cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

'13- 2500HD Tire Shopping

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning on new tires within then next month or so, and have it narrowed down to a few possibilities. Truck is stock, no leveling kit, and t-bars are still at factory adjustment. I don't plan on going with a (much) larger than stock tire as we have a fairly heavy tt (~9200lbs loaded), so don't want to change the ratio to much.

We also travel to Northern Michigan and Northern Ontario (Soo area) to go snowmobiling. The cabin in Ont is in the bush, about an hour to get to once through Soo customs....

Stock 265/60/20 is a pain to find an AT tire in. Found a few, but wish there was more available choices!!!

The leading contenders are:

Cooper A/T3: Had a set for on our '10-1500 and loved them!!! Great tire in all conditions, dry, rain, snow, ice, etc.. Mud was the only condition I never had them in (not counting dirt roads). Stock size, about $200 more than the ATP.

Cooper ATP: Have heard and read awesome things about this tire, but slightly concerned the little larger lug vs the A/T3 will cause it to not be as good of a tire in the wet, sloppy snow. Had a set of the Cooper ST's and wasn't that impressed in that type of snow. They would actually push at intersections when trying to turn. The A/T3's never did that. But I know there is a big difference in the tread pattern and tread size vs the ST model. Stock Size, about $200 cheaper vs the A/T3.

Slightly behind the two Coopers:

Pro Comp AT Sport: Very new tire, little reviews available and the few there are, haven't found any for snow conditions. 275/60/20, ever so slightly larger.... Any idea who make the PC tires? I have heard/ read possibly Cooper, but can't find a definitive answer. About the same price as the A/T3 if I remember correctly.

All three of these have a 55k or 60k mi tread warranty, which is a selling feature.

I would consider the BFG AT and the Toyo Open Country AT II if they were available in the right size. Have also considered the DuraTrac, but it may be a little more aggressive than I want/need. Other downside is the lack of a tread warranty. Have considered the Wrangler Adventure, but maybe this is also the lack of looking at the DuraTrac closer, I am not a big fan of GY tires.....

I have also considered going to an 18" rim for more tire choices, but after the cost of new rims (even oem take offs...) not sure this is really worth it. If I bought 18" rims, the Open Country AT II would be right there in he mix with the Coopers, and the BFG slightly behind due to no tread life warranty.

So if anyone has any insight on comparing these tires, all help is appreciated!!!

TY!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.
24 REPLIES 24

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the Cooper RTX on my F350. I have had them for a little over a year now and no complaints. In fact I like them so well I put a set on the wife's Expedition. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the Cooper tires. Good luck, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
TY for the info about your BIL fitting the 275/65/20's! Just not sure I want to mod the truck like that, but is a possibility.

Marty,

Good point on going by the weight ratings. I have actually looks at the weight ratings, but have yet to find a tire I am considering that "covers" the axle rating if it is a D rated tire. They seem to max the D rating at about 3000lbs, and the rar is 6200lbs (from memory). So short by 200lbs.

TY for the possibility though!!!

blt2ski
DO NOT worry about the E-10ply or D-8ply rating. LOOK AT how much the actual tire can carry. A 265-75-16 in an 8 ply, has a 3000 lbs load rating. All of 40 lbs less than a 245-75 or 235-85-16 tire in a 10 ply. BUT, from experience, when all three tires are loaded to 3000 lbs per tire, I'll take the 265's over the 245 or 235 tires! My experience with tires thank you very much!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Nick_R
Explorer
Explorer
My brother in law has a 2013 he did put the 2756520's on stock wheels. He did have to do the nor cal fender mod for them to fit. The 2015 and up have more room cause the 275's fit no problem

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Nick R wrote:
check out 2756520's 34.1 tall or 2955520's 33 tall that will give you more options,. 2855520's are similar size to the 2656020's. the only thing with the 285's is most only take 55lbs of air. I have run BFG ko2's on my last 2 trucks i like them. I don't tow heavy so they last good. michelin makes the defender in a 2656020 and goodyear makes the adventurer in that size too.

Nick,

TY!

I have considered the 285 or 295/55/20's, but they are considerably heavier from what I have found so far vs the stock 265/60/20. These two sizes are still a slim consideration though. If the 285's are an E rated tire (which is what I need for our 2500HD) they have a max of 80psi, just like the stock 265's.

Regarding the 275/65/20, I haven't found any info that states they will fit, without cranking the t-bars a fair amount. And even then I think (been a while since I researched that size) they still rub some. Even the 285 or 295/55's need a little cranking if I recall correctly.

