Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Heater Question

Road_Trip_Rob
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!
I am working on a Atwood water heater # GC6AA-7P. This unit was missing the pilot light assembly so I had to buy a new one and install it. I bought a Pilot Assembly 9 Jade (Atwood) 91603. I light the pilot manually with a long grill lighter. The thermocouple does open the main gas tube valve. But it seems the pilot light tube is not in the right spot to light the main tube. The pilot light tube sits a little behind the end of the main gas tube. Should it be sitting more past the end of the main tube so the pilot flame will light the gas coming out of the main tube??? I'm not saying in front of the main tube. I'm saying on the side of the main tube but past the end of it. I was getting a little nervous listening to the gas come out of the main tube and the pilot flame not ignite it. Does the chamber the main tube dumps into have to fill up with gas before the pilot flame lights it? Any thoughts? Is the assembly I bought too short to light the main burner? Because it did not have an old one I have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks, Rob
3 REPLIES 3

Road_Trip_Rob
Explorer
Explorer
Update: There was no way to slot the holes to slide the pilot assembly in farther so I just bent the L bracket that holds it towards the end of the main tube and now it works! It put the pilot flame close enough to the end of the main tube that the gas coming out ignites.
Thanks for your help!!
Rob

Road_Trip_Rob
Explorer
Explorer
Ok that's what I thought. It did not seem right to me that it sat that far back from the main tube. But since there was not an old one on there I had nothing to compare with. And letting that gas build up in that chamber was not something I wanted to try. So I will slot the hole and slide it in farther and try that. It does have an igniter but that is not working. When I turn on the igniter switch I can hear the board making a noise but there is no spark. So for now I am using the long grill lighter to light the pilot. Thank You for your help & I will let you know how it goes!
Rob

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 91603 Jade Pilot Assembly is the correct one...only one available anymore (Robertshaw obsolete NLA)

Did you mount the Jade Pilot Assembly on Right Side of burner tube?
If not mounted/unable to mount on right side you will need new burner tube

Pilot Flame should stick just past end of burner tube spreader plate which should be parallel to end of tube

You might need to 'slot' the hole in burner bracket so you can insert pilot assembly in further

NO...RAW FUEL should NOT accumulate inside combustion chamber.....big bang/flare back/uncontrolled ignition
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31