cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is Normal Brake Wear?

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield 5th-wheel. (36-foot with dual axles.) I had the wheel bearings repacked, brake wear checked, brakes adjusted, and tires rotated at 7,500 miles (at Les Schwab). I was told that the brakes were in good shape, but should have them checked every time I have the wheel bearings repacked.

At 15,000 miles, I took the trailer back to Les Schwab. (Note: It was my intention to have the bearings repacked every 6,000 miles as recommended by Crossroads; however, I postponed the service both times due to being on the road and not wanting to trust a service center far from home.)

This time i was told that the brakes shoes were beyond worn out and had scored and caused "hot spots" on all four drums. I needed new electric brake assemblies which included new shoes and new magnets, new drums, and new bearings and seals. Had the condition of the shoes been noticed sooner, I would have been looking at around $1100 for new brakes. Instead, it cost me around $2400.

Les Schwab came up with various ideas as to what could have caused the damage (stuck shoe, stuck magnet, etc.), but all made sense for only one or two wheels and made no sense for all four wheels.

Obviously, I will have the brakes checked more often in the future, but I do have some questions:

Is it normal for brakes to wear this quickly? If not, what could have caused premature wear? (Note: I would have expected the wear to be less than average as I always use the exhaust brake going down grades and rarely have to use the brakes.)

How often do others check for brake wear?

Thanks
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
37 REPLIES 37

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Trailer brake pads are pretty thin to start with. If a "tech" isn't familiar with that fact he/she may assume they're worn down when they really aren't.

OTOH, if you have to use a lot of brake coming down mountains then they can wear just like you see. That's still very fast brake wear though.

LS is a very reputable store. I doubt they would try to cheat anyone and besides, they have so much business that they don't have to.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Another vote for is sounds way overpriced...which leads to questions if they really were that bad or if they didn't cause it with the original service.

I would take it to someone else to take a look.

Unless you do a lot of stop&go city driving or do a lot of hard breaking down mountains...trailer brakes should last a very long time for typical freeway driving with minimal braking.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
I think you should find another "trusted" service center.
While replacing entire brake assembles is common and often cheaper than replacing the parts, the drums can be turned, and I would question the need for bearings. As mentioned there are cheaper places to get the parts.
That being said, the amount of brake wear depends on how much you use the brakes. Makes sense right? But it also depends on where the brakes are used. If you have been in the mountains, you will use the brakes more and harder. Perhaps over heating them.
Also, how you have the brake controller and shoes adjusted will affect the wear as well.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess it would depend on the frequency and duration of your braking as to how long brake shoes should last. My triple axle has about 20,000 miles when I checked the brakes last year and they still looked good. But that's a 15,000 lb. triple axle toyhauler. Might be that a double axle will wear the brakes out quicker.

OTOH maybe they weren't set correctly from the last time and they have been wearing a lot faster than normal. Or like Click and Clack often posit: The shop foreman may have had a boat payment due. ๐Ÿ™‚

Personally I would give them a pass the next time and take it to a real trailer shop that works mainly on trailers and trailer axles. JMO of course.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did 'Les Schwab' show you each/all of this 'damage'?

Were the drums scored, hot spotted?

Were the magnets worn, face of magnet slanted, discolored?

Typically recommended service is at 6000 miles for brake 'adjustments' and 12,000 miles for bearing repack and brake assembly inspections

Personally I think 'Les Schwab' over adjusted your brakes and caused the beginning of your issues back at that 7500 mile service
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I lost a set of brakes in less than a year, linings let loose and came off. For the what they want to do your brake job, is way over priced. Parts will run you $150-$175 per wheel at most, that is a complete backing plate and new hub assembly. If you shop around, you can get the parts for about $125 per wheel, that is what I spent for 7,000 pound axles.

For the money they want, you could easily have disc brakes installed. When my drum brakes went the second time,in less than a year and 5,000 miles, I went disc. The kit cost me $1600 at my door. I spent 6.5 hours installing, I'm a former line mechanic for KW. Should of done the conversion sooner, there is no comparison.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't know but E-trailer sells the entire brake assembly, shoes and all for a lot less. So does Dexter axle. Only 4 nuts to take off to install.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB