cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Want to replace my power center

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small TT with a cheap power center. I want to replace it with one that meets the following criteria:
1: The fan doesn't sound like an airplane revving.
2: Doesn't blow the main fuse every time I connect the battery.
3: I can leave the trailer plugged in without boiling the battery.
4: Has a few extra 12v outputs for other projects.
No need for more than 30 amps. My old trailer had a power converter/charger that I could attach a smart module to prevent battery damage if I left it plugged in all the time. Don't want to spend a ton on this, but something better than what Keystone put in has to be out there. The box that's in there is about 6" by 10" with a pop down lid. I believe it's an EMCO 8700 series. I'll check it after work. Thanks for any input.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!
13 REPLIES 13

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
Update
It blows the fuse if I unplug while the A/C is running, which I shouldn't be doing anyway. Never did hear back from Randy. Resolved as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for all the posts. I learned a lot.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Dealer service and preparation appears to be a common disaster.
If the trailer is new can you take it to a different dealer?
If the battery was sitting flat dead before pick up... the battery is probably shot.
If the salesman connected the battery it could have been installed backward.

8735 should work fine for your use.

Here is some reading: The 12 Volt Side of Life

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
The trailer is only a few months away from the dealer. When I picked it up, there was no 12v power at all. The service dude that was doing the walkthrough with me said that they forgot to plug it in to charge the battery. So he plugged it in and everything worked. I took it home and charged it for about a day and a half. Unplugged, and nothing worked. So I checked the fuses. The 40a fuse, which I was told was to protect against the battery being connected backwards was blown, and the #6 fuse I talked about above was out. I replaced them both and everything works fine, until it charges for a while. It gets between 50% and 75% charge and it blows that #6 fuse. Then, nothing 12v works unless we replace the fuse, or plug it in. We always camp with hook-ups, so it's not been a big deal. But we need to get it back to the dealer. We'll be done with our annual Siskiyou trip in two weeks, so I'll take it in then.

Thanks for the info that the 8735p is not going to be a problem. I was afraid of frying the battery.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
My WFCO 8725P stays connected 24/7 when in storage. It is charging and maintaining a pair of gel batteries that sell for $275 each. No problems after several years.

You can replace just the charging portion with some other brand converter and simply disable the one in the WFCO power center. It won't solve your issue though. It sounds as if you are overloading one of the branch circuits.

There is no way your converter could utilize a 15 amp fuse in the charging circuit since it puts out 35 amps. That is why it has 40 amp fuses in the charging circuit.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
"That #6 slot should be a branch circuit to some accessory or lighting circuit. This #6 branch circuit should not shut down the whole charging system and should not be connected direct to the battery.
This issue needs to be corrected before you swap anything."

This converter is a single piece. It's a swap all or nothing. It's going back to the dealer and getting fixed before I touch anything.

"The WFCO is a decent three stage converter which is perfectly fine for 90% or more of RV owners. It is only the drycamping/boondocking types that need a better converter."

I saw somewhere in another post that keeping this particular converter plugged in all the time would significantly reduce the life of the battery. Someone else was saying the third charging stage would rarely if ever be reached with the 8735. That's one of my problems. Give me too much information and I think too much about it. I was just wanting to not have to worry about keeping it plugged in when not in use. Thanks.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
RSD559 wrote:
Still waiting for a reply from Randy. E-mailed him on Tuesday. But now, things are a little more urgent. The 12v side of the inverter is popping fuses like crazy. When I have it plugged in, it will charge to a little more than half, and then blow the fuse that shuts down the 12v side. It's not the 40a polarity fuse, but the 15a fuse in the #6 slot on our WFCO 8735. This power center is a single unit for converting, charging and fusing. I'm guessing that part of it's use is protecting the charging circuit. I'll take it in to the dealer for warranty service, but still would like to look at what will nurture my batteries the best.

A branch circuit fuse burning is not the fault of the converter (not an inverter).

The WFCO is a decent three stage converter which is perfectly fine for 90% or more of RV owners. It is only the drycamping/boondocking types that need a better converter.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
RSD559 wrote:
The 12v side of the inverter is popping fuses like crazy. When I have it plugged in, it will charge to a little more than half, and then blow the fuse that shuts down the 12v side. It's not the 40a polarity fuse, but the 15a fuse in the #6 slot on our WFCO 8735. This power center is a single unit for converting, charging and fusing. I'm guessing that part of it's use is protecting the charging circuit. I'll take it in to the dealer for warranty service, but still would like to look at what will nurture my batteries the best.

That #6 slot should be a branch circuit to some accessory or lighting circuit. This #6 branch circuit should not shut down the whole charging system and should not be connected direct to the battery.

This issue needs to be corrected before you swap anything.

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
Still waiting for a reply from Randy. E-mailed him on Tuesday. But now, things are a little more urgent. The 12v side of the inverter is popping fuses like crazy. When I have it plugged in, it will charge to a little more than half, and then blow the fuse that shuts down the 12v side. It's not the 40a polarity fuse, but the 15a fuse in the #6 slot on our WFCO 8735. This power center is a single unit for converting, charging and fusing. I'm guessing that part of it's use is protecting the charging circuit. I'll take it in to the dealer for warranty service, but still would like to look at what will nurture my batteries the best.

JamesJudasPries
Explorer
Explorer
Consider the progressive dynamics mighty mini (Inteli-Powerยฎ 4000 Series). Combination AC and DC distribution, Breaker/fuse panel for each and it has a 45 amp or 60 amp converter built in, depending on model.

Fan is nearly silent, the converter portion is 3 stage so perfect for permanent plug in. High quality, made in USA unit. Has 12 DC fuse positions, pre-wired, and 2 of those positions have #10 wire for 30 amp circuits.

Cant beat that.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd never been to the BEST CONVERTER website. People should take a look at it, there's a lot of parts there that you might need some day.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

shepcal
Explorer
Explorer
Agree w/ calling Randy!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Probably need just a new converter. Not the whole load center.

www.bestconverter.com/PD4045-45-Amp-Inteli-Power-Mighty-Mini-Power-Center

Do not let Randy sell you anything WFCO.

Those fuses open because the battery is connected in reverse. Or possibly there is a short that needs repaired.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
BEST CONVERTER

Call & ask for Randy.

Can't go wrong here.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74