug I would think..

Just tossing that out there, as I don't understand why the manual does not list the fuse diagram?? My Ford F150 does.. 🙂

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I looked up your owner's manual. It does not list fuses. It refers you to the fuse block cover.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Buckaroo_Billy
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Nissan Frontier

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You could have had brakes on and it shorted or went to ground and blew a fuse.
Make and model of tow vehicle?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Buckaroo_Billy
Explorer
Explorer
It was busted, got rear ended some time ago and Hitch took the brunt but snapped the plastic housing for the 7-way just enough it would just teeter when you hooked up the plug.