cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wix or Fram filter?

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Has WIX always been the Fram color? Or have I been living in a cave and maybe didn't here about one of them buying out other one or something? Picked up new air filter today and it had the Fram color orange.
Just wondering, I'm a WIX guy but maybe should change to something else if Fram is making them nowdays?

Is WIX still a premium filter?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
29 REPLIES 29

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another Internet rumor that refuses to die. About five years ago Fram had a small batch of bad filters. Five years ago. If you go over to bobistheoilguy.com you will find out that Fram's Tough Guard and Extra Guard are well built filters. In addition to this-it has also been found there has been a rash of Wix filters with media tear.

Just me... but that is why I have all maintenance items shortened up miles and time wise. Just in case I get a bad product.

Just about every month you hear about some type of failure in something that you have bought for years and then find out they are cutting corners or just poor workmanship. (firestone tires, gm ignition switches, dog food etc). Not to mention drugs. One month they are advertised you need this wonder drug and seems like next month you here "Join our class action suit" if you've ever taken it.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
jake2250 wrote:
Charlie D. wrote:
I have seen Wix filters "Made in China" I now look for country of origin when buying.

WIX are manufactured in Gastonia North Carolina! Have been for 70 years!

Says that on all there literature and on there web site?

OP here...Just dug box out of recycle. Yep, the box says "Affinia" One Wix Way Gastonia NC USA

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
I once had a neighbor that was in the high end auto parts biz: classics, etc. He always warned me about Fram and I always blew him off until he came home one day with a Fram cut in half with a large copper pipe cutter. The interior was littered with filter dust, and a few bigger chunks of filter media, easily enough to clog a seep hole. That was all the convincing I needed and have never run them since. They cut many different ones apart, but what I remember was:
Bottom of the line: Fram Orange
Top of the line: Mobil-1

Here is another Internet rumor that refuses to die. About five years ago Fram had a small batch of bad filters. Five years ago. If you go over to bobistheoilguy.com you will find out that Fram's Tough Guard and Extra Guard are well built filters. In addition to this-it has also been found there has been a rash of Wix filters with media tear.

Go over and browse that website.

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. I did google and I am wrong!! Thank you for pointing that out!! I would surely return it if I read it was from china,, I just changed oil Monday and used a Wix XD, bottom of box showed North Carolina,, I will surely be on the lookout!!
I stand corrected... Thanks again!!

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
jake2250 wrote:
Charlie D. wrote:
I have seen Wix filters "Made in China" I now look for country of origin when buying.

I am telling you what I know having seen it with my own eyes. Try to Goggle it. I use Bing as a search engine.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
Has WIX always been the Fram color? Or have I been living in a cave and maybe didn't here about one of them buying out other one or something? Picked up new air filter today and it had the Fram color orange.
Just wondering, I'm a WIX guy but maybe should change to something else if Fram is making them nowdays?

Is WIX still a premium filter?

Yes, WIX air cleaners use an orange sealing surface always have. The heavy duty air cleaners will have an orange gasket.
They are a "Premium" Filter,, along with "Fleet guard".

I did not read all the way thru your post and now see you were referring to air filters.
I have been a believer in WIX products for over 20+ years, As i said before I noticed our Fire Department shop used WIX filters on all the apparatus and was referred a filter broker and used them until they moved out of town,, Now I buy WIX on Amazon.. Also, NAPA "Gold" filters are produced by WIX.. Not sure if thats true? Look at the box, It will show "Manufactured in Gastonia NC" WIX

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I once had a neighbor that was in the high end auto parts biz: classics, etc. He always warned me about Fram and I always blew him off until he came home one day with a Fram cut in half with a large copper pipe cutter. The interior was littered with filter dust, and a few bigger chunks of filter media, easily enough to clog a seep hole. That was all the convincing I needed and have never run them since. They cut many different ones apart, but what I remember was:
Bottom of the line: Fram Orange
Top of the line: Mobil-1
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
!

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
Are you sure someone did not put as fram filter in a wix box?

Happens all the time when a parts store changes brands to sell.

It is called "re-boxing."
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Are you talking about the box or the rubber filter gasket? I use Mopar, NAPA, and Fleetguard air filters. All have orange rubber.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X 2 some body pulled a fast one.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure someone did not put as fram filter in a wix box?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Wix website information wrote:
Regardless of the language, our message is clear: If it is supplied by Wix, itโ€™s the best you can buy.

I've found their filters to be as good as or better than others. I use their oil filters in my BMW.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton