cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

100K miles - what maintenance?

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 CTD 2500 2WD that is getting ready to turn over 100K miles. I've had the truck since new and have done regular maintenance. Also ball joints, power steering pump, water pump, front brakes and brake assembly hoses, and electric fan clutch have been replaced.

This truck is used primarily to pull my 5th wheel trailer, and is running great. However, since I'm getting ready to take an extended trip this summer I'm thinking it might be time to replace a few items, i.e. belts, hoses, etc.

Any recommendations on necessary maintenance or parts?

Thanks.
51 REPLIES 51

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
It is a want not always a need. I traded a great truck will a want only not a need. Lots of so called million mile trucks are traded for the want reason. Ok I think
Chevman
Oh absolutely, I just think that telling a person they're not saving any money, to speak of, by driving an older paid-for truck vs buying a brand new truck is specious.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
"There is the sales tax, the higher cost of insurance and the cost of borrowing (or lost opportunity cost if you pay cash) on the additional out lay of money that must be taken in to account but owning a newer truck isn't a tremendous amount more expensive than owning an older one."

You can honestly write that with a straight face?

I'm comparing one scenario where a person buys a new truck and keeps it for 12 years before selling it and buying a new truck again vs the guy who buys a new truck and replaces it every 4 years. Option one vs option two .... the costs are not going to be tremendously different. The guy who can buy a 20 year old truck and keep it going can probably save a little money.
"A little money"? I paid $18,000 for the truck, and I've spent maybe $3000 over the years for things that wouldn't necessarily have to be done with a new truck. That amounts to $21,000 vs $50,000 or more for a new truck. To me that's more than just "a little money". Over $30,000 plus sales tax, plus higher insurance, plus higher personal property taxes. So you could be looking at maybe $40,000 saved over 20 years, around $2000/year in my pocket instead of someone else's. I'll take that anytime.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'll agree that you can save $40k over 20 years by purchasing and running used trucks vs buying new every few years.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
It is a want not always a need. I traded a great truck will a want only not a need. Lots of so called million mile trucks are traded for the want reason. Ok I think
Chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
"There is the sales tax, the higher cost of insurance and the cost of borrowing (or lost opportunity cost if you pay cash) on the additional out lay of money that must be taken in to account but owning a newer truck isn't a tremendous amount more expensive than owning an older one."

I'm comparing one scenario where a person buys a new truck and keeps it for 12 years before selling it and buying a new truck again vs the guy who buys a new truck and replaces it every 4 years. Option one vs option two .... the costs are not going to be tremendously different. The guy who can buy a 20 year old truck and keep it going can probably save a little money.
"A little money"? I paid $18,000 for the truck, and I've spent maybe $3000 over the years for things that wouldn't necessarily have to be done with a new truck. That amounts to $21,000 vs $50,000 or more for a new truck. To me that's more than just "a little money". Over $30,000 plus sales tax, plus higher insurance, plus higher personal property taxes. So you could be looking at maybe $40,000 saved over 20 years, around $2000/year in my pocket instead of someone else's. I'll take that anytime.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Paid 53k out the door for my 11 HO DRW LongHorn. They gave me 40k 3.5 years later with 65k on the clock. Saved sales tax on top of that trade number.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:

B&W Companion

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
Camreal wrote:
To the OP, I have an 05 with 199700 on it. Most items listed have been checked or replaced including alternator that was still working. On a short weekend trip 5 months ago I had what I thought was smoke coming from under the hood. Turned out to be high pressure diesel spraying out from #4 injector fuel supply line. Drove it another 100 miles home. This seems to be a common problem on 05 common rail series. Most auto supplies stock that line . I now carry a spare. Check your injector line fittings with a wrench. They are easy to get to. Sorry for the long post.

Hmm, I have an 2005 with 207k miles. I'd better check that line too.
thanks for the heads up.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Serp belt, yes, but only get an OE or a Continental belt. Idler and tensioner pullies, maybe, hoses maybe, all fluids up to date.

