cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

$1000 for a 23 mile tow?

211Racing
Explorer
Explorer
Total Newbie here. Just bought a 2002 Tioga 24D. After many DIY tests and replacing Fuel Pump Fuse, Relay and Fuel Filter, I have concluded that my RV isn't starting due to a Fuel Pump gone bad. It sat unattended for over a year. We've had AAA forever. Upgraded to their RV package. They'll cover the first $500 of a tow, but the service that they contract with (or at least the one that could do a tow today) wanted $1000. As in $500 from me too. Is there a trick to getting a decent priced tow? Thanks.
26 REPLIES 26

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
I havenโ€™t ever had to us the RV benefit, but when ever I call AAA they ask where I want it towed. They have referenced where they would suggest having it towed. The last time they would have taken it to my local independent shop less than 5 miles from home. Instead they towed it to my preferred dealership 25 miles away without question.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And I used to use AAA as a personal towing service every time my old snowplow would break down. Itโ€™s only a sucker deal if one doesnโ€™t understand cost/benefit analysis.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
211Racing wrote:
Is there a trick to getting a decent priced tow? Thanks.
Shop around? And don't tell them you have insurance.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had BOTH, my 15 DRW (flatbed) and 16 DRV (semi truck) towed from Seattle North. RV to my home 45 miles and truck to Dealer that F-DUP my AISIN Transmission 60 miles. Total Cost was $1,800. Turned into my Auto Ins and a week later a check was sent minus my $100 deductible. Sure as heck wasn't the closest repair facility or place to park the RV.

I have American Family Ins and am VERY happy with what I get for my money. NEVER have gotten suckered into AAA or the like and simply add towing to all vehicles on Auto policy for very little $$$.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let me see, you bought a broke down vehicle. Then when you decided you needed to tow it, you bought tow insurance? Then you advertised on the net you are defrauding the insurance co?

You might be better off to find a mobile repair to fix it where it sits.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you request a detailed bill from the tow company??
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ever think they knew your policy covered x amount, and they upcharged?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Usually, they only tow to the nearest shop. If you want to go further, it's on you.

Also, is there a difference between road side "it broke down" vs you bought a broken down unit and now want it towed?

Assuming the tow company is using an oversize tow truck for large commercial vehicles, it's not outrageous.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, I have AAA RV and they towed my 5th wheel about 10 miles to the nearest (acceptable) shop. Thought I would have to go about 50 - 70 miles but found a closer location. The truck had to come from about 50 miles away to tow us. No charge, AAA covered the entire amount. This was a couple years ago, but have never had and issue with AAA.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Shop tow outfits via phone. Tell them youโ€™ll accept late at night or early, real early, in the morning. Anytime they arenโ€™t busy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
What size tow truck did they send?
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you ask them to take it somewhere other than the closest repair facility? A lot of times they pay to get it to a closest repair.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT