cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2 cycle generators

Reno21
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all! I'm considering an inexpensive 2 cycle generator just for occasionally charging my camper battery. Has anyone had any luck with these?
Thanks
34 REPLIES 34

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
I'm buying a 2-stroke generator and coming to YOUR campground. LOL!!!
Camp Host, from the other side.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am using 800W from HF for like 5 years and for mountain camping prefer to run it, keeping the build-in 3600W inverter propane generator quiet.
Even the muffler is small, with the engine size it does not make much noise.
That thing runs everything in my camper but AC, but camping in the mountains I never need AC.
Great buy for $80.
Harder to start than my electronic Honda, but I've been dealing with small engine since I was 14, so lot of experience.
Keep the fuel valve off when not in use.

spyder152
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is, but I thought it was more of a price issue not wanting to spend $1000 for the honda. And I might ad that it runs my ac as well
1998 Fleetwood Caribou 11M on a 1997 F350 7.3L Crewcab

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
spyder152, that's not a two stroke though, right?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

spyder152
Explorer
Explorer
I use this one. Quiet and the specs are comparable to Honda and Yamaha with half the cost. It can be had for $429 this weekend with a coupon.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-peak1600-running-watts-28-hp-797cc-portable-inverter-generator-carb-62523.html
1998 Fleetwood Caribou 11M on a 1997 F350 7.3L Crewcab

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could also just set up some heavier charging cables and charge off your truck's alternator.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Reno21
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts. I especially like the references to to old 2 stroke motorcycles as I used to race those in the 70's. My needs are just for something to possibly recharge my TC batteries on extended camping trips which are very few. I don't stay in campgrounds. At most it might be used 2 or 3 times a year. I have 2 larger generators( larger than I care to carry) at home and I find it hard to spend $1000 on a Honda for such limited use. You all bring some points to ponder and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. In the event I do get a cheap 2 cycle gen I'll let you know it works out.
Thanks again, Dwight.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
.. if you find yourself standing around the generator with others and the words "not THAT loud" are uttered by anyone, it's too loud. They're trying to be nice.
Or, 'good for the money.'
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've only ever seen the smokey noisy ones. If there's one that's not so obnoxious and it's that cheap, it could work but one of the 4-stroke Honda-clones would still be better.

I've done the same thing, ran cords to nearby people nearby rather than listen to their lawnmower-engine generators.
There have been times when my Hondas were the thing breaking the silence and running cords to the otherwise-powerless neighbors made it a much-appreciated good thing.
Always bring extra cords!!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

slickrock_steve
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^^^^^ THIS !!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
2 stroke smell/sound is pretty cool on a dirtbike. I don't think I want to smell/hear it in a campground. ๐Ÿ™‚

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
towpro wrote:
rjxj wrote:
There may be one good point to the 2 stroke. Run golden Specto or klotz oil and all the old dirt bikers will be over to bs with you. ??

blendzall is my favorite 2 stroke smell. Good old castro oil blend.

Yep. Nothing like the smell and sound of CR 250 or YZ on the pipe doing a big hill in the woods. Oh yeah.

Stop it, stop, ahhh the smell of 2 stroke mix. The beautiful sound, when they are on the pipe!

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
Where and when I run mine will never bother anybody.

I like that it runs on propane, you can get one that runs on gasoline too.

LP - No carb to foul out, spark plug life 2-3 times that of a gas engine, oil stays cleaner longer and propane never goes bad regardless of how long its stored. And no gas cans to deal with.

3250 running 4000 surge watts - 30 amp plug, 2 - 110 outlets and a battery charger.

I thought this was a pretty good deal. Runs like a $$million.

Sportsman GEN4000LP

on edit: "it runs at less than 68 Db"

I'm sure it would piss off 9/10 of the folks here it you ran it next their RV while they were eating dinner or watching a romance movie on their big screen. LOL!!!!
Camp Host, from the other side.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
"Loud" and "quite" are subjective, and if you're in the presence of others, your opinion does not count.

One rule of thumb I've come to agree on is that if you find yourself standing around the generator with others and the words "not THAT loud" are uttered by anyone, it's too loud. They're trying to be nice.

I've been around these cheap HF 2-cycle generators and they're not THAT loud. They also emit a cloud of blue smoke that lingers unless the wind is blowing.

If you're all by yourself, and none of this bothers you, go ahead. In a public setting be prepared for other people expressing their displeasure. Sometimes you'll find a nice fellow that will loan you power. Other times you may discover that the generator can be used as a suppository.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.