Most importantly, if you are still only running factory fuel filtration, the clock is ticking on your injector life and it's between 9 and 10 pm if they are going to fail at midnight.
Add 2 micron filter. Most important thing you can do.
Except the #4 injector line. If it's original still you're gambling on that. Replace it now or at least have a spare and the right size line wrench with you. And check all the injector hold down bolts as well.

The rest is subjective preventative maint, of which you've been pretty thorough already it appears.

The last thing I can think of is u-joints and carrier bearing. 50/50 shot at 100k and 15 years old, IMO. BUT, they don't fail suddenly. If one start's going, you can still drive for hours or days, depending.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Durb wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
^^^^ I see. I was mistakenly thinking he bought his truck new 7 years ago and it never depreciated in the first 7 years. He bought an eight year old truck 7 years ago. So his idea is that a truck depreciates for the first 8 years then stops depreciating for the next 7. I wonder when it will carry on depreciating again? I'm thinking I'd rather watch my new truck depreciate than my 15 year old one do the same.

According to KBB, my 16 year old truck has depreciated approximately $1,000 since I bought it used 7 years ago. If I were to replace it, which I could, the 8.6% sales tax on a $50,000 truck alone would be $4,300. The fact is, like me, the OP has a unique vehicle, a pre-emission Cummins with low miles. I live in the Northwest so rust is not an issue. Our trucks reliably do the job and I suggest our depreciation rates going forward will outshine those of a new truck.

I'm in the same situation; low mileage, pre-smog truck in great shape and reliable as a truck can be. Not worth trading for a little more bling and a lot more expense.
At least, not yet.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If changing the brake pads I can't emphasize how AWESOME the EBC Orange HD pads are. EXPENSIVE but nothing compares.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^ Good luck with that. My father actually has an 04 Ram diesel that he has owned since new and only used for towing his 5th wheel. I try to convince him to throw it out and get a new Ford but can't seem to talk any sense into him either.:) His is in very nice shape with about 100k miles as well. He spent quite a bit of money on it trying to get a shimmy out of it. They changed some front end components and u-joints and I think it's better.
B&W Companion

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
^^^^ I see. I was mistakenly thinking he bought his truck new 7 years ago and it never depreciated in the first 7 years. He bought an eight year old truck 7 years ago. So his idea is that a truck depreciates for the first 8 years then stops depreciating for the next 7. I wonder when it will carry on depreciating again? I'm thinking I'd rather watch my new truck depreciate than my 15 year old one do the same.

According to KBB, my 16 year old truck has depreciated approximately $1,000 since I bought it used 7 years ago. If I were to replace it, which I could, the 8.6% sales tax on a $50,000 truck alone would be $4,300. The fact is, like me, the OP has a unique vehicle, a pre-emission Cummins with low miles. I live in the Northwest so rust is not an issue. Our trucks reliably do the job and I suggest our depreciation rates going forward will outshine those of a new truck.

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, I have an 05 with 199700 on it. Most items listed have been checked or replaced including alternator that was still working. On a short weekend trip 5 months ago I had what I thought was smoke coming from under the hood. Turned out to be high pressure diesel spraying out from #4 injector fuel supply line. Drove it another 100 miles home. This seems to be a common problem on 05 common rail series. Most auto supplies stock that line . I now carry a spare. Check your injector line fittings with a wrench. They are easy to get to. Sorry for the long post.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you're right in that driving a much older vehicle is cheaper than trading every few years. In Canada my experience has been that a full load diesel 1 ton ($73,000) depreciates about $4k per year for the first 5 years based on 20k miles per year. If after 20 years and 400,000 miles the vehicle is worthless it would depreciate an average of $3650 per year. So keeping my truck new has meant zero dollars on repairs and a few hundred per year above average for depreciation. There is the sales tax, the higher cost of insurance and the cost of borrowing (or lost opportunity cost if you pay cash) on the additional out lay of money that must be taken in to account but owning a newer truck isn't a tremendous amount more expensive than owning an older one.
B&W Companion