cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yamaha 2000 problems

Welder99
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, to begin with I purched 2 Yamaha 2000 generators used very little. They came with the wire kits to hook two together . I powered both up at high rpm then turned on my AC . One generator revved up and would not power the AC . I didn't have the generators on power saver mode. They were both at high rpm at the time I turned on the AC. One generator went to yet a higher RPM. I also have a Honda EU 3000 that I hooked up and it had no problem running the AC. I used my volt meter and it showed 124.7 volts at the hook up kit. So I'm confused as to why they wouldn't power the AC . Also I have the soft start capacitor on the AC. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
18 REPLIES 18

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Welder99 wrote:
Hello all, to begin with I purched 2 Yamaha 2000 generators used very little. They came with the wire kits to hook two together . I powered both up at high rpm then turned on my AC . One generator revved up and would not power the AC . I didn't have the generators on power saver mode. They were both at high rpm at the time I turned on the AC. One generator went to yet a higher RPM. I also have a Honda EU 3000 that I hooked up and it had no problem running the AC. I used my volt meter and it showed 124.7 volts at the hook up kit. So I'm confused as to why they wouldn't power the AC . Also I have the soft start capacitor on the AC. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

Sounds like bad gasoline to me.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Welder99
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to do an up date, I got the Micro air unit, did the install... WOW, its doing its job. The Yamaha's in eco mode start the AC with no problem and I can also run the Micro wave at the same time,.Thank to everyone for there input on my problem.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welder99 wrote:
Gordon Three. I started the generators first then connected the parallel cord. I will try tomorrow by hooking the cable first then start the units . Maybe your onto something there. Thanks for the input.
x2. They also should be able to start the ac in eco mode. My twin hondas can, and that's with no capacitor mods.

Your owner's manual should tell you the proper operation of the parallel cables.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Welder99
Explorer
Explorer
Gordon Three. I started the generators first then connected the parallel cord. I will try tomorrow by hooking the cable first then start the units . Maybe your onto something there. Thanks for the input.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Welder99,

The microair requires 3 wires to be connected and any hard start capacitor to be removed. Their installation instructions are NOT good--but they do have a youtube video.

micro air on youtube

For wiring start watching at 18 minutes.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Welder99
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone who responded , bring you up to date. I will try to answer some of the guestions . I checked both generators one at a time where the dual connection hooks up at the generator , one showed 125.4 and the other one showed 124.8. So both are producing at the out put terminals. I then used ohms meter on the dual harness. It showed fine. I then started both generators at high rpm then turned on the AC. One of the two generators went to yet a higher rpm the other one stayed at the regular hi rpm. The AC did nothing. I tried this a few times with the same result. To answer the soft start cap I don't have the one mentioned. I know I can hook up my Honda Eu 3000 and it starts with no problem. I have Yamahas tech number that I plan on calling tomorrow . As to the soft start cap that was mentioned being able to run on one generator did you do the install yourself ? If so how complicated was it to do? Thank you to everyone for there input. This site is so helpful to everyone . I am a certified welder with 37 years in the trade. If I can help anyone in the welding questions please let me know. It's the most I can offer to help pay my way here in helping others. Thanks again.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
My newly installed Microair easy start does reduce the start up surge. In theory, I could run the roof air on just one 2k generator.
Regards, Don

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
did you interconnect the generators and then start, or start and then interconnect?

my twins will only run my AC when they're connected first, and then started, probably so the digital inverters in both generators can synchronize. if I connect them after they're running, I experience the exact issue you describe.

just throwing the simple things out, you have ECO mode off right?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Welder99 wrote:
Also I have the soft start capacitor on the AC. Any input would be helpful.

I doubt you have a soft start cap but rather a hard start cap such as a SUPCO SPP6 or similar. If so, that's part of your problem as a hard start cap will only provide a limited improvement in trying to start the A/C's compressor motor, regardless of the source.

Presuming both of these Yamaha gensets individually produce their rated output (have you checked with a voltmeter to confirm this?) I'd suggest you forget about using two 2K gensets to power your A/C and instead use just one. Possible? - absolutely, if you fit your A/C with a true soft starter such as the Micro-Air Easy Start. There are enough testimonials here on rv.net to prove this device does work, reducing A/C compressor start up draw by as much as 70%, which is far beyond what a hard start cap can do.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure if this is a helpful question, or a proof of a lack of knowledge.

Does the parallel kit for the two Yammies, allow you to switch the connections at the generators? If you can do that, does the problem "follow" one generator, or stay with one "leg" of parallel kit?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 honda 2000s with the twinning cables. They are colour coded. Do you have them plugged into the same ports on each genny? Just an observation.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why are volts being discussed instead of amps? A 99 cent extension cord from Dollar Tree will deliver volts but it won't run my ACs.
Puma 30RKSS

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Measure the voltage coming out of the cable with it connected to only one generator, and then the other. This should verify the cable and both generators' ports are good.