cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12V Question

saintsfanfl
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a used 2005 Starcraft Homestead 24RKS. I am not getting any 12V power from the battery except for a utility light in the storage compartment. The manual says there is a breaker right behind the front wall and also an inline fuse. I took some stuff off underneath and there is no breaker or inline fuse. Just a junction plate and a bunch of wire nuts. I have not plugged it in yet but I am going to wire an RV outlet this evening to see if I get 12V from the inverter but I really want to know why the breaker isn't there when the manual says it is. It really doesn't look like it was removed.

I haven't checked the power at the power converter yet but I will do that soon.

Thanks for any advise.
14 REPLIES 14

mrgreetis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update and glad YOU got it right.

saintsfanfl
Explorer
Explorer
mrgreetis wrote:
Just something to think of - I also blew the 2 30 amp fuses due to connecting the battery up backwards. Those 2 are there just for that purpose. If you blew the fuses when you hooked up the battery and you have not reconnected the battery since (correctly) you will just blow any new fuses you put in. Good luck.

When I replaced the battery I hooked it up correctly. I think the former owner blew the fuses when they were trying to disconnect it.

mrgreetis
Explorer
Explorer
Just something to think of - I also blew the 2 30 amp fuses due to connecting the battery up backwards. Those 2 are there just for that purpose. If you blew the fuses when you hooked up the battery and you have not reconnected the battery since (correctly) you will just blow any new fuses you put in. Good luck.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You have an open circuit.
A test light or volt meter will tell you where the voltage stops.
Keep poking around until you find some place where you have 12v on one side and zero on the other.
Repair, replace, clean, tighten or adjust that item.

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Advise: verb
Advice: noun

12v from the inverter?

why are you always a wise guy its getting old

saintsfanfl
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the help. I am an idiot though. It turns out it was just the 30amp fuses at the panel. They were blown. I obviously should have checked those first but I do not regret the trouble shooting because I learned where the circuit breakers and wires are. Not sure why they made it extremely difficult to get to them.

Now it is on to the next item...

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
The breaker (pictured above) may be an auto reset or it may have a manual reset button. Sometimes, the auto reset type will reset itself when you disconnect and re-connect the battery. The manual reset needs to have the button pushed. If the breaker won't reset, replace it.

You can test them by checking (with a test light or meter) for voltage from the posts to ground, if you have voltage on one post (the one nearest the battery) and no voltage on the other, the breaker is tripped. They are available at most auto parts stores.

Note !!!

Those breakers come in various amp ratings (as do fuses). If you need a replacement, do it with one rated for same amperage as the old one.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

saintsfanfl
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
This is what a DC circuit breaker looks like that is commonly used on trailer battery positive cable going from battery to converter.

Ahhh that is what I have. I think there are actually two of them. I did not realize they were circuit breakers but I am a neophyte. Is the second one maybe the charge being sent from the 110v?

schlep1967 wrote:
Being this is a used trailer .... Black wire should be hooked to the positive post and white to negative on the battery. If not you will have some fuses to find when you get it hooked up right.

I have a red and white wire with the red on the positive. I bought a brand new 12v battery before I towed the trailer home.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Being this is a used trailer .... Black wire should be hooked to the positive post and white to negative on the battery. If not you will have some fuses to find when you get it hooked up right.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is what a DC circuit breaker looks like that is commonly used on trailer battery positive cable going from battery to converter.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

saintsfanfl
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
Om my '05 Starcraft hybrid there was a junction box inside the pass-through. Never had a reason to open it though.

I don't even have a junction box. The junction is just sitting there with no box and no cover. You can't get to it though unless you take off the cover underneath. I haven't seen any other way to get to it. The manual says it is behind the "front wall under a plastic cover". It is supposed to have a self resetting breaker according to the manual.

saintsfanfl
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

12v from the inverter?

No power to anything except to the one utility light while connected to 12V battery only. I will check the 12V once I get it plugged in.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Om my '05 Starcraft hybrid there was a junction box inside the pass-through. Never had a reason to open it though.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II

12v from the inverter?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman