cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

13.5KBTU Is not cutting it

jholovacs
Explorer
Explorer
I have a large RV (Outback 298RE) and I love it. I think it's well-designed, except for a few things... like A/C.

Mine came with a 13.5KBTU A/C ducted unit. This is completely unable to knock more than 10 degrees off outdoor temp, 15 if not in direct sunlight. On an 85 degree day, that's fine, but when camping south of the Mason-Dixon in summer, it's not unusual to see 100+.

The camper is wired for 30A, and barring ripping the whole thing apart and wiring for 50A with two A/C units (which seems ridiculous) I seem to be stuck with going with a 15KBTU, which does not seem especially better to me.

How do people handle this this sort of thing? I like to play in the sun, but I definitely like to sneak inside and soak up some A/C, and sleep in 85+ temps is torture.

Are there higher-BTU A/C's available that won't blow a circuit? Some special insulation tips that make a noticeable difference without being noticeable? Improvements in the ducting/ air circulation that seem to work? Anything?
2011 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew/ EcoBoost/ 4.10 diff
2016 Open Range 319RLS
2012 Keystone Outback 298RE (traded in)
19 REPLIES 19

jholovacs
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm... I would need to find space for that, but it might be ideal... I'd probably want to run another circuit for it ( maybe pull off the separate 15A available in most RV sites)...

hmm...
2011 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew/ EcoBoost/ 4.10 diff
2016 Open Range 319RLS
2012 Keystone Outback 298RE (traded in)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out this tread on another forum here.

ADDING 3RD Air Conditioner

This might exactly what you need to do. These type of portable air conditioner are very affordable...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I remember, and I'm not 100% sure. But I believe a 15 to 20 degree drop from outside temp is about all your gonna get.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I have a window AC that I put in the back bedroom. Adding that to the forward AC unit enables me to keep the RV at a comfortable temp. even when it gets well above 100. You also have to use your awnings. I bought the window AC off Craigslist for about $60. For that price, re-wiring just wasn't worth it.

Miles
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
Most in your situation will use one of those portable AC units that vents through a hose either by way of an adapter that gets pinched in the sliding window or a permanently mounted vent pipe cut into a wall. One will need to run a separate heavy guage to the pedestal for this unit.