cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1992 Chevy C3500 Dually

shbiv
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab HEMI that I added 4.56s. It tows extremely well with my travel trailer. However, for the past two years I have only put about 1,000 miles per year on it since it is now a dedicated tow vehicle. I have been thinking about how it is depreciating sitting on the side of my house and I could surely use the money that it is worth for other things.

I have noticed a 1992 Chevy C3500 Dually with 127,000 miles on it. It has the 4 speed automatic with 4.10s and the 454. The truck looks to be in very good shape, but have not saw it in person yet. Asking under $4,000 for it.

What are your thoughts? How will this compare to my current setup? Horsepower on the C3500 is much less than the HEMI but the torque is about the same on both. My travel trailer is about 8500-9000 lbs.

I would most probably keep the C3500 for the next 5-7 years and will put on it about 1,000 or so miles per year.
2007 Dodge Ram Mega Cab, HEMI, 4.56 gears :C
2010 Saab 9-5 Aero XWD
2012 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring AWD
2010 Crossroads Zinger 29DS
32 REPLIES 32

shbiv
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping to get right under 18,000 for mine. New tires less than 1,000 miles ago. 42,000 miles on the truck. All service done. Gear oil changed out every 10K. Oil changes every 3K. Transmission service/filter/spark plugs at 30K. Coolant/Brake Fluid/Power Steering Fluid (Dodge ATF) done at 40K. Will see if I get any bites.

The 1992 is listed for 3900 which seems appropriate.
2010 Saab 9-5 Aero XWD

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious how much for truck?????

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
My mistake. Not sure what I was thinking with that one.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

shbiv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds promising. Just hoping to sell my truck before this one goes away since it looks to be in really nice shape.
2010 Saab 9-5 Aero XWD

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on the trans behind that 454.
Puma 30RKSS

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
ls1mike wrote:
I towed a 7000 lbs loaded 5th wheel for years with an 89 GMC 1 ton TBI, TH 400. You will do nothing fast but...Problems are few and far between and are cheap and easy to fix. It will pull anything you need where ever you need to go. Foot on the floor at 4000 RPM on the big hills and won't even cry.

The only difference is you have the 4 speed auto, which in that year is a 700R4. Not sure how it held up to the Big Block.

I loved that truck, it reliable and easy to fix. Having said I would not go back to it after my current 3/4 ton 6.0 Gasser. It is just more truck and tows better power wise. Stability is a toss up.

Here it is in St. Regis, Mt. after pulling up and going down Look out pass.

All my trucks have been dedicated tow vehicles. I got rid of the truck above when it had 190,000 original miles on it. Same engine, same tranny all those years. So if you are using it 1000 miles a year and it is dedicated to towing it may not be a bad thing.

The TH700 was never used in the 3500 and never used behind the 454...the truck will have a 4L80E.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 98 k3500 cc long bed. Restored it and towed one season. 5.7 . 4l80e

horrible braking. Wrecked. 2 Times. And 2Nd accident put it out of misery. I loved it!
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
I like to kick it old school !! forget driving what everyone else drives show them you can do the same thing on old versions too. We may have upped power over the years, but we have compromised simple !!! To much******on these new trucks !

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
These were good tow vechicles. Other trucks to look at might be a older Dodge with the 5.9 or older Ford with the 7.3.

Wyomings
Explorer
Explorer
I was too young to ever tow with it but my grandparents had the srw version of what you are looking at. They lived in Washington state and towed all over, Canadian Rockies, Yellowstone, down to Arizona.
This is a bad pic but you can see the truck in the lower left photo and sort of in the one about it. Two different 5ers.

We were usually following them with our suburban and tt, which you can sort of see in the one photo.

That was back when people didn't expect to go 70 up steep mtn passes.

I don't know for sure what year their pickup was, but I'm pretty sure it was the first year for that body style.

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
We towed 9k with an 91 Chev, 454 and 4L80E, worked fine. Friend has an 92 that he bought new and intends to keep forever.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

glamisorbust
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely do what you're thinking about, if the truck is as nice as you say it is. Those trucks are very simple to work on, you can actually fix stuff yourself. I had a 1994 K1500 with the 350/4L60E. That was the most problem free vehicle i've ever owned. It had 200k miles on it when I sold it, and was still running strong when I sold it. The gas mileage will probably be around 6 or 7, but it will pull anything you put behind it.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'. Cummins ISB 275, allison 3060.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
I towed a 7000 lbs loaded 5th wheel for years with an 89 GMC 1 ton TBI, TH 400. You will do nothing fast but...Problems are few and far between and are cheap and easy to fix. It will pull anything you need where ever you need to go. Foot on the floor at 4000 RPM on the big hills and won't even cry.

The only difference is you have the 4 speed auto, which in that year is a 700R4. Not sure how it held up to the Big Block.

I loved that truck, it reliable and easy to fix. Having said I would not go back to it after my current 3/4 ton 6.0 Gasser. It is just more truck and tows better power wise. Stability is a toss up.

Here it is in St. Regis, Mt. after pulling up and going down Look out pass.

All my trucks have been dedicated tow vehicles. I got rid of the truck above when it had 190,000 original miles on it. Same engine, same tranny all those years. So if you are using it 1000 miles a year and it is dedicated to towing it may not be a bad thing.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

mythree
Explorer
Explorer
One with a 4 speed granny low. Pull a house down but not fast.
1 newborn ds
2 dd
1ds
1 beautiful dw

shbiv
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the thoughts. Anyone towed with one of that vintage recently that can provide some feedback?
2010 Saab 9-5 Aero XWD