cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water pump help----maybe

Went South a week ago and it was working fine but after a couple of days on the camp ground water we unhooked and our on board pump seems to have a problem---the pump is only 1 year old. This is a 1998 Monaco. It has a switch in the outside bay, in the bathroom and on the control panel. None of these work (red light does not come on) Only fuse I know of is in the panel over the bed and it is good+I changed it anyway. That fuse is for the water pump and the control panel. I checked power to the one in the bathroom and the one outside and for some reason it shows about 6.5 volts. Everything 12 volt on the up front control panel that is 12 volts works as does the light on the same panel as the pump in the bathroom. I will bypass everything tomorrow and make sure the pump is working. Help!
12 REPLIES 12

Open thanks. Got it wired now so it works and a real fix is on hold for now. Holidays and leaving for FL the 28th so it it will wait till I get back home. Lots of wires at that switch on the control panel.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I can't check right now but when it worked no matter which switch I activated the other red light also came on. The green light at the control panel switch may, I say MAY, have stayed on all the time. It has a bunch of wires to it. The way I have it now when I turn on the light, power, all 3 lights 2 red and one green at the panel come on. It works fine the way I have it now although not correct.

Ground seems to be fine at the pump. I see no kind of controller at the pump. Wires go into a harness and disappear up into who knows where.

Maybe the problem is at the green switch. Try checking voltage at each of the multiple wires and see if you get one terminal that has 6 volts when the switch is on. If so then temporarily run 12 volts to that wire and see if the problem goes away.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

This post was on here 4 days it looks like then kicked to the curb with no solution. Maybe I can get it back up as I see others that have been on for months

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Clicking relays suggest he does not have a solid state Intellitec but rather some other kind of controller. A single low power relay controlled by the switches could supply the high current needed by the motor. 6.5V I believe he said is a problem.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

I can't check right now but when it worked no matter which switch I activated the other red light also came on. The green light at the control panel switch may, I say MAY, have stayed on all the time. It has a bunch of wires to it. The way I have it now when I turn on the light, power, all 3 lights 2 red and one green at the panel come on. It works fine the way I have it now although not correct.

Ground seems to be fine at the pump. I see no kind of controller at the pump. Wires go into a harness and disappear up into who knows where.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Your coach has an Intellitec water pump controller. It is normally mounted in close proximity to the pump. They are very reliable (no mechanical relays, all solid state). I suspect one of your momentary switches has failed in the closed position.
Unplug a switch and try a different switch. Continue this process for all 3 switches. Hopefully you'll find a bad switch. The system will continue to work with the bad switch unplug.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok there are two ways the water pump is controlled (or 3)
one is a switch, or two "3-way" switches this is the best controller..

The other is an electronic box with mulitple switches.. that controller can fail as it contains relays and such.. Same as a slide controller or step controller
(And I've two slide controllers fail) My guess is the clicking inside the wall is a failed controller. There may be an easy fix but alas that kind of design work I need to be eyes or hands on. But basically I'll outline And I stress this is a short term fix.

Remove power lead from pump. run a 12 volt FUSED lead TO (NOT CONNECTED) the pump area. Install a relay.. 10 amps capacity or more.. 12 volt low current coil
Hook existing feed to relay coil and other coil lead to ground (Make sure it's a good ground)

Hook hot wire and pump to relay contacts.

NOTE: Someone ask where you were measuring the 6.5 v
IF across the motor it might be a bad ground on the pump.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

No in line fuse. what is this intelletec relay and any clue where it might be? Something is clicking inside the wall at the front control panel (LPG, Fresh, black,grey, water, & battery)where there is also a switch with a green light for the water pump. It clicks when any of the 3 water pump switches are hit. The pump works and as a temporary fix I have wired from the bathroom light so when the light is on the red light comes on at that location as well as at the front panel and in the basement along with the water pump. Switch off the light and everything stops. With this fix when the light is on the pump works but the pressure switch will cut it off as soon as it reaches max pressure.

Still don't know what is wrong.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
haddy1 wrote:
You can test the pump by applying 12v directly to the pump, but I suspect that the pump is not your issue. Your coach probably has an Intelletec(sp) or similar relay to control the pump and the red lights. Either it has failed, or there is a loose connection.
My guess as well. It's good to know if you have the Intellitec/multiplex system in your RV for trouble shooting.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
You can test the pump by applying 12v directly to the pump, but I suspect that the pump is not your issue. Your coach probably has an Intelletec(sp) or similar relay to control the pump and the red lights. Either it has failed, or there is a loose connection.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is showing 6 volts? and does it have anything to do with the power to the pump?

The pump will not run on 6 volts. If it is getting 6 volts then there is a problem with the wiring. You will need to track down where the issue is and fix it.

There is no point to change a good fuse, fuses are either good or blown.

The red light on the switch could be burned out, but likely there is no power is the reason given that the pump stopped at the same time.

Just start checking for voltage and when you get to a no-voltage place, then that is where the issue begins.

Loose wires, corroded wire can be connected or touching but not conduct enough power to run the pump, dont be fooled by looks.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Look at the pump itself. There should be an in-line fuse in the positive wire just a few inches from the body of the pump.