cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

underbelly repair

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
Will Gorilla tape work on the plastic under belly? I have to cut it to access the plumbing and need to know what works for tape
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD
13 REPLIES 13

trailrider
Explorer
Explorer
This is what you want. It sticks perfect on the underbelly.
https://www.amazon.com/Surface-Shields-BP4180-Shield-Repair/dp/B002SSGAZG
2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD GAS!!!
1978 Chevrolet Silverado K20 4x4
2007 Komfort 277TS
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2018 Honda Rancher TRX420FA6
2017 Montesa 4RT260
2021 Honda CRF450X

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
The OP is talking about the black woven tarp like moisture barrier that is used to cover the entire under belly of most 3 season trailers.

DBH_MI
Explorer
Explorer
Eternabond or Flex Seal tape both work exceptionally well on coroplast.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I have had limited to decent results with the gorilla.

However the only way to get a good stick is clean the underbelly area good with something like alcohol or lacquer thinner. Put the tape on and then follow up with the DW's hair drier for the final stick.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
How about GAFFER'S TAPE?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
newman fulltimer wrote:
Go to a mobile home dealer ask for a roll of belly tape its about 25.00 and once stuck it won't come off

If you mean the tape for designed for use on rodent barrier, it's terrible. It will fall off in short order and doesn't stick worth a krap. Companies that do that kind of work use patches made of the rodent barrier and stick it down with 3M aerosol adhesive.
Sorry but the tape is useless.

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to a mobile home dealer ask for a roll of belly tape its about 25.00 and once stuck it won't come off

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
If you want something that will last forever under any conditions, get a roll of High Temperature Flue Tape. It's the silver colored tape that is used on aluminum vents for furnaces and gas water heaters. The stuff so so strong, it will never give, under any conditions. Caution... you have only 1 chance to stick it on and it cannot be redone. So get it right the first time. Extremely strong stuff and extremely resilient to all kinds of weather conditions.

That's what I use Dutchman Sport is correct
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you want something that will last forever under any conditions, get a roll of High Temperature Flue Tape. It's the silver colored tape that is used on aluminum vents for furnaces and gas water heaters. The stuff so so strong, it will never give, under any conditions. Caution... you have only 1 chance to stick it on and it cannot be redone. So get it right the first time. Extremely strong stuff and extremely resilient to all kinds of weather conditions.

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
There is a woven tape made for this application. I don't know the name but any RV dealer should be able to tell you what it is. I used it on my last rv with great results.

Doug
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
profdant139 wrote:
Colo, based on a lot of experience, I have to say that I am disappointed in Gorilla tape in wet applications -- it does not stand up to the elements for very long. If it is applied in a place that is always dry, it is fine.

And I have not found any other duct tape type product that really stays put in wet places. So I will be reading this thread with great interest -- maybe there is a solution that I have overlooked!

I've had the same experience using Gorilla tape in this application.

There are exterior grade Duct tape's that are for use on roof top HVAC systems that might work. I costs more and is a thick, tar-like tape that is super sticky.
I bought it at Home Depot once by accident.
There's also a 6" wide tape for sealing around new windows during installation. I used it to seal the exposed back side of the tail lights in our TT and it's holding up fine.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Colo, based on a lot of experience, I have to say that I am disappointed in Gorilla tape in wet applications -- it does not stand up to the elements for very long. If it is applied in a place that is always dry, it is fine.

And I have not found any other duct tape type product that really stays put in wet places. So I will be reading this thread with great interest -- maybe there is a solution that I have overlooked!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."