cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heater won't light

robogobucks
Explorer
Explorer
I believe we may have ruin our hot water heater. We are new to RVing and we have a 5er. We were not aware of a bypass for the heater and tried to light it thinking there was water in it because the water was coming out of the hot water facet. How back it this? It will not light and we can't figure out why. Any info appreciated
17 REPLIES 17

robogobucks
Explorer
Explorer
Wow we tried the electric on the water heater (after we let it cool down) just in case we did not burn up the element and it worked. Woo Hoo

sodajerk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting the fix. It will help others with similar problems.
Happy Camping
Jim & Jo Ann
1973 Wide Body Superior Class B on a Chevy 1 Ton Van. 350 Fuel Injection
"Oldie but goodie"

robogobucks
Explorer
Explorer
Well, when I got home I tried starting the heater, it would not start, it did one time and stayed lit got several seconds. I decided to check all the connections, and the one with the orange cover was not connected, after connecting it it lit. Thanks again to all

robogobucks
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for your feedback I will let you know how it goes

Road_Runners
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you have rust in the propane burner. If you have access to an air compressor, try blowing the rust out. Nine times out of ten this works.
'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

robogobucks
Explorer
Explorer
We have pushed the reset buttons but they don't seem to work, do they pop out when they need reset?

Gjac, That is exactly what is going on

robogobucks
Explorer
Explorer
We will need to replace the element, but now we cannot get the gas to pilot to stay lit for the gas help

Sorry about the repost, didn't see the other so I thought I forgot to hit post

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Post what you are seeing. Does the LP make a clicking sound, the flame comes on for a short time then shuts off?

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Odds are the LP limit switch tripped- make sure to press both reset buttons shown on OB's picture.
-- Chris Bryant

robogobucks
Explorer
Explorer
Old Biscuit
I do believe we will need to replace the element.Now we can't get the gas to light. We are having a heck of a time. Hope someone can assist

Road_Runners
Explorer
Explorer
If you had the electric heating element on you probably toasted it. You can purchase the heating element at Home Depot. I speak from experience.
'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
W/o water in the tank, it doesn't take long to ruin the ac heating element if plugged into shore power, and that switch was on. Nor is it a big problem to replace, and not very expensive either.
But it should still operate in the propane mode. Tell us more about what it does and doesn't do. Do you hear any sparking sound, etc ?
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
The ON/OFF switch (lower left corner outside compartment) is for the Electric Element. IF you did not turn that switch ON when you had no water the electric element will be OK.

The Switch inside 5vr is for the propane side. IF you turned it ON when you had no water......the propane probably fired off BUT tripped due to tank getting hot.

The RED light is a fault light....telling you that a trip has occurred and you need to reset.

Turn all switches OFF, in outside compartment above gas valve is a rubber cover with 'Push to Reset' buttons on cover.
Push them.......they reset high temp t-stats
Left side is for electric element & right side is for propane (if tripped you will feel them reset)

Water heater tank bypass valve closed...water in WH tank THEN turn on to heat

Good luck!

Wow!!! Old Biscuit you took the time to prepare an outstanding, detailed reply. Nicely done !!

robogobucks
Explorer
Explorer
I believe we may have had the electric switch on, will it hurt it, how long does it take to hurt the heater if the electric is on without water?