cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using 50 amp with 30 amp adapter?

precioustime
Explorer II
Explorer II
If a 30 amp connection on an electrical post on a camp site is not working properly is it safe to use an electrical adapter and connect my rv to the 50 amp? Just want to be sure since I have never done this.
9 REPLIES 9

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
parkmanaa wrote:
What you are actually doing when you use a 50 to 30 amp adapter is use only 1 of the 2 circuits provided for 50 amp service. You should be aware you now have 50 amps of power available in your RV.
If you use your power the same as with regular 30 amp service you are OK. Some seem to think knowing you now have 50 amps available you will not worry about tripping a 30-amp breaker, and can place extra strain on your wiring.
I have done it with no problems

you still only have 30 amps in the rv via your main breaker in your rv. it will trip like normal if you overload it.( retired electrician). if your main is 30 that is all you will get if it is working right.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
I always use the 50 amp instead of the 30 as a matter of choice. Much more likely to get positive power.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

Moved from Forum Technical Support

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I do it all the time.

MOD, Please move from FTS to the proper forum.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Like the others have stated, it's OK. Some even use the 50/30 amp adaptor when the 30 amp receptacle is available. 50 amp is less used and not as worn providing a tighter connection. ๐Ÿ˜‰

If people would only learn to throw the breaker off before plugging and unplugging the shore power cords to eliminate arcing and burning of the electrical contacts. :R

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
It is safe to do so.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes the 30 amp connector on the post has been abused, has broken parts and/or charred connectors. The 50 amp connector may be little used and better to use. The CG may want to charge more the a 50 amp connection but I won't tell if you won't.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
What you are actually doing when you use a 50 to 30 amp adapter is use only 1 of the 2 circuits provided for 50 amp service. You should be aware you now have 50 amps of power available in your RV.
If you use your power the same as with regular 30 amp service you are OK. Some seem to think knowing you now have 50 amps available you will not worry about tripping a 30-amp breaker, and can place extra strain on your wiring.
I have done it with no problems

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, have done it many times.