cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heater lighting

Fallin22
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 2006 cavalier FEMA trailer at our hunting camp and was wondering if someone can direct me on how to get the water heater to work? Thanks in advance
14 REPLIES 14

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fallin22 wrote:
Suburban sw10d is the model number. I will try to get a picture posted

Thanks for posting that information.

This is a DSI (direct spark ignition) water heater. The basic instructions are to ensure the gas supply is turned on and then flip the water heater switch somewhere in the trailer. It should work automatically from there. You can find manuals for it online with a bit of searching.

Assuming you've already found and tried the switch to no avail...the heater does need 12V power to run (and obviously propane). There's also an ECO thermostat that, if tripped, may need to be reset (I believe there's a red reset button on it).

The heater should open its gas solenoid valve, spark (click) several times, and then stay lit. If there's no sparking and no attempt at lighting, it's more likely something like no power, a bad electrical connection, a bad control board or igniter module, etc. If it clicks and sparks but no flames appear, it may not be getting gas, or the orifice in the burner may be clogged, or the spark electrode damaged or misaligned, perhaps among other faults. If there's air in the gas line it might just need to go through several cycles to clear out the air. If it lights momentarily but doesn't stay lit, probably the flame isn't being sensed properly, which is most likely a damaged or misaligned electrode. (I think these heaters use the spark ignition electrode to sense the flame.)

There are several people here with much more detailed knowledge and experience on the specifics of these heaters.

Fallin22
Explorer
Explorer
old-biscuit thanks! One last question I do have a hot battery and propane and also water supplied tonit. I also have power plugged into it do I need the battery with power supplied ?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fallin22 wrote:

No picture needed.

You have a gas only water heater with electronic ignition (sparker)

Do you have water supply on and water heater is full?
Do you have 12V DC supply.....good battery or via shore power and a converter?
Do you have PROPANE?

Turn water heater ON/OFF switch ON
Should hear sparker 'clicking' repeatedly and propane should flow/light off. Its automatic

No SPARK....
In outside compartment above gas valve is a rubber cover with 'Push to Reset'. Right button is for the propane high temp t-stat. If it tripped it shuts down the 12V DC (left button s for electric which you do not have)

If you had to reset then t-stats should be replaced...high temp only trips when water temp goes high (normal t-stat failed to work)
12V DC set of t-stats.....part number 232282

If didn't need reset then you need to trace/check/test 12V DC System and find where 12V DC stops

If it sparked but doesn't light...might need to repeat lighting cycle several times until propane flow is established.

12V DC System
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Fallin22
Explorer
Explorer

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty easy to diagnose if it's an LP water heater. Go out and look to see if there is a gas valve and some tubing to a burner.

Posting the model number off the heater will get better advice on how ignition happens.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Joe417 wrote:
A lot of the FEMA trailers I looked at had standard 120V water heaters instead of RV type gas water heaters.

They also had 120V refrigerators, regular household toilets, and no tanks.

They were very cheap to buy but one had to spend a lot of dollars to turn them back into RVs.

Hope that's not your case.

The RV industry built both Park Models and standard RV Trailers for FEMA, that the RV models used LP systems. Doug

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you post a picture of or the model number of the water heater?

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
we're sitting here guessing at what you have. you might have to call previous owner again and ask him

Fallin22
Explorer
Explorer
It does have regular size fridge and not water tanks. 8 am hooked to permanent sewer and have power and water to it. I just can't handle a cold shower lol

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of the FEMA trailers I looked at had standard 120V water heaters instead of RV type gas water heaters.

They also had 120V refrigerators, regular household toilets, and no tanks.

They were very cheap to buy but one had to spend a lot of dollars to turn them back into RVs.

Hope that's not your case.
Joe and Evelyn

Fallin22
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure the previous owner said it was propane water heater

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
depends if it is DSI or manual, one way to tell is open the door, if there is a big blue knob ( the thermostat)on the front,it is manual light and you will need to turn a knob on the top of the area above the burner to pilot, hold it down and light the pilot hold for a few minutes and let the button up, then turn it to heat
either way make sure there is water in the heater and air is out of the lines also run the stove for a few minutes to get the air out of the LP line.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's a FEMA trailer, I don't think they use gas.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

towhead
Explorer
Explorer
There should be a switch somewhere to turn it on. then if you have battery coming to it and gas it should light right up. sometimes a second switch on the heater itself.
Dave
2005 GMC Duramax 4x4 crew cab
2005 Cruiser CF28RL