cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2002 6.8 V10 help

mhawk4
Explorer
Explorer
Need some suggestions here from all you with experience with V10 ford.
My TV is a 2002 (in my sig) with only 120.000 miles. I replaced the passenger head gasket this past March to repair an oil leak. No issues after the work was done until a month ago i noticed some lack of power and some sputtering like a misfire but no codes shown. I started my TV yesterday (not my daily driver) to go to work and white smoke (steam) coming out of the exhaust. I will post a video or pic as soon as it downloads. When replacing the head gasket we cam across a bulletin from ford about a problem with the head gaskets from the time, the tech who did the work is a Ford Technician and said there is a redesign gasket for the application - so we went with the repair...now i think I am back to square one.
The truck has never gone hot, and maintenance is done by me.

Any one with similar experience? Thank you
1997 Ford F350 7.3L DRW
2016 Keystone Hideout 31RBDS
Blue Ox sway pro, Stromberg Carlson A-frame cargo tray CC-255

Luis,Shelia,Noah,Gabriel
All about the family!!;)
10 REPLIES 10

mhawk4
Explorer
Explorer
This morning while waiting for the school bus, my oldest son noticed the grass in front of my TT's carport is discolored. Same area where we drive for hooking the TT. This means what ever is leaking from the Excursion, was and still is, an external leak before the steaming from the exhaust pipe started on Sunday. Hopefully this will help me point which head is the cause of the problem.
1997 Ford F350 7.3L DRW

Luis,Shelia,Noah,Gabriel
All about the family!!;)

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
joegray wrote:
Oh Oh My bad,,,, I'm used to working on older engines with iron heads. Too long spent on the old hot rods. Glad someone else set the OP straight with correct info.

OP, joegray is trying to tell you to get a place that can check for cracks. I agree, and this is the process a machine shop will use. It's just a different process to check for cracks that's all.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

joegray
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh Oh My bad,,,, I'm used to working on older engines with iron heads. Too long spent on the old hot rods. Glad someone else set the OP straight with correct info.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
mhawk4 wrote:
joegray wrote:
JMHO I would never do just one head. Pull them both off ,have a valve grind done, and magnaflux both heads. That way you know you are good to go, with reconditioned parts. Same amount of work as just doing one head.

I tried to find more info on this magnaflux; how does this work?

You can't mag aluminum heads.........or anything else for that matter. :B

For aluminum you use a process called zyglow. It is a spray on process that will detect cracks.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

mhawk4
Explorer
Explorer
joegray wrote:
JMHO I would never do just one head. Pull them both off ,have a valve grind done, and magnaflux both heads. That way you know you are good to go, with reconditioned parts. Same amount of work as just doing one head.

I tried to find more info on this magnaflux; how does this work?
1997 Ford F350 7.3L DRW

Luis,Shelia,Noah,Gabriel
All about the family!!;)

mhawk4
Explorer
Explorer
stew47 wrote:
Located near Hilton head? I had a great ford master tech work on my truck.

Suspect drivers side gasket went?

No sir, 4 hours away up the Savannah River.
1997 Ford F350 7.3L DRW

Luis,Shelia,Noah,Gabriel
All about the family!!;)

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
When replacing the gasket due to an oil leak, going full bore on it isn't normally needed.

I can tell you a hung open fuel injector can look like a blown head gasket.
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

joegray
Explorer II
Explorer II

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
It's likely either a blown head gasket or cracked head. Possibly the other side, or possibly something went wrong with the work done on the previous side. A compression test should narrow it down.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Located near Hilton head? I had a great ford master tech work on my truck.

Suspect drivers side gasket went?