cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Use onboard charger or external charger?

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
When we get our class c, and dry camp for more than a few days, if the batteries need charging, is it better to start the generator and use the onboard charger, or start the generator and plug in an external charger?... Just thinking that I would rather not run the generator for a long time so an external charger might be faster?
Proud father of a US Marine
16 REPLIES 16

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
If changing the convertor doesn"t appeal to you, use a external battery charger AND your convertor. You got the genny running anyway. My convertor will not charge the batterys by running the genny all day 8 am to 8 pm . (You can run your generator those hours in Federal parks such as Yellowstone) Mine ran all day to recharge, much to the consternation of neighbors. I now use both

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on your onboard charger. If you have a single stage charger like the Magnetek/Parallax, it is crap. You are better off replacing it with a real converter/charger or using an external charger. If you have a modern 3 stage charger like a Progressive Dynamics (w/charge wizard), just let the onboard charger do the job.

I replaced my fully functional and operating Magnetek 7345 a few years ago with a Progressive Dynamics 4655 and am very happy.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB