cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel Trailer electrical, - Inverter placement/hookup

TomC71
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 23' Terry Taurus. I'm almost never going to use it hooked to an AC power source, and want the AC plugs to work off an inverter I have.

Is there any reason I can't hook the inverter into the system somewhere to do so?
42 REPLIES 42

TomC71
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Have you checked your private messages?

I did now lol. I replied to it.

I have to check to see if there is a setting that actually lets the forum notify me on private messages because I didn't even notice it at the top of the page until you said this.

TomC71
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
Heads up to all, including the OP, drop the insults and crude language. I'm not in the mood to play hall monitor today.

Read the thread and examine my responses to those who were helpful compared to those who decided to take issue with me.

Then, note that I blocked those who were here simply to troll, which your forum continued to allow them access to my post and the ability to reply.

I came here for info and was polite and thankful to those who offered useful info and attempted to block those who weren't.

Explorer II
Explorer II
The cheapest way is to plug your shore power cord into the inverter using a $6 Adapter and turn off/disconnect the converter and microwave. The microwave draws a little current so I turn it off as well when using my 500W inverter. Have the fridge and water heater on propane if using them.

I also have a 100W inverter that plugs into the cigarette plug above the TV. That plug is only good for 8 amps. I use it for watching TV and charging our electronics. That's an isolated circuit so I don't need to worry about the converter.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Y-Guy
Heads up to all, including the OP, drop the insults and crude language. I'm not in the mood to play hall monitor today.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you checked your private messages?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

TomC71
Explorer
Explorer
Actually I'll respond to the last poster even though I blocked them as well.

Yes, we were homeless until we bought this trailer and found someone kind enough to let us rent some land from them cheap. Our alternative was to live in a tent.

I don't know what is wrong with the people here on this forum, but I wouldn't even let most of you near my property let alone take advice from most of you. I ask questions to get other people's input. Whether I choose to follow them blindly, or whether I choose to do what is actually possible in our situation is up to me. That it offends some of you that people don't do what you say, says much more about you than it does me.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:

if you decide to sell the rv later the new owner will thank you instead of powsting on here "I cant get my AC to work" panels are easy to change and not that expensive. at 37 years old you should replace it anyways if you are charging batteries with it, or just want filtered dc power for your electronics.

Pretty sure the market for 40 year old rolling meth labs is pretty small... I wouldn't worry about the "next" consumer to get ahold of this beauty of a trailer..lol!

:B
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
TomC71, I notice that youโ€™re a new memberโ€ฆRather than displaying vulgar bitterness (recall, you never mentioned โ€˜moneyโ€™, eh??) you might โ€˜appreciateโ€™ that most of us here are interested conveying a safer, rational method and have invested personal time attempting to assist youโ€ฆAs per the principle of personal โ€˜free agencyโ€™ quite naturally you free to do what you wish - Good luck

3 tons

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
From just my perspective, seems more like what the OP is seeking is a tutorial and concurrence for an unsafe wiring schemeโ€ฆ

3 tons

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
TomC71 wrote:
ewarnerusa wrote:
because it is simpler? The only additional thing powered would be the air conditioner. which as you said, you never run.

Simpler in the short term maybe. Not if something in the 37 year old converter/panel box goes on the fritz. This way I don't have to worry about it.

if you don't want to screw with it add a auto transfer switch and power the whole power center. if you don't want to use the AC then turn off the braker for that and just use the plugs. I havent said anything up to now but I cant stand half assed jobs. your going in there anyways just put in a auto trans fer switch, feed one side from the shore power feed the other from your inverter and done. if you decide to sell the rv later the new owner will thank you instead of powsting on here "I cant get my AC to work" panels are easy to change and not that expensive. at 37 years old you should replace it anyways if you are charging batteries with it, or just want filtered dc power for your electronics.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
TomC71 wrote:
Is there any reason I can't just take the wire coming off the breaker for the plugs and it's negative of course, and hook them to my inverter and skip what it seems a lot of people have done?

As I said, I am just looking to power the plugs in the trailer.

I have to look to see if I have the wiring diagram for it and see if the plugs are isolated from everything else or part of another circuit.
Yes that is what I suggested but with a small automatic transfer switch to make it user friendly for all that might need power.

but if you are using a auto transfer switch wouldnt that just replace the main supply wires coming into the power center.. seams overly complicated to use that then wire it to a breaker.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Since you heretofore seem to frown on having a means of isolation, how is tying into the back of the panel any different than simply plugging the inverterโ€™s output into a receptacle and back-feeding the remaining house outlets??

3 tons

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
TomC71 wrote:
Is there any reason I can't just take the wire coming off the breaker for the plugs and it's negative of course, and hook them to my inverter and skip what it seems a lot of people have done?

As I said, I am just looking to power the plugs in the trailer.

I have to look to see if I have the wiring diagram for it and see if the plugs are isolated from everything else or part of another circuit.
Yes that is what I suggested but with a small automatic transfer switch to make it user friendly for all that might need power.

TomC71
Explorer
Explorer
ewarnerusa wrote:
because it is simpler? The only additional thing powered would be the air conditioner. which as you said, you never run.

Simpler in the short term maybe. Not if something in the 37 year old converter/panel box goes on the fritz. This way I don't have to worry about it.