cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vinyl fencepost for sewer hose storage

RetiredBob
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to mount a 5"x5" vinyl fencepost for sewer hose storage. I'd like to drill a series of holes along the bottom to allow any liquid to drain out. How can I drill the holes without leaving burrs on the inside that could snag the hose?
34 REPLIES 34

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been using a fence post to hold my hoses for over 5 years now. I mounted the post on top of my camper's bumper. I bought allthread of the proper length and after measuring where the bends needed to be, heated the thread and bent it into a u shape. I drilled a piece of flat bar to accept the allthread under the bumper and bolted it into place. I drilled holes into each end and inserted a bolt. It holds the hoses in place, but allows plenty of air circulation. I did not drill any holes for drainage and have never had any problems.
Little by little, one travels far - J.R.R. Tolkien
There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:

This is also what I did. I just don't have pictures.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
There are some ideas for mounting and closing HERE.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine is tarp strapped (will soon double strap it) to the frame rails under my Damon Intruder.

I modified the "open" end of the post (the "Closed" end I simply screwed the cap on with screws)

I then attached the cover with a hinge on the top... (Had to use a shim or two under the pipe end of the common butt hinge) The end is modified so there is a "Tab" on the bottom, this tab extends through a "Slot" on the end cap (i may re-do it so it's just under the end cap by cutting the end cap)

A barrel latch drops through a hole in the tab

To keep it open when inserting/removing hose

I open the compartment door above it and let it close on the opened cap. this holds the cap, and then I need to get into that compartment anyway.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Hose holder with gutter drawer:

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
How are people keeping the cap on the fence post?

Hillyhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Where did you mount the post and what did you mount it to? Trying to figure out where to mount one on a B van. Photo examples would be very welcome if you have them. ๐Ÿ™‚

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Got my post cover @ HD about 5 years ago.....mounted at an angle sloping to the cap. Drilled 1" holes with a step drill. Never a problem with the burrs and I just slide the sewer hose with the connecters right into the post....put the fence post cap on and an done.
cpaulsen

Roundtwo-40
Explorer
Explorer
I used the U shaped gutter not the K shape.
2013 Jayco Eagle 328RLTS w/15K AC
2013 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4X4
Equalizer 14K,PI PT30C Surge

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
tvman44 wrote:
Do what I did, get a length of PVC gutter material and slip into the fence post to use as a sliding tray. Solves that problem and makes access to hoses even easier, I keep 2 10' hoses in mine. ๐Ÿ™‚

PenMan wrote:
I also use a plastic gutter inside the 5x5 fence post to slide the hose in.

Use the plastic gutter as a drawer. No worries about burrs and makes it easy to get things in/out.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't seen the posts at the Lowes or HD up here in Canada. Has anyone else found them?
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

RetiredBob
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, thanks for all the great replies. Need to think about them and figure out the best one!

3_0charlie
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same install, except the post was installed at a small angle: opening is high-side. A single hole required for drainage, bottom end.
John, DW and 4 kids.
2013 Kodiak 263RLSL
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 Hybrid

Roundtwo-40
Explorer
Explorer
Got my post cover 5x5 at Home Depot, use a step drill to drill holes in it.
2013 Jayco Eagle 328RLTS w/15K AC
2013 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4X4
Equalizer 14K,PI PT30C Surge