cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What are circuit breakers in tongue area for?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just what are the surface stud-mounted 12VDC circuit breakers on the A-frame for? Is one for the power jack and the other the brakes? I can't seem to find anything on a forum or internet.

Is there a generic wiring diagram on the internet somewhere or do they differ somewhat between makes? Do they have to electrically be where they mount them? They also seem vulnerable where they are.
8 REPLIES 8

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
This is pretty typical installation. At least you are aware of problem area and can do some modifications instead of waiting until it breaks.
I would suggest in your "spare" time, redo the splices in the junction box. Make sure you do one splice at a time. I would suggest getting some electrical grease, coat each wire with an ample amount and then reconnect with properly sized wire nuts.
No, the small circuit breakers are an internal bi-metal type. Many of the circuit breakers have plastic housings.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
I would not move them farther away. I would see if they would fit inside the battery box. Maybe mounted on lid.
How about an weather-tight plastic electrical box mounted in same location? Nice box is made for small battery installation on utility trailers.http://www.tekonsha.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=0&catID=1465โˆ‚=2018
You are correct that they should be protected in some way.

A plastic rain-tight electrical box or in the battery box is a good idea unless the frame acts as a bit of a heat sink? I bugs me the way they sit out in the open like they do with exposed terminals. There's also the typical 4x4 metal box there too and they just use regular wire nuts on the wires. It seems like corrosion waiting to happen...

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
myredracer wrote:
We have one slide and a power tongue jack so that would make sense.

I seem to recall a fuse in the panel marked "slide". Will have to wait to go check as we are having a rare dump of snow today and the TT is kind of buried at the moment.

Is there any reason why they can't be relocated rearward a foot or two to get out of the rain better? Why are they near the battery - is it to better protect the positive wire to the battery from overload or short circuit?

Pretty sure they're the auto-reset type.

I've got two in the same location and one is for the slide out and the other is between the vehicle charging and battery and to the converter. I had to replace mine due to corrision and when I did I coated them in the 3M ScotchKote to protect them better. They are there to serve much the same function as fusable links and you want them as close to the battery as possible so I wouldn't move them much further away from the battery.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would not move them farther away. I would see if they would fit inside the battery box. Maybe mounted on lid.
How about an weather-tight plastic electrical box mounted in same location? Nice box is made for small battery installation on utility trailers.http://www.tekonsha.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=0&catID=1465โˆ‚=2018
You are correct that they should be protected in some way.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have one slide and a power tongue jack so that would make sense.

I seem to recall a fuse in the panel marked "slide". Will have to wait to go check as we are having a rare dump of snow today and the TT is kind of buried at the moment.

Is there any reason why they can't be relocated rearward a foot or two to get out of the rain better? Why are they near the battery - is it to better protect the positive wire to the battery from overload or short circuit?

Pretty sure they're the auto-reset type.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could be the use of a DC circuit breaker instead of a "battery fuse" which is often found on the positive wire within 18" of the battery.

Some of the CBs used for that are auto-reset and others are manual reset with a little black button to push.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Should be at least one feeding the DC panel in rig. Should be fair sized wire connected to DC panel. #6 or larger in most cases.
One for power jack
One for each slide
Should be no circuit breaker/fuse in brakes

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
Each slide-out should have one. The brakes usually do not go through a circuit breaker.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL