cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What runs on battery?

zorr59
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I've read several of the post throughout this forum. I thought I read somewhere those who boondock have TV. I don't. The only thing that runs when I boondock are the lights, radio, bed lifts and exhaust fans. I have (1) 12v battery. Does this sound right?

2012 Dutchman rubicon M2600 TH
2011 GMC Sierra 2500hd duramax
2012 Dutchman Rubicon 2600 TH. 27ft
2009 Harley Ultra Classic
23 REPLIES 23

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
ZORR59 - The first biggest thing you can do is replace all of the AUTOMOTIVE type lamp bulbs with very low wattage LED units. The automotive light bulb will draw around 1AMP of DC CURRENT and each ceiling unit most often have two bulbs in one fixture. You can get up to 12AMPS BATTERY drain pretty quick just running your ceiling lights. Since all of your ceiling lights runs off the batteries this could add up to a really big current drain...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
A much easier answered question, "What doesn't run on battery?"
Answer, "the microwave and air conditioner", unless you are a solar powered "big Strap" then there is nothing that does not run on battery thru a 3000 watt inverter.

If its the television you are concerned about, just get a little cheap 150 watt "inverter" connect it to the batteries, and plug in the ty/dvd/sat receiver.

And if it mite be "sat tv" you want, just take your sat receiver from home, and connect it to a portable tripod dish,......or install an automatic sat finder dish on the RV,.....or buy a portable automatic sat finder dish.
This is all very simple and expensive ??;)
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis M M wrote:
Lots of good info on your RV electrical here The 12 Volt Side of Life

x2! should be required reading by RV newbies.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
zorr59 wrote:
Ok I've read several of the post throughout this forum. I thought I read somewhere those who boondock have TV. I don't. The only thing that runs when I boondock are the lights, radio, bed lifts and exhaust fans. I have (1) 12v battery. Does this sound right

You forgot one big item - a fridge. It draws a lot of energy from battery, about 10-15 AH a day, when running in propane mode. Only some old models with mechanical thermostat don't need 12V.

If you want to boondock for longer than a day, you need a 2nd battery or a source of power like solar or generator. (Or - both 2nd battery and source of power). Most boondockers these days carry some solar even if they have a generator. Quieter and better for batteries.

An energy-efficient LED TV, with all other things that you mentioned, will run on 2*12V or 2*6V battery about a weekend without charging. TV is not usually on 12V, it needs a small inverter.

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good info on your RV electrical here The 12 Volt Side of Life
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Typical 30A trailer wiring configuration...

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
zorr59 wrote:
Ok I've read several of the post throughout this forum. I thought I read somewhere those who boondock have TV. I don't. The only thing that runs when I boondock are the lights, radio, bed lifts and exhaust fans. I have (1) 12v battery. Does this sound right?

2012 Dutchman rubicon M2600 TH

Your fridge also needs 12 V power to the electronic control board. the propane detector and possibly your CO detector are hardwired to the 12 V system as well.

There are 12 V TVs available, even TV/DVD combos. But you need a 12V outlet available. Depending on your battery capacity, one of these might be too much of a power suck to be practical.

Some RVs have a built-in inverter to run a TV and possibly some of the 120V outlets.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Propane fridge controls, furnace fan and controls, thermostat, propane detector, water pump, ignition for propane water heater, slide motors; to add a few more possible items to your list.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty much. The RV is designed so most stuff that are not power hogs are 12v. The stuff that are NOT 12v are things like the microwave, air conditioner and outlets.

Those who boondock and have TV have an inverter that "inverts" 12v power from the battery back to 120v for the TV. It probably only operates 1 or 2 outlets in the entire RV, the outlet(s) where TV's are located.

My RV has a 300 watt inverter that powers the outlets in the front cabover entertainment center, and the rear bedroom TV location.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB