cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1 trailer brake locking up

Adelmundo
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if I just need to adjust the brakes?
Only one of the 4 brakes is locking up. If I have the electric brake controller showing more then 1 bar then that one tire completely locks up. I have tried changing the controls on the controller inside my truck and no luck.
I have read the owners manual for the AL-KO brakes and it seems pretty easy to adjust them.
I really don't want to take it to a shop without some suggestions as what it could be as I am a young woman and don't trust repair people to not try and rip me off ๐Ÿ˜ž
Depending on job, I may be able to do it as I have replaced the kitchen faucet with a new chrome one and also re sealed my roof and stopped a leak under the fridge vent ๐Ÿ™‚
9 REPLIES 9

Adelmundo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the help guys!! I really appreciate it.
My mechanic that works on my truck is gonna look at it tomorrow so hopefully he can fix it!!
Thanks again,

Ashley

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I will vote for grease on the brake linings. Regardless it is time to remove that brake assembly and find out what is wrong. My experience has been cleaning the grease off the lining does not work. It is important that all 4 brakes have the same braking effort. If they do not you risk having a trailer pulling to one side under heavy braking and even possibly causing loss of control. That is why Dexter recommends all 4 brake assemblies have new linings if one needs replaced or if a brake magnet needs replaced that all four magnets are replaced.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
rjsurfer wrote:
You have to take the drum off.

My money is on brake linings grease soaked.

Ron W.

Mine too. Either that or the bearings are super loose.

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Also recommend checking the electrical wiring while inspecting the brakes.

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
You have to take the drum off.

My money is on brake linings grease soaked.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have never done a drum brake adjustment, please ask a male friend who has knowledge to show you how to properly do it the first time. It is not difficult to do, but trying to learn by reading is not the easiest thing. Once you have then properly adjusted then it is time for a test drive. If you still have failure then consider taking it to a shop for repairs. It could be dead magnets, bad wiring or a number of other things. Complete new brake assemblies are around 50 dollars each, so four new brakes plus labor should cost around 350-400 dollars. Heck for that price that should include new seals and wheel pack. If you really don't want help, then start by inspecting the wiring under the trailer for the brakes. Then go to online and find a video about brake adjustments, buy the tools and do it.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Adelmundo wrote:
I am wondering if I just need to adjust the brakes?
Only one of the 4 brakes is locking up. If I have the electric brake controller showing more then 1 bar then that one tire completely locks up. I have tried changing the controls on the controller inside my truck and no luck.
I have read the owners manual for the AL-KO brakes and it seems pretty easy to adjust them.
I really don't want to take it to a shop without some suggestions as what it could be as I am a young woman and don't trust repair people to not try and rip me off ๐Ÿ˜ž
Depending on job, I may be able to do it as I have replaced the kitchen faucet with a new chrome one and also re sealed my roof and stopped a leak under the fridge vent ๐Ÿ™‚

When you have serious brake problems like this, one or more brake drums need to be pulled to properly diagnose the problem. Before you do anything, carefully check all the wiring going to the brakes.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

Adelmundo
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer is a 2009 fleetwood pioneer 24 BH.