Nick_R
Explorer
Explorer
check out 2756520's 34.1 tall or 2955520's 33 tall that will give you more options,. 2855520's are similar size to the 2656020's. the only thing with the 285's is most only take 55lbs of air. I have run BFG ko2's on my last 2 trucks i like them. I don't tow heavy so they last good. michelin makes the defender in a 2656020 and goodyear makes the adventurer in that size too.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Ksss,

TY for the suggestions!!!

We were in the UP (Upper Peninsula of Mi) headed to Canada to go snowmobiling when I had the A/T3's on our 1500 towing a 10' clamshell trailer. We got to a point that every so often, it felt like the wind would gust every so slightly. Turned out to be ice we were on!!! Buddy driving a 'Burb towing a 27' inline trailer went from one lane to the other, then back to the first.... And it wasn't a situation that we were flying down the road, either. The A/T3's kept us in place and did a great job.

Good to hear the BFG AT's are doing good on ice, and wearing well. The ST Maxx are pretty sweet looking, but just a little more aggressive than I am looking for. It sure how they would be towing our 32 either. Will give a look at the Nitto's.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I am have been happy with my NITTO EXO Grappler. I also have a pickup with COOPER ST MAXX. I like them as well. I have a set of BFG AT KO on another. The new BFG lasts longer than then the previous version, really like this tire when they are newer on ice. May be the best AT tire I have had on ice and snow pack. I am going to buy another set of the EXO's. Just a really good balance in what it does and the price is good, especially for NITTO.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
TY to all for the suggestions and feedback!!!

Looked at the Yokohama, the Geolandar A/T definitely looks intriguing. The Nokian isn't available in the 265/60 or 275/60/20, so no go there.

I have considered the Michelins, but do like a slightly more aggressive looking tire. ๐Ÿ™‚

AlmostAnOldGuy wrote:
Need-A-Vacation wrote:
Cooper A/T3: Had a set for on our '10-1500 and loved them!!! Great tire in all conditions, dry, rain, snow, ice, etc.. Mud was the only condition I never had them in (not counting dirt roads). Stock size, about $200 more than the ATP.

I am curious if you find something you think will be better than the A/T3s. I will be swapping my tires out next year and my default is Michelin LTX MS/2 which have provided good service and wear for me in the past. Even with a much less aggressive looking tread they have served me well in snow too. Note I spend more time running in the rain than you do (Oregon) and do not deal with more than a couple of inches of snow. After your comment and reading the reviews on this Cooper I will consider it as well. Cooper A/T3 at TreadDepot with reviews at bottom

Good luck,
Stu

Just know there have been a few reports of the Coopers not wanting to balance (if I remember correctly), causing a slight vibration issue. It sounds like it is/was more so the P rated tires. I did not have any issues with the LT C's on our 1500 though....

Give the Toyo Open Country II's a consideration as well. My buddy had been pretty happy with his on his '13 Ram 2500. I would have to go to an 18" (have considered it, but doesn't seem reasonable pricewise to do so) to go with the OC II's as they don't have a 20" that will fit my Chevy without a leveling kit or lift without going to a considerably wider model (295/55/20 or so). If Toyo had a 265 or 275/60/20, they would be on the short list. Darn GM trucks with their abnormal wheel opening!!! Lol

Good luck to you too!!!

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
Cooper MasterCraft AXT. For the money they are simply unbeatable. Next would be the Cooper AT3. Have these on the wife's 4x4 Tahoe and they are wonderful too.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

Sinterior
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus, an all weather tire, not all season, that have the mountain and snowflake emblem on the sidewall, and can be used year round.
I have them on my truck, and are very good in winter, but not quite as good as a dedicated winter/snow tire, but still much better than all season or M/S rated tires, and do very well towing a heavy 5th wheel in summer temperatures. They have a fairly aggressive tread but are very quiet on the road.
Pete, Terry (Teresa) & Cira, 12lb furbag ๐Ÿ™‚

2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40SKQ
2017 Chev Equinox V6 AWD
Blue Ox Avail
Patriot II Braking system
Garmin dezl 560LMT

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Need-A-Vacation wrote:

I am curious if you find something you think will be better than the A/T3s. I will be swapping my tires out next year and my default is Michelin LTX MS/2 which have provided good service and wear for me in the past. Even with a much less aggressive looking tread they have served me well in snow too. Note I spend more time running in the rain than you do (Oregon) and do not deal with more than a couple of inches of snow. After your comment and reading the reviews on this Cooper I will consider it as well.

Cooper A/T3 at TreadDepot with reviews at bottom

Good luck,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
I got Pep Boys tires on mine, IIRC they are made by Cooper.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Michelin LTX MS/2 here, great traction wearing well. I have gone the last two wet winters here in the PNW without adding weight to the bed and near zero spin issues, sometimes on a paint line.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"