cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2000W Pure Sine Sound Wave Inverter/Charger

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always thought the biggest shortcomings of any RV was the inability to use the wired AC outlets when dry camping. You can put all the solar/wind generators you want, but tapping into your battery bank is impossible without the use of an inverter. I wish more rigs other then top-end Class A's would offer that option.

I currently have two of the Sears Platinum Series Group 31's in my truck camper. These are similar to Lifeline batteries only easier to get customer service due to them being a Sears brand.

I want to install a 2000W Pure Sine Sound Wave Inverter/Charger from Camping World that would charge and also send pure sine wave power to the outlets when dry camping.

Anyone done this install yet? If so, how do you like it?
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue
11 REPLIES 11

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I'm running a Xantrex ProSine 2.0 2000 watt/100 amp charger.

Having worked for Heart Interface for about 10 years, inverters became a part of my lifestyle, after seeing what can be done with them. It's much more convenient to cook a quick microwave meal powering up the microwave with the inverter rather than dragging out my portable generator.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
msiminoff wrote:

I have a ProSine 2.0 2000W inverter in my TC and it does exactly what you are describing... All of my interior and exterior outlets are powered by the inverter when shore power (or generator) is unavailable. When on shore power I can charge my battery at (up to) 100A.

That's the same inverter I have. I went with that model (from Xantrex) because it's low profile.

Xantrex is a well known name in the inverter/charger industry. Their roots go back to the mid 80s when it was three separate companies (which Xantrex gobbled up in the early 2000s.) It Used to be Heart Interface, Statpower and Trace Engineering.
Bob

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
When i bought the new 5th wheel we added a 2000w Pure Sine inverter. I've been thinking about doing this for the TC for some time rather than using the two small portable PS wave inverters currently in use. The problem I see with the TC is the Magnum inverter/charger/converter is pretty darn big. It would take up some valuable space in my little basement. And ditto what 2oldman said, i had to to have the install on the fiver rewired when they didn't do it the way I wanted. In the end I have two small subpanels thanks to the communication fubar between me, the sales dork and the installer/tech (Magnum MS2012-20b). It works perfect but easier to sit with the installer first and tell them EXACTLY what you want.
2016 - Heartland Landmark Newport
2006 - Lance 1181
2005 - Fleetwood Prowler AX6 365BSQS - San Felipe Mexico Getaway!
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
I decided to install separate brown colored receptacles that work strictly off the inverter (4 total). The OEM receptacles that work off of shore power are white. We know if we are on inverter power to use the brown receptacles. If we are on shore power, we use the white ones. We have no issues with turning off the converter or accidentally running the worng appliance by mistake. I use the 1000 watt Xantrex Pro Sine Wave and it works great. It took me a few hours to run the 4 separate outlets and its one of the best things I ever did.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been using hard wired installed MSW inverters for our 4 cabined boats since 1985 and in our 7 RV's since 1989. We are very well versed and experienced with inverters and their usage and how long they will run until the battery voltage drops to the 10.2V or 10.5V and the inverters will auto shut down!

The hard wired inverters were from 750 watts to 2500 watts in size. The 750 to 1500 watt inverters had 3 group 31 deepcycle batteries and the 2000 and 2500 watt inverters have 7 of the same batteries in their banks. Also have 4 smaller inverters not hard wired from 300 watts to 500 watts in size. They are a wonderful source of silent 110 AC even thought we also have gas or propane fueled generators too. Generators make noise but inverters don't! They are perfect for at night TV, microwave, puter, etc or in the early morning for coffee, toast, TV, microwave, etc when no noise is wanted ever. DO NOT use an inverter for a hairdryer as it alone takes all a 2000 watt inverter can handle and will drain a battery bank real fast down to auto shutdown. As a battery's voltage drops from 12.6V the amperage draw to produce 110 AC wattage needed increases which hastens the discharge drasticly .

Example: a microwave using 1000 watts AC usually will only be running for a minute or so and the same for a toaster and most coffemakers draw 900 watts or less and run for 3-4 minutes depending on size and brand. A hair dryer however draws around 1875 watts and will be running for 5 to 10 minutes per person's use. 2 people drying their hair for 10 minutes will draw a bank of 3 group 31 deepcycle 205 minute reserve 12V batteries down to 50% as we know so well and learned NOT to do it. Wait until you can use the generator if you must use a hairdryer.

