cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water pump leaking

hellbird503
Explorer
Explorer
My water pump is dripping out of one of the connections. I never use this pump and am not sure why there would be water in it, unless a check valve is bad. The connection is not like any I have seen, it is a Shurflo pump. Would like some info on this before I start messing with it. Thanks, Dave
2012 F350 Diesel Dually
2008 NuWa Hitchhiker Discover America 35ft
6 REPLIES 6

hellbird503
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, now I understand. I did find that my fresh water tank was partially full. So, apparently the check valve in the pump needs to be replaced, but, since I don't plan on using it I will just cap off the water line. Thanks for your help, Dave
2012 F350 Diesel Dually

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Not really strange. The output line from the pump and the line from the city water connection are teed together. The city water will pressurize the line back to the pump where the check valve is located to prevent flow back to the fresh water tank.

That is why when someone is not connected to an outside water line and has the check valve at the city water connection fail, the onboard pump will drain the fresh water holding tank.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand- the output side is pressurized by the shore hookup. That's the standard way of doing it. The inlet comes from the tank, the output goes to the system, which is also fed by the shore water hookup.

I've seen the clips on Flojet, but not Shurflo. Leaking would mean an o-ring on this styleI believe.
-- Chris Bryant

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is getting strange. Did you buy this used? Someone do some creative plumbing?

I've never seen any 'clip' of any kind on a water pump fitting. Is your water tank full?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

hellbird503
Explorer
Explorer
Update: Pulled clip off of outlet side of pump where it has been dripping and got a full stream of water from the hose, had to send the wife outside to shut the water off. If this is the outlet side of the pump why would I have water coming to the pump from that side? Thanks for your help, Dave
2012 F350 Diesel Dually

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you never use the pump, why not take it out? That might solve the problem.

Also, on my pump, the glass filter bowl got loose and started to drip -- I hand-tightened it. Problem solved.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."