cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where did you get your Electrical knowledge?

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I've been a member for a short time and have noticed the electrical knowledge on here surprises me. And I'm grateful for your sharing. There has been couple times that I wish this forum had a "donate" button for some of the response's.

For myself I can figure out easy stuff with a volt meter and sometimes on the right position for what I'm doing or track down a bad connection or fuse:B

OK...It's been bugging me, I just have to ask.

Where did you get your knowledge at? IMO some people must of been elec engineers, others a life long hobby?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
77 REPLIES 77

ken_white
Explorer
Explorer
ET-A School in the USCG in 1980 and the retired from the USCG in 2000 after 20 years - ETCM (E-9).

During my time in the USCG, went to night school for 14+ years and finally finished a Graduate Degree in Electrical Engineering in 2000.

Registered as a Professional Engineer in Ohio.

FCC Extra Class Amateur Radio License and FCC General Radiotelephone Operator License with RADAR endorsement.

Professor of Electronics Engineering Technology at Lakeland Community College in Ohio.

So, getting close to 35 years of experience...

:B
2014 RAM C&C 3500, 4x4, Club Cab, Hauler Bed, DRW, Aisin, 3.73's, etc...

2013 DRV Tradition 360 RSS
LED Lighting
570W of ET Solar Panels
MorningStar MPPT 45
Wagan 1000W Elite Pro Inverter
Duracell EGC2 Batteries with 460 A-H Capacity

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I started with Knight Kit radios and then heath Kit, Studied electronics in college and have a certificate to that effect, have held a Ham Radio license for over 45 years, and have designed and built part of my station with my own hands and soldering iron. (in fact several parts of several stations) Electrical (As opposed to electronics) knowledge was self taught in both my parents house and my own. (And lots and lots of research).

Started back when radios had those glass things called TUBES in them, now work with Transistors and ICs but ... You know.. I miss that old tube radio sound.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Path1 - does it really matter?

Though after 7 pages of same old, it appears that your guess in the very first post pretty much covers it - either through college, or work/hobby. There isn't anything else, is it?

If you are still considering that big solar powerhouse on a small RV - you've probably realized already what can be done here. Which isn't much.

Again, on that previous thread of yours, somewhere on the first page, there was a link to solar and 12V basics by Jack Myers. At this age people normally don't take B.Sc. university course. Learning a few basic bits is all you can realistically achieve. It's like learning a foreign language in your 60s or 70s - you'll know what I mean if you start doing those trips South that you planned. Know thy limits. What really sucks is that those limits come closer and closer as years go by.

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at a holiday inn express

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
2 year Electronic Technician degree. Have been working with electronics last 30 years including 3rd party (UL, CSA, CE, NEMA, CCC, etc...) certification work. Took a couple National Electrical Code classes. Hopefully I'll be done with this stuff in a couple years.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I hardly knew anything but auto electrical before hvac tech school in the mid 70s. Then the experience came in leaps and bounds, almost every day since then. Every job has had very different challenges from refrigerators to boiler and chiller work/troubleshooting. I learned the most working on process controls at a pharma plant for 18 years. I love troubleshooting and retrofitting the old obsolete electric/electronic and pneumatic controls with the late electronic controllers. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
WCKY Cincinatti, WSM Nashville, on a crystal, with WW2 military headphones. 100' outside antenna strung between trees.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
Naval training, then a thirty year career in the service. :C Ditto for the hubby except his career was for 42 years.
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Harvard wrote:
Not to forget the value of the ARRL Handbooks.

You're right. They were my bible as a teenage ham.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Not to forget the value of the ARRL Handbooks.

bukzin
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
having to "do it myself", common sense, reading Time-Life home repair, working as a computer (main-frame) tech, learning from father and father-in-law, paying attention to the world around me, others (and mine) mistakes. Don't tackle things I can't handle, knowing my limits.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot those Time-Life books.

With excellent illustrations and diagrams that series of publications is
super useful.

Here are used ones on Amazon for $4, including delivery.

http://www.amazon.com/Wiring-Repair-Improvement-Updated-Series/dp/0783538626

I'd say these are must haves for most folks.

These books are written by trade (plumbing, woodworking, etc) but here is also copy of a all-in-one version from the same editors.

Here is a review from Amazon...

8 of 8 people found the following review helpful
You CAN fix it yourself
By KDub on June 6, 2005
I was about to junk a 10-year old dryer that wouldn't heat, because the repairman warned me that his visit was going to cost a minimum of $169 for diagnosis, repair time, and parts. Using this book I got out my $15 Sears multi-tester and unscrewed the back panel of my dryer. (The book even shows you how to use testing tools). Within a minute I found the bad part. I looked up the part number, found one on Ebay for $8.99 plus shipping... It came two days later and I had it installed in 3 minutes. My husband thinks I should start a new career as an appliance repairwoman. If I did, I'd use this book.
1 Comment Was this review helpful to you?
Yes
No

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Fix-It-Yourself-Manual-Time-Life-Books/dp/0671765418/ref=pd_sim_b_27?ie=UTF8&refRID=0DZHTJDDWCK039BVZV4B#customerReviews
2006 Monaco Diplomat 41'
Cummins 400hp ISL CM850

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Basic electronics in the Navy. Became department scrounge and special products designer/builder.

Duo-diode, hi-mu triode,
Oscillator, oscillator,
Rah, rah, rah!

Worked in commercial and defense contractor companies for over 40 years troubleshooting/repairing anything and everything from multimeters to gigantic radars including their computers.

Worked as engineer in amazing variety of jobs - things I never even heard of, but enjoyed every single one of them. Test engineer was one of my favorites. I got to design and build specialized test equipment for anything from components to systems.

Would there be any interest in having a forum category here for tutorials?
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Bult crystal sets in the early '70's- I could see the WWV antenna farm out my bedroom window, and could receive the time signal on my teeth 🙂

Then built a PAiA 2700 synthesizer in '74-75. Dropped out of college (music performance major) to go on the road playing. Wound up doing concert lighting and sound for years on the road- then attended Full Sail recording school, and of course, that led to repairing RVs.

🙂
-- Chris Bryant

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
weedrancher wrote:
Just basic electronics as a missile tech the Air Force more than thirty years ago. I've forgotten a lot over the years but I get by.

I was stationed at Vandenberg AFB dealing with communications. It was fun to listen to the countdowns on our equipment and then run outside to watch the launch.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
In the late 70's I studied to do HVAC, since then it's been hands on or reading.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator