cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you keep plugged in

Blemaire
Explorer
Explorer
We have a motor home and was wondering what do you keep running at all times the a/c or the refrigerator ? We have it plugged in and the refrigerator is plugged in. Well I have some people saying I need to have the a/c on instead of the frig. I am clues and don't want to call the people I bought it from .
21 REPLIES 21

lostdog
Explorer
Explorer
Noticed the OP has disappeared!
Chuck n Terri
2017 Heartland 3875FB
2016 Chevy 3500 Duramax
Rica, the old cat
Max E. Dog, the puppy dog
Kirby, the old dog, passed but not forgotten

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can only imagine what is happening in the interior of a motorhome setting around in the sun when not being used. 120 degrees on up interior temperatures would have to be ruining a lot of stuff inside both it's structure and what you have in it.

Considering what one pays for RVs, we keep the A/C turned ON (a high degrees setting) during the summer when sitting in the back yard ... along with a thermostatically controlled roof vent fan. In the winter we keep an electric heater set to about 50 degrees plugged in and turned ON all the time inside the RV to prevent mold/mildew formation and frozen water systems.

Penny-wise and pound-foolish usually winds up being foolish. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

kcny
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
ReadyToGo wrote:
...I have no idea why anyone would run an AC or keep the refrig plugged in. Maybe someone can explain that.

sure...it helps support spontaneity. when the RV is home, plugged in and the reefer running we can literally take off in 30-mins. the pantry is stocked with non-perishables, the closet and drawers are stocked with second set of clothing, second set of kitchen pots, pans, etc. all we need to add is perishable food to the reefer, hook up the toad and off we go.

Ditto on the quick take-off and being ready to go whenever.

I keep my fridge on and fully stocked at all times and we just make sure we eat perishable items during the week (when grocery shopping, we have a separate list for the RV fridge). Even when parked at home we'll frequently eat lunch or dinner in the RV - and sometimes the kids and I will "go camping in the driveway" over the weekend.

I also keep the charger on for the batteries.
32' 1992 Holiday Rambler 1000

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Strange question indeed. Why keep running items that you don't need?

I can TAD understand the need to keep the fridge cool when getting ready for camping, but wouldn't do this unless I plan to leave in less than 24 hours. Yes, ammonia fridge is slow to cool down, but 24 hours is enough, at least for mine.

MrWizard
moved from technology corner
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Plugged in to keep the converter on - nothing else.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I have a sister who has a snowbird home in Phoenix, and when she leaves in April she turns the a/c to 80 degrees and pays to run it all summer, cooling an empty house.
Well I have a winter condo in Mesa, and I learned the hard way that I have to run a/c in the summer. One summer I didn't and virtually every plastic item in the place had softened, warped, or melted. So now I turn the a/c to 90, and accept the $120 July power bill as a cost of owning the place, just like the taxes.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
ReadyToGo wrote:
...I have no idea why anyone would run an AC or keep the refrig plugged in. Maybe someone can explain that.

sure...it helps support spontaneity. when the RV is home, plugged in and the reefer running we can literally take off in 30-mins. the pantry is stocked with non-perishables, the closet and drawers are stocked with second set of clothing, second set of kitchen pots, pans, etc. all we need to add is perishable food to the reefer, hook up the toad and off we go.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
None for us also. We do keep the doors open of the refrig.
We do disconnect the house battery and a few days before we leave, we charge that up with a trickle charger. The day before, we plug in and cool the refrig.
I have no idea why anyone would run an AC or keep the refrig plugged in. Maybe someone can explain that.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
greenrvgreen wrote:
I have a sister who has a snowbird home in Phoenix, and when she leaves in April she turns the a/c to 80 degrees and pays to run it all summer, cooling an empty house. Go figure.

we do the same. before we started slightly cooling the house we came home from a trip and found that some candles had softened to the point where they became U shaped.
bumpy

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
Since the fridge is going to need two days (or more) to cool down, leave the fridge plugged in. I like my fridge cold enough to freeze milk and make eggs burst (I don't drink milk and I use powdered eggs, but I like a cold fridge).

Regarding the air conditioner, I notice the OP is from Louisiana, so maybe someone from that climate can chime in on whether to pre-cool the RV. I have a sister who has a snowbird home in Phoenix, and when she leaves in April she turns the a/c to 80 degrees and pays to run it all summer, cooling an empty house. Go figure.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Blemaire wrote:
We have a motor home and was wondering what do you keep running at all times the a/c or the refrigerator ? We have it plugged in and the refrigerator is plugged in. Well I have some people saying I need to have the a/c on instead of the frig. I am clues and don't want to call the people I bought it from .

As others have indicated, you need to provide more information since "at all times" includes camping, storage and travel.

When camping we keep AC and fridge running at the same time since both are needed. The the RV or the campground can't handle that I'd get another camper or find a different place to camp.

When in storage nothing is plugged in and nothing is on.

When driving, the fridge is on since the AC works off electric current.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
BuckBarker wrote:
None.

:h
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_