Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2000 Fleetwood Camper - Owner's Manual?

Carolnma
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

My family has just purchased this camper, which happens to be in quite good condition! The previous owner didn't have an Owner's Manual.
Now that we are responsible for care and feeding of the camper, we find that it's impossible to find a manual online. Do any of you know where one can be located? We are first-time camper owners and need education; hopefully starting with this manual. Thanks to any/all for your help.
35 REPLIES 35

Carolnma
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Again Everyone,

All of your helpful information has been so great! I've noted the updates we have made to the truck in another post. We are pleased to know that, with the improvements, we should be "ok" for our trip cross-country when we move from CA to PA, with our pets with us. That's the real purpose for buying this truck camper vs a tow vehicle. Maybe we have been foolish (I hope not), but this arrangement works for our budget and peace-of-mind.

On another note: My family says it isn't necessary to weigh the truck and camper as described. They don't have the practical experience that you have (and I value your advice very much!). I even noted the comment about breaking the rear axle, which was in an earlier entry. Now they are competing with me to see "who is right." I don't care who is right, I just want to make sure we all travel safely. Should I drop this discussion point with my family or push it further? Should I wait (weight, lol!) until we have some practice going out for some drives and overnighting a bit?

I am wary about the axle, given comments made on this thread. Do you know where I can look to see what the capacity of the axle is? And (you may want to shoot me), could we safely pull a small trailer, fully loaded at about 1,000 lbs? My family wants to haul special/specific things with us, and found a foldable trailer "kit" on the Harbor Freight website (I know, I know, we should ship it, but I gotta see if this other option is feasible).

Thanks for any helpful advice, comments, or links that you can share.

Carolnma
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

Wow, that’s a terrible outcome!

Our F150 is a 2016, and we are adding an airbag package
that allows us to carry 5,000 lbs. Our tires, when inflated to 45lbs, ca carry
9,000 lbs. We can’t do anything about the axle, and I’d appreciate
receiving practical guidance that might assist us. Thanks!

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I literally broke the rear axle in my F150 I used to haul a camper on when I was young and crazy.
It had helped springs and Rancho 9000 shocks and bigger tires and drive fine, until it snapped lol.
Those trucks are way better suited to pulling trailers, that’s what I’d do if I still had a half-ton.
They have one small wheel bearing on each side, rather than two large ones like the 250/350 trucks.
And the axle shaft actually carries the weight, rather than “floating” with no weight on it, only providing the power like on the 250/350 trucks that have a big hub that takes the weight instead.
That’s why you don’t want a 150 for a camper. It’s not just numbers in the book.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to know how weight is distributed on your truck, there are truck scales just south of Todd Rd. at the Recycling Center. You can pay to have your truck weighed empty (each axle if you want) and then go back with the truck camper loaded up..same procedure. There can be concerns with both too much weight on the rear and not enough on the front. It's the easiest place to do it and you can take the back roads if necessary but go early!
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Carolnma
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to any/everyone who has provided practical advice and support. I'm printing out and reviewing documentation that I never thought would be available, and getting great info. regarding the truck's rear suspension and tires. Some points we suspected to be true, but with your help, we know them to be true.
We are meeting with our favorite repair shop folks, who happen to specialize in such things!

The point, for us, in purchasing this 2000 Fleetwood Angler and using it with our Ford F-150, is to have a safe and economical way to transport us and our pets as we relocate from one side of the U.S. to another, in 2020. Until then, we will have several (many?) practice runs and just keep-on-learning.

Please continue to share your practical knowledge and expertise. It means alot to us as we start on this "relocation" road (and have some fun along the way!)

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Airbags will keep it from sagging in the rear, but will do nothing for the rear tire capacity which is likely the weakest link.

Keep in mind that payload will include people and other stuff like water etc as well. In other words, (truck camper+stuff in truck camper)+(stuff in truck)+(people).

It’s probably going to be a good idea to fill the tires to max pressure. Still, I’d go to a scale fully loaded including propane/water etc to get an idea about where you are. You may still choose to use it anyway, but at least, you’ll know where you stand.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I would definitely ensure tires are up to task and plan replacement before hitting the freeway if needed. Regardless of age or condition as F150s came with P rated tires and you need something rated for the planned weight.
Jacks (100# or 25#ea) were standard equip on the Angler, so part of listed weight, electric conversion wont add any real weight.

The 2001 brochure lists the Angler 8B.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Carolnma, you may have more camper than your truck should carry, or you may be very frugal with what you pack and know for sure that the camper is on the light end of the spectrum and be just fine.
Either way, "most" hard side campers are too much for 1/2 ton truck rear axles. And out of an abundance of caution, especially due to you being new to this, make sure you know what that thing weighs, loaded.
Also be prepared for the onslaught of berating posts from users here because you said the F word (F150) and truck camper in the same sentence....
That said, there are enough 1/2 ton trucks hauling smallish campers around to prove that it can be done in some cases. Just make sure you know what you're getting into.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Is it 1800 lb with jacks or without?
I see those rental Lances on F150 at campground, but no jacks and the camper has about 1/2 of floor space mine has.
Are you planning to be comfortable with it?

Carolnma
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, The F-150 is a 2016, V6+ ecoboost. The Angler (M-8 B) weighs about 1800 lbs and, with airbags added, the weight won’t be a problem. Our family did a lot of research before this purchase, but if you know something specifically helpful that might help us make the most/best use of this truck/camper combo., ‘would love to know about it. Many thanks

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
F150? You are new to this...
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Fleetwood made upscale campers, most of them with basement and attic.
Those are not light.....

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
A very legit question. I've seen this out a couple times, once local and the other in Utah. Hopefully the Fleetwood model is in proportion to the 150 truck. half ton option
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Um may I ask which modle camper your planing to put on an F-150?
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Carolnma
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for this helpful information! 'Much appreciated!

I printed-out the 2002 brochure for reference. We will have an RV Tech do an inspection and see what needs to be done to ensure safety, reliability and function. We will be adding airbags to our Ford F-150, as well as a retrofit kit for the manual jacks (provided by previous owner).

Yes, we will have some "practice" runs at some campsites, and thanks for those suggestions. Next year we will be traveling cross-country in this camper, with pets, so we will need to have several practice trips here in Northern California. 'Looking forward to them!

Thanks for offer to answer Qs via PM.

We are excited to have this camper!