cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1990 six pac camper sc100

leewebb7
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all!..I just joined r.v.net..and have a general question about my camper...my wife and I just bought a 1990 six pac camper..excellent condition...like new on inside..but I can't for the life of me figure out how to drain the fresh water tank..... I've looked everywhere..I've drained the black and gray....but see no valve for the fresh. I would assume you open the gray and just run the pump till it empties..but I do not want to burn the pump up...does this sound right??.I've checked the owners manual..nothing.i have all the manuals for all the equipment on board...it's a shurrflo water pump I believe...
1990 six-pack sc100
2005 Ford F250
27 REPLIES 27

leewebb7
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, I see... Alot better than how I went and picked mine up..no straps on front and just strapped the back down to the bumper...it made it home though..lol...nice set up btw. Camper looks good
1990 six-pack sc100
2005 Ford F250

teambeeson
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda dark, but you can kinda see my setup here...

teambeeson
Explorer
Explorer
I have a GMC Sierra 1500 and they go into the pickup bed stake pockets wherein I had to drill/add bolts, which kinda sucks, but it was a used "work truck" so whatever. I believe they're rated to 1,500lbs and my listed "wet" weight is 1,775lb... I'm over that loaded down. They're working like I said, but I'd like better. But for like $90/per 4 they were impossible to beat price-wise. I have an added leaf spring and also Timbrens in the back, which work great.

leewebb7
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at Torklifts. They are pricey, but I guess its better to spend a little money and to have peace of mind...I thought about just making my own I know a lot of guys do that....not sure yet though...how do your tie downs mount to your truck??
1990 six-pack sc100
2005 Ford F250

teambeeson
Explorer
Explorer
Probably no need to jack it up as long as the drain hose is lower than the tank outlet gravity will do the rest.

Don't get Brophy stake pocket tie downs. While I like mine for the price I really don't trust them that much. They're already twisted around a lot in the pockets despite me re-tightening etc. I added 2 front 4,000lb ratchet straps I attach to the frame as insurance, but as soon as I can afford them I'm going with the Torklifts and at least their basic springs.

leewebb7
Explorer
Explorer
oh wow ok....I have the camper off the truck and on blocks right now. I didn't even think to look on the tank!! Ill jack it up when I get home today and see if I see anything. I was only looking at the back where the drain valves are located. The tank still had water in it from the previous owner he just got back from a trip to Vermont. Luckily he dumped the black and gray tanks but left the fresh water tank with some water in it. It wouldn't be a big deal but I don't know when I am going to be able to camp in it, so I didn't want that water just sitting. I have to get my truck rigged up first with some tie downs.
1990 six-pack sc100
2005 Ford F250

teambeeson
Explorer
Explorer
In my 1986 Six-Pac SC100 there is a drain plug lower left/front side of the tank as you're looking at it. Attached is like 8' of clear hosing with a clamp at the end. I snake that out the back, suck on it just enough to get it flowing and let it do it's thing. I don't know if a previous owner added that or not. It gets all, but maybe 1/2 gallon at the bottom. I usually throw a pinch of bleach in there to keep everything at bay if it's sitting for awhile.

As a water capacity test I ran the pump for 15 minutes straight once without a problem, but it did get HOT.

leewebb7
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Tiger4x4RV...I have the original manual and you are right it doesn't say...it just keeps stating drain the water tank after you winterize it or clean it out with bleach and water, then drain(to get remaining bleach out) but says nothing about how to drain lol...oh well...It did say that the water pump is not equipped with an automatic off when the pump gets dry.Ill just open the sink faucet and empty it through the gray tank.
1990 six-pack sc100
2005 Ford F250

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
This, from the Six-Pac website, might be useful to you. It mentions draining the water tank, but gives no clues as to how to do this.

Owner's Manual for 1970's to 1990's Six-Pacs
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

leewebb7
Explorer
Explorer
Lol, ok thanks for the help
1990 six-pack sc100
2005 Ford F250

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The only thing that will "burn the pump up" is running it dry. Go ahead and pump it out.

My camper has a drain on the main tank, but it empties directly into the truck bed, which would not be good for the UNtreated OSB (flakeboard) bottom of my camper. The only option is to pump the tank out through the shower between trips so the water doesn't turn into a science experiment.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

leewebb7
Explorer
Explorer
That's what I'm starting to think...my main concern was burning the pump up trying to empty all the water through the sink..
1990 six-pack sc100
2005 Ford F250

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
It might be that it has no drain. I had a 1989 camper (not a SixPac) which was that way.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed