cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st pull w/ new F350

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Had my 1st pull w/ RV last w/e w/ new '17 F350 dually. Trip was pretty flat, so no hills to test things out better if you will. Pulled very well and did notice right away how there was little if any sway w/ trailer. Still have to get use to wider turn radius--especially pulling into campsite. One thing I did notice tho was that when I went over heaved pavement seams, the rear of truck seemed like she really slammed to get back down. This despite having close to 4k on it's back. Just read another thread where poster was asking about the rear susp upgrade (Sulastic) and it's claims to reduce what seems like the same thing I experienced. Is this normal for a dually? Really don't want to hear/feel every seam/expansion joint all the time. Suggestions as well?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
10 REPLIES 10

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've experienced what I call "overload slap" on my DRW when just the camper is loaded, and nothing else.

The overload springs are just barely engaged, so when the truck goes over a bump, it unloads them and comes back down on the springs, SLAP! It is very jarring.

If you're running airbags I would recommend trying less pressure in them. This will allow the overload springs to engage more, so hopefully they won't unload when you go over a sharp rise or hit a bump at speed.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
ACZL wrote:
shepstone wrote:
Congrats on the new truck! That 6.7 a heck of an engine, wait till you see how it flattens any mountain you point it at, had ours for about nine months now and it’s never been back to the dealer or had a recall, only problem has been a flat tire.

Thanks. This is my 2nd 6.7 in just over 3 years. Weight of new 5er on SRW's tires and going to FL in height of summer heat precipitated the need to go w/a dually. Was very impressed w/ my '15 and 3.55 gears towing the BC and new truck has 4.10's so she should be even better on the hills.

Our '12 6.7PSD will be making a pull from Texas to Florida this summer. About the biggest hill on this route is the Mississippi river bridge.

The last time we drove this route it was unbelievable the amount of travel trailers with blow outs on the side of the road and was always during the afternoon heat.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
shepstone wrote:
Congrats on the new truck! That 6.7 a heck of an engine, wait till you see how it flattens any mountain you point it at, had ours for about nine months now and it’s never been back to the dealer or had a recall, only problem has been a flat tire.

Thanks. This is my 2nd 6.7 in just over 3 years. Weight of new 5er on SRW's tires and going to FL in height of summer heat precipitated the need to go w/a dually. Was very impressed w/ my '15 and 3.55 gears towing the BC and new truck has 4.10's so she should be even better on the hills.
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ACZL wrote:
Cummins,

Running 65 psi as this was my very first pull w/ truck/RV.

Not sure if air bags are really needed just yet as truck comes down on rear of aux spring. It's the "rebound" if you will where susp is forcing itself back onto the "smooth" blacktop ASAP which I feel the abrupt "bang".

Scott,

TY.

Look up your tires weight/inflation chart. Add 5 psi to your Actual rear tires weight. You mY be running more air pressure than needed.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins,

Running 65 psi as this was my very first pull w/ truck/RV.

Not sure if air bags are really needed just yet as truck comes down on rear of aux spring. It's the "rebound" if you will where susp is forcing itself back onto the "smooth" blacktop ASAP which I feel the abrupt "bang".

Scott,

TY.
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"Catin' in the Winter"

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I've pulled with two duallys and my pin weight is 3500lbs. The first truck was a 3500 with overload springs. My current truck is a 4500 with a complete Link Air Rear suspension.

The 3500 would float over bumps similar to the ride in a Cadillac. There were times when I could feel the suspension hit the overload springs on larger bumps. When that happened there was a noticeable bump but it wasn't jarring. The overall ride was very smooth.

The 4500 with the air suspension is also smooth over bumps of any size. Over larger bumps the air system senses and adjusts the pressure automatically to overcome the bump.

Air bags may help your situation.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We found with our last dually, which was a 2015 Ford, that it really helped to have at least a half tank of water in the trailer. On our first trip with 5er with it, we were feeling every single bump etc. Once we stopped halfway and put some water in, it rode so much nicer. Our 5er is a similar size to yours... a bit shorter but around the same weight.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
What psi are you running in the rear tires?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Wow, nice combination you have there!
Never pulled with a dually but I can only imagine how much more stable it would be.
Congrats!