cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1972 Amerigo Camper Rebuild

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
After posting a few comments on another thread, I decided to start this one under a topic more easily recognized. I also have started a blog at: http://www.tcreviver.com. Okay, MKish, here it is. I'll post to it whenever I get a chance. -Carey
'03 Ford F-350 7.3 LB SRW. Ride Rites.
Old rig '99 Lance 1130
New rig 2017 Jayflight 31QBDS
2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
394 REPLIES 394

Sweet_Tater
Explorer
Explorer
HudsonValleyRog wrote:
Bought er'! ๐Ÿ™‚

Gonna' be picking it up within the next few days. Looked it over pretty well, and i was not disappointed at all. Of course i can not be "SURE" that there is no hidden water damage, but I'll be damned if I could find any signs of *significant* damage anywhere. The first place I looked in with my flashlight was where the hookups come in (to the right of the stove when facing it inside). Looked great!

I've already got the wheels turning in my head and plan to completely remodel this baby and "modernize" it. My biggest priority/challenge will be to make the shower area larger. I will be sure to make my own thread when I start the project!

Congrats, you'll enjoy the rebuild and then using it Im sure. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll do my best to answer it or make something up lol. Looking forward to seeing your rebuild threat too.

HudsonValleyRog
Explorer
Explorer
Bought er'! ๐Ÿ™‚

Gonna' be picking it up within the next few days. Looked it over pretty well, and i was not disappointed at all. Of course i can not be "SURE" that there is no hidden water damage, but I'll be damned if I could find any signs of *significant* damage anywhere. The first place I looked in with my flashlight was where the hookups come in (to the right of the stove when facing it inside). Looked great!

I've already got the wheels turning in my head and plan to completely remodel this baby and "modernize" it. My biggest priority/challenge will be to make the shower area larger. I will be sure to make my own thread when I start the project!

Sweet_Tater
Explorer
Explorer
HudsonValleyRog wrote:
I'm going to look at a 72' Amerigo (side door with Snap n Nap) tomorrow! I have been reading up on these babies for a while now. I have no idea if there is any water damage yet...and probably won't unless i ripped it apart, correct? From what I've seen online with the restos, I EXPECT it to have water damage to a certain degree...but I ain't skeert'. ?

I am a home improvement contractor by trade, and am eager to do a project like this this winter. Fortunately, I have a very large heated shop with ample room and knowing me, will really tear this thing apart and go nuts with it.

I guess i am already posting as if I've bought it...lol. Won't know until tomorrow. His price is $700. Stay tuned! This n00b is looking forward to learning and (hopefully) giving as well on this great website!

Be Skeered, be very skeered lol,

Sweet_Tater
Explorer
Explorer
2cknights wrote:
Thanks, Tater. I'll keep looking and shaking it. Maybe something will come loose. It looks like they built the camper around the stall. A light went off when you said that you cut yours in half. I might look at that angle. It already has a seam. Maybe cutting that seam and seperating the two peices might be the best option. It shouldn't be hard to patch back together. Last resort anyway. I'll have to remove the Snap N Nap to get the stall out whole, but it has to come out for reframing anyway. Thanks for your help. BTW-Look on the Truck Camper magazine site at David's '76 Amerigo rebuild if you haven't already. It's Awsome! There is also one partially rebuilt on the Pirate 4x4 site. -Carey

yeah, I have emailed him a few times, he's the one that made the cad drawing I shared with you. Very nice guy

lenix
Explorer
Explorer
I absolutely love My 72' Snap n Nap. Very roomy and built very solid. Good luck on your adventure!

HudsonValleyRog
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to look at a 72' Amerigo (side door with Snap n Nap) tomorrow! I have been reading up on these babies for a while now. I have no idea if there is any water damage yet...and probably won't unless i ripped it apart, correct? From what I've seen online with the restos, I EXPECT it to have water damage to a certain degree...but I ain't skeert'. ?

I am a home improvement contractor by trade, and am eager to do a project like this this winter. Fortunately, I have a very large heated shop with ample room and knowing me, will really tear this thing apart and go nuts with it.

I guess i am already posting as if I've bought it...lol. Won't know until tomorrow. His price is $700. Stay tuned! This n00b is looking forward to learning and (hopefully) giving as well on this great website!

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Tater. I'll keep looking and shaking it. Maybe something will come loose. It looks like they built the camper around the stall. A light went off when you said that you cut yours in half. I might look at that angle. It already has a seam. Maybe cutting that seam and seperating the two peices might be the best option. It shouldn't be hard to patch back together. Last resort anyway. I'll have to remove the Snap N Nap to get the stall out whole, but it has to come out for reframing anyway. Thanks for your help. BTW-Look on the Truck Camper magazine site at David's '76 Amerigo rebuild if you haven't already. It's Awsome! There is also one partially rebuilt on the Pirate 4x4 site. -Carey
Old rig '99 Lance 1130

Sweet_Tater
Explorer
Explorer
Holy cow, Just looked at your new pics, that looks like you are working on mine, just about the same rot in the same places. As for removing lil johnny, mine was so rotted it really wasnt much trouble getting it loose inside the camper. The floor wa completely gone in mine, so the only thing I had to do was separate the stall from the black tank below it. a saws all worked well on that, and since I wasnt going to reinstall the stall, I cut it in half to remove it from the camper.

btw, brace that area good, that shower stall is more support than it looks.

76AMERIGO
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Carey,
I rebuilt my 76' two years ago and see some familiar rot!
Stick with it and you'll have a great camper. If you ever have questions, feel free to contact me and I'll see if I can help you out.
TruckCamper magazine has some photos of mine, if you want to see it.

Good Luck!
Dave MacQuaid
Dave
2001 F-350 PSD C/C LB 4X4
1976 Amerigo w/ Snap N Nap *SOLD*
1979 CJ-7 304ci/Turbo 400
2014 Cougar Lite 28RDB

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
I have posted more pictures to the blog. Still tearing out. Soon to start rebuilding. More later. Thanks for the interest. Carey
Old rig '99 Lance 1130

Blind_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
I also will be following this as I have a 72 model myself. Mine is not the snap and nap model but, I am still interested to see what you do. Good luck.
2010 F250 extended cab long bed.

1972 Amerigo

Sweet_Tater
Explorer
Explorer
cant wait for you to post some pics of what you've already done and what its looking like so far.

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the drawings, Tater. Kurt, I think I like Tater's methods better than a couple of staples. I'll use plenty of staples on other projects.
Old rig '99 Lance 1130

Hey_there
Explorer
Explorer
2cknights,
Hi,
Don't be like Tater and use treated wood and metal bracing. Be like the manufacturers and use pine or poplar, and fasten your studs in place with a couple of staples! Don't put the folks who make staples out of work!

Kurt
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CC LB 6.0
1993 Lance Squire Lite 150 (8'6")
2001 Fleetwood Caribou 11J (11'6")

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
The photo of the 40 year old camper makes it appear to be in good shape. Get some cleaner to remove the black steaks and it would look new. What parts of it need to be redone? I had a friend in Colorado with one of these and his only comment that I can remember was how heavy a camper it was. Of course, this was back in the days of a 3/4 ton pickup with factory suspension was considered to be a "big" truck.
I had a set of those removable three jacks, two on one side and one on the other. They were scary to use to load and unload. The first thing I would do to that rig is install a set of good electric jacks on each corner. LOL
Sounds like a fun project, especially if you have someplace to work on it indoors.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".