If you are hooking your inverter to the shore power AC input on your RV, you are going to be running your converter which is not needed all the time the inverter is turned on and a normal RV converter draws between 350 and 500 watts of 110 AC as it's also trying to recharge your batteries too. So you'll need a 2500 watt inverter to have even 1875 watts (15 amps) of AC usable from the RV outlets. In other words, you are wasting your battery reserve amps running the converter for nothing! To avoid this waste there's 2 ways:

1. Install a 25-30 amp relay activated by the turned on inverter to cut the AC going to your converter before the turned on inverter is plugged into the RV shorepower connection/cord.

OR

2. "I learned to do it this way". In the TT's and 5th wheels I mount the inverter in a storage area and use a remote control. $30 tops! Then ran two new 15 amp AC circuits by running two #14 household AC wire thru the basement etc of the RV and added an outlet next to the exiting RV AC outlet in the bedroom and bathroom on one 15 amp circuit in the living room and one in the kitchen on the other new 15 amp circuit. Thus, the inverter has absolutely nothing to do with the RV OEM wiring or converter and can't be shorted out or cross wired and so convenient. Merely have to move an appliance plug from the RV circuit outlet to the inverter outlet for power. How hard is that and our batteries thank us and reward us with more than double the voltage charge reserve life. The TT's and the 5th wheels have 5-7 batteries in their banks.

I did one truck camper this same way with a seperate wired circuit but found that it's just as easy to have a 6 outlet strip screwed to the wall and always plugged in to the inverter since the interior space is so much smaller. In a TC, the inverter is right on the wall under the fridge or on the side of the front step covering the fresh water tank. Simply turn on the inverter and plug into the strip and have AC anytime anywhere. Fridge auto switches over to gas as does the waterheater anyway. One battery is in the TC battery comparment and 2 more are in the truck bed between the rear wheel well and the box front on the driver's side. They clear the TC lower by about 2".
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I recommend four of those batteries if you will be actually drawing 1500w or more.

http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literature/Manuals

2.4.5 Wiring the Battery Bank (page 18)

Info: For the MS Series inverter/charger to perform optimally, a minimum battery
bank of 200 AH is recommended for moderate loads (<1000W) and greater than 400
AH for heavy loads (?1000W).

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
egarant wrote:
If you're only asking Truck campers, I don't know. If you're asking everyone, then yes, a whole lot of us have. The posts are in Tech issues.

It's always a risk having it done by an installer unless YOU dictate exactly how you want it installed.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bearhawk
Explorer
Explorer
I added three Group 31's in parallel and a 1800w inverter. I ran an extension plug to a junction box and used normal house wiring to wire in an outlet to my nightstand. Now a TT has more room to install than a TC but the logic is the same. I can access the inverter without going outside which is good for resetting the fuse and turning on. The stock outlets are not activated. I suppose you can backfeed to them with a male to male plug but I am not that electrically smart - so I leave that thought alone.
Bearhawk (n): A Plansbuilt Amature Aircraft. An expensive hobby that was replaced by 2007 29FBS Jayco Jayflight G2 & 2008 F350 Crew with 6.4L Diesel
At least this adventure flew off the drawing board and running out of fuel is not as dangerous! :B

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Many folks have done what you plan on. Currently the "best bang for the buck" for a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter is a prowatt by Xantrex from best converters. Prowatt $355.00

I simply added a shore power thirty amp outlet that is powered by the inverter. I plug in the rv after turning off the converter, and (usually) setting the fridge to propane.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
egarant wrote:

I have a ProSine 2.0 2000W inverter in my TC and it does exactly what you are describing... All of my interior and exterior outlets are powered by the inverter when shore power (or generator) is unavailable. When on shore power I can charge my battery at (up to) 100A.

Keep in mind that with 200A/h of battery capacity, you won't be able to operate a 2000W inverter at full power for very long, but for smaller loads you should be fine. You might consider sizing your inverter to meet your real world power needs.

misterpat1975 wrote:
wouldn't the built in charger on the inverter Your thinking of interfere with the TC's converter?

With an inverter/charger there is no need to have a converter at all.

Cheers
-Mark
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

misterpat1975
Explorer
Explorer
I have been thinking of doing something similar. I am thinking of installing a new outlet that the inverter would power. And having the inverter on a switch to use when its needed.

This is the model I was looking at.

http://invertersupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=427

It has a built in transfer switch that will switch over to campground power seamlessly once plugged it.

I'm still new to this, but wouldn't the built in charger on the inverter Your thinking of interfere with the TC's converter?
2005 F-250 CrewCab Shortbox V-10
2012 Northstar 850SC