cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV Batteries Charge Question

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
I think I know the answer, but I always thought I knew which stocks were safe buy too.

My 7.3's 6 year old batteries wouldn't warm the glow plugs yesterday, having sat for quite a while. I'll get new ones as soon as I get the truck started up.

Do two batteries require twice the charging time that a single one would? And just to be sure, does charging the one battery charge both of them? :@ Thanks.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."
10 REPLIES 10

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The group 65 batteries are a problem-child. Acid starvation. AGM would solve this but whew, the expense.

Changing the 20MT Delco starter for a gear reduction Nippondenso starter will reduce cranking amperage by almost half.

Look at your alternator. Does it have a fan behind the pulley? Or does the front of the alternator case have a lot of round holes in it?

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Almot wrote:
What does 7.3 mean?
liter engine.

I appreciate the answers you all have given me. And 2Oldman made me realize I made a typo. The batteries were almost 5 years old, not 6.

Ford used the Navistar International 7.3 liter diesel under the trade name Power Stroke from 1993 to 2003 when government regs killed it. It's known even today as a bulletproof wonder. Mine turned 114,100 miles on its way to get new batteries today. History

The batteries took a charge and the engine started. I've replaced the original batteries with Walmart 65Ns twice before, and after researching reviews, decided to stick with them. $220 plus tax, installed. I was considering Costco for $90 each, no installation available there, but they no longer carry the house branded ones. It's now an Interstate branded battery that isn't giving the service of the Costco brand according to my research.

My information is there are three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, with Johnson Controls making most. So I expect the differences would be in the specs the brands ask for.
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Consider Sears Platinum for superior cranking amps, faster recharge and much lower self discharge if disconnected.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almot wrote:
What does 7.3 mean?
liter engine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
If connected in parallel, and one is bad, the good one will charge fully but the bad one won't hold the charge and will demand charging all the time. More wear on alternator.

What does 7.3 mean?

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I'll post results.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are connected in parallel. 6 years is time to replace.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape has a good point as well. One may be in much worse shape than the other which could prevent either from charging unless you disconnect them.

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
cekkk wrote:
I think I know the answer, but I always thought I knew which stocks were safe buy too.

My 7.3's 6 year old batteries wouldn't warm the glow plugs yesterday, having sat for quite a while. I'll get new ones as soon as I get the truck started up.

Do two batteries require twice the charging time that a single one would? And just to be sure, does charging the one battery charge both of them? :@ Thanks.

I would say it depends somewhat on the charger, but generally, yes to both questions. The batteries should be wired in parallel which basically gives you twice the battery you would have with a single.

Of course you may need to be pretty lucky to get dead 6 year old batteries to take enough charge to get you going.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, and yes.

Good questions.

PS you may have one battery bad, which can prevent the other from charging. In which case disconnecting the dead one and starting with one will get you going. This applies if you have a shorted cell in one.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...