cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

17-20 foot trailers. Good choices and stay aways!

Camsmom
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have a kz spree escape 14 ft that we really like but my DH is just a little too claustrophobic in it at the end of our longer trips. So we are looking for a little larger. We would like a separate bed and sitting or dining area. Slightly larger holding tanks and fridge while still staying around the 3000 lb dry weight. What should we stay away from. We like the Visa's but are hearing some pretty mixed reviews. Any suggestions. Who has something in this range that they love (or hate)?
Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

Camsmom
Explorer
Explorer
2edgesword wrote:
If you can find one in your area take a look at the KZ Spree Escape e204s. It's 3500 dry with a queen bed, sofa bed, one slide out and fairly roomy for a 23' tt.

Just went to their site again and they really do have a great selection of possible floor plans. Probably 4 or 5 I could look at.
Thanks again for the reminder.

Camsmom
Explorer
Explorer
2edgesword wrote:
If you can find one in your area take a look at the KZ Spree Escape e204s. It's 3500 dry with a queen bed, sofa bed, one slide out and fairly roomy for a 23' tt.

Thanks. Going to the dealer tomorrow that has the KZ line. We currently have a KZ spree escape 14 and are pretty happy. A couple little glitches that we were able to fix easily on our own but overall we are very happy within. Just a little small for our longer trips. We have probably pulled our little one in two years about 8000 miles and she's been great.

Michael_in_MN
Explorer
Explorer
Livinlite has Camplite models that might work. They are well built light weight trailers.

The Camplite model numbers correspond to the length of the box without the hitch, so a Camplite with '16' in the model is likely the same length as some other mfg's '19' models.
-----------------------------
LivinLite Camplite 16BHB
2015 Silverado 1500

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer

Camsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input, I am finding the opposite problem though, almost too many choices. Looked at Visa today - think they are before the fix was in though, they seemed crazy low to the ground.
Looked at Ascend by Evergreen, anyone have any insight into these trailers.
Saw a Surveyor cadet that looked good and the dealer has a fun finder 189 coming in, I really want to see this one. I have had this model in the back of my mind for a while, just seems really spacious! There are not a lot of them available in my area - Eastern Ontario - though so I fear one might have to overpay to get one. Also went to the Jayco dealer and saw a used feather ultra light, would like to see a new one though.
Specific questions - 1. does anyone know when the frame issue on the Visas was corrected? How do I know if the model I am looking at is a newer generation?
2. Anyone have an Ascend or have done any research - good or bad?
3. Also what is the general rule, expect to pay around 70% of list?

Thanks, Lynda

Canyon-Cruiser
Explorer
Explorer
Camsmom wrote:
We like the Visa's but are hearing some pretty mixed reviews.

We purchased a new 2014 Vista Cruiser (formally Visa) 19 RBS. Dry Weight 2900#. I did some very extensive research prior to purchasing and read the reviews. They had issues with the axles being underrated causing them to splay and wear tires out. This has been addressed and corrected with the newer models. The roof is on solid piece from hitch to bumper so the only seams are along the sides. It is very roomy inside and we opted for the shower walls which I highly recommend. The bathroom in ours is larger than my sisters FW.

What other problems have you heard of? We really love ours.

WoodGlue wrote:
Any trailer that's around 14ft is going to weigh right around 3,000lb. You're not going to find anything much larger without going into the mid 3,500 lb range.

Not true. In my research I found many in this range to not even include the Hybrids. I just takes looking at more than what the industry calls "Lite Weight" and "Ultra Lite". These terms are very subjective I found out.

PM me if you want any specifics on the Vista Cruiser's.
2014 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser 19RBS/2010 GMC Canyon Crew Cab/E2 WDH/Primus IQ controller

Canyon-Cruiser
Explorer
Explorer
edited (See next post)
2014 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser 19RBS/2010 GMC Canyon Crew Cab/E2 WDH/Primus IQ controller

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Funfinder and Shadow Cruiser lines.
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

Camsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the advice so far. Our TV is a 2012 GMC canyon with a 5500 lb tow limit so we are not too bad. We plan to use the trailer for longer trips, doing the Florida keys in the fall from Ontario so really want to feel comfortable with the combination.
My only concern with the hybrid is that we have a dog who is a little susceptible to outside noise. There seem to be quite a few manufacturers out there, looking at the visa, or another slightly bigger KZ spree or sportsman classics or possibly micro light.
I know everyone has their preferences, usually the brand they own, but are there any strong "stay aways".
Thanks

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
If you are game maybe a hybrid travel trailer.. My buddy just pcked up a starcraft 21sso 2006 i believe... very nice unit.. it has a slide and two fold out queen beds.

Space when you need/want it, weight of full time added space..... no so much
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun

cpaharley2008
Explorer
Explorer
Any fiberglass trailer, Casita,Scamp,Escape would work and be leak free for years.
2009 Dodge Ram Hemi 4x4 11,300miles- lifetime warranty
2012 Toyota FJ-500 miles
2014 Escape 21' All Season trailer

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Lance is a really good brand.

I would also consider some brands that have the newly developed outside kitchens.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Since light weight seems to be a priority with your tow vehicle, you may be well advised to take a look at hybrid trailers with tent ends. With them you get more living space and lighter weight than with a completely hard sided trailer. Another possibility for a very well made trailer is the Trail Manor which is a form of pop up but will all hard sides. They have a great reputation and are very light weight and easy to tow. Set up is done in a matter of seconds.
Check them out HERE
They have a 24 foot (26 foot when opened) trailer with a dry weight under 3,000 lb. Remember though, the stuff you put inside the trailer will obviously add to that weight.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Camsmom wrote:
We currently have a kz spree escape 14 ft that we really like but my DH is just a little too claustrophobic in it at the end of our longer trips. So we are looking for a little larger. We would like a separate bed and sitting or dining area. Slightly larger holding tanks and fridge while still staying around the 3000 lb dry weight. What should we stay away from. We like the Visa's but are hearing some pretty mixed reviews. Any suggestions. Who has something in this range that they love (or hate)?
Thanks.

Any trailer that's around 14ft is going to weigh right around 3,000lb. You're not going to find anything much larger without going into the mid 3,500 lb range. For instance;

Coachmen Apex

What's your tow vehicle?

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer