Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what are these components?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi

This is a picture of the progressive industries surge suppressor.

Does anyone know what these items are?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
32 REPLIES 32

westom
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Yes, the MOVs used for surge protection are considered sacrificial and can eventually fail if they sustain sufficient surges but in such a case all one needs to do is call Progressive and they will mail out by USPS a new MOV circuit board.

Sacrificial MOVs violate MOV manufacturer datasheets. A sacrificial protector did not do protection. That catastrophic failure is completely unacceptable - considered a human safety threat. Normal failure mode for MOVs is degradation. That means MOVs still operate; but at voltages at least 10% from its original design.

A word 'surge' has numerous meanings. For example, polarity reversal is a surge. Too little voltage is a surge. Too much current is a surge. No surge protector protects from all. A protector used in homes protects from surges different from what PI would protect from in campgrounds. Honest answers numerically detail various anomalies.

Surges most often addressed in campgrounds are floating ground, high or low voltage, and reversed polarity. To say more requires numeric specs for that model.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Almot,

I thought the PI unit had better surge protection than the Hughes. I posted the picture because I could not believe the PI unit would only use MOV type surge protection. I guess I was wrong (again).

I don't need anything more than very basic surge protection. However I did spend 4 hours plus parts to assemble the Sola. The good part is that I can check it is actually working because of how I added outlets.

Most folks do not wish to "roll their own" but the Sola may be a more effective autoformer than the Hughes, having three "levels" of boost, and one level of buck. However I've only measured below 100 volts once, so that probably isn't a good reason for the Sola.

If you plan on Mexico where both boost and buck would be needed then the Sola is a heck of a lot better buy at $178 US verus $387 US for the Hughes. The Hughes is more fully featured and has some surge in place.

Almot wrote:
Hey Don, is this why said that Hughes with surge ($400?) would've been better than $200 SOLA + $400 PD surge? ๐Ÿ˜‰
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
I KNOW what they are:p Doug

You'd be surprised ... many don't. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey Don, is this why said that Hughes with surge ($400?) would've been better than $200 SOLA + $400 PD surge? ๐Ÿ˜‰

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
X2, I also have one.

AdamBryner2012 wrote:
That's the remote display for a hardwired Progressive EMS.
I know this why? I have one...

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/#!rv-power--surge-hardwired/c1p4w
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The big black box is of course the case, Inside the case the blue things are MOV's spike supressors that handle short high voltage SPIKES lasting usually less than 1/50th of a second. The big thing with the screws is a relay or at that level a "Contactor" (another name for a high power relay) Top right is the electronics

Bubble wrap,, the bottom left one looks like a ferrite ring, this is used as a current sensor. Top right one I can not see through but it might be a w2nd one.. or one of them could be the remote panel

"Telephone" cord connects the remote to the HW X0c
Bottom package is crimp on lugs for the wires
This looks liek a 30 amp unit.

Does this help.. You should have a manual that explains all of this.. I'm going on training, but I've never actually seen one of these. so it's all training.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
While you have it open, check the nuts that hold the big relay to the case. On mine, all 4 nuts worked off and rattled around till jamming the relay. Put red lock tight on each one of mine after that. If you hear any rattling go ahead and pop the case.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing that should be noted and not discussed is The external display also has a Bypass switch: This switch is located on the remote panel, and allows the user to bypass the computer circuit in the EMS in the event of computer failure, thus allowing source power into the RV. This does not disable the surge protection portion of the EMS.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I KNOW what they are:p Doug

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
CJW8 wrote:
When it absorbs too much surge and fails, PD says to return it. The circuit board with the MOV's is probably then replaced as they are sacrificial.

Yes and No. ๐Ÿ˜‰ The OP is talking specifically about a hard wire Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C. Yes, the MOVs used for surge protection are considered sacrificial and can eventually fail if they sustain sufficient surges but in such a case all one needs to do is call Progressive and they will mail out by USPS a new MOV circuit board. The fact the hard wire version is field serviceable is one of several reasons I chose to buy a hard wire version rather than a portable EMS-PT30C which is sealed and must be returned to Progressive for repair.

FWIW, Progressive refers to these devices as "RV Power & Surge Protection", an important distinction as these EMS units do far more than a simple surge protector.

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
When it absorbs too much surge and fails, PD says to return it. The circuit board with the MOV's is probably then replaced as they are sacrificial.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sound Guy,

Thanks for the answer on the type of surge suppression the PI offers.
Regards, Don

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my own Progressive EMS-HW30C ...

Circuit board at top left contains MOVs used for surge protection, circuit board to the top right controls all the other functions, including the contactor which is in the middle, with the current sensor wrapped around the output cable.

This closeup view shows the blue trim pot at the top left used for calibrating the unit and at the top right is where the time delay jumper would normally be located, with delay set to 15" with the jumper in place, 136" with the jumper removed. I've removed the jumper in mine and wired a SPST switch to the jumper receptacle contacts so I can instantly switch delay without having to open the box.

And here's the small delay jumper I removed ...

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

AdamBryner2012
Explorer
Explorer
That's the remote display for a hardwired Progressive EMS.
I know this why? I have one...

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/#!rv-power--surge-hardwired/c1p4w