cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1141 LED bulbs don't work????

TNCampingDad
Explorer
Explorer
I have tried replacing my standard 1141 bulb in my porch light with a 1141 LED replacement bulb but it will not work once I install the LED bulb. I have tried several different bulbs from different sources but none seem to work. I know the bulbs work because they work in my front cap light, that is the exact same fixture but instead of a orange lens it has a clear lens. Does anyone have any suggestions or have you had this problem too?
17 REPLIES 17

westend
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
hddecker wrote:

There must be something wrong with the LEDs that I bought, because it doesn't matter which way I plug them in they work.

Higher quality LED lamps aren't polarity sensitive, which is a good thing in the even a light fixture happens to have it's hot and ground wires reversed.

All the LEDs I am using from www.ledtrailerlights.com are the same as yours in the way they function, they work regardless of polarity.
I would disagreee that there is a marked quality difference between the high-dollar regulated assemblies and the cheaper non-regulated LED's. At least in the quality of the illumination., most are using very similar diodes.

It's very easy to change the phase of the supply, just reverse the leads from the LED to the fixture. I used the supplied adaptor's molex connectors so it is a matter of slipping apart the connectors and reconnecting with opposite orientation.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
hddecker wrote:

There must be something wrong with the LEDs that I bought, because it doesn't matter which way I plug them in they work.

Higher quality LED lamps aren't polarity sensitive, which is a good thing in the even a light fixture happens to have it's hot and ground wires reversed.

All the LEDs I am using from www.ledtrailerlights.com are the same as yours in the way they function, they work regardless of polarity.
Bob

westend
Explorer
Explorer
hddecker wrote:
dbbls wrote:
You might need to change the wires on the back of the light. The electricity has to flow in a certain direction on LED bulbs. Pull the light fixture out and switch the wires around.

There must be something wrong with the LEDs that I bought, because it doesn't matter whick way I plug them in they work.

I just bought two new lights for the stairs yesterday and hooked them up to my jumper battery pack both ways and they either way.

Go figure.
Some LED assembly's can sort out the polarity difference so that they may be inserted either way. The OP's are probably not like this and need the phase oriented (+), (-). The porch light got me too. Mine was wired reverse phase.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
dbbls wrote:
You might need to change the wires on the back of the light. The electricity has to flow in a certain direction on LED bulbs. Pull the light fixture out and switch the wires around.

There must be something wrong with the LEDs that I bought, because it doesn't matter whick way I plug them in they work.

I just bought two new lights for the stairs yesterday and hooked them up to my jumper battery pack both ways and they either way.

Go figure.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
if all of the lighting is on one circuit, you could switch the wires at the box instead of each fixture.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
As someone said the bulb you bought may be wired wrong. The base that it screws/pushes into should have a red wire ( or equivalent) going to the center conductor and black going to the outer casing. You can switch these wires on the socket to make the bulb work. Generally the most protected contact is where the 12 volts should attach (center pin). In a normal home with AC 120volts this is important to prevent shocks but in a lower voltage 12v bulb, you wont get shocked. It is also done to protect from shorts. Less chance of center contact touching metal ground. If you ever touched a metal lamp at home and got shocked, it may be due to incorrect wiring or your plug is in backwards. That's why there is a fat spade and thin one to ensure you plug in correctly.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:

Yes, flit them..many of us use "wedge base" lights...

Is that an 1141 bulb?

HTH;
John

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Admin wrote:
Agree with all
Switch the wires - LED's are polarity sensitive
Someone wired the lights wrong but with filament bulbs it doesn't make any difference
Just went through the same thing.

Admin

Yep me too on the porch light.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
The light itself is wired backwards.
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
full_mosey wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Try flipping them over and plugging them into to socket again.

Flip?

HTH;
John

Yes, flit them..many of us use "wedge base" lights...

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
Admin wrote:

Hey, that's not a LED :E
old school :B

Yes, I knew that. 🙂 My comment was on how do you flip the base? The LED will have the same base. I guess I misunderstood the question.

HTH;
John

Admin
full_mosey wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Try flipping them over and plugging them into to socket again.

Flip?

HTH;
John

Hey, that's not a LED :E
old school :B
Admin
RV.net

Admin
Agree with all
Switch the wires - LED's are polarity sensitive
Someone wired the lights wrong but with filament bulbs it doesn't make any difference
Just went through the same thing.

Admin
Admin
RV.net