cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2003 Ford 6.0 Hard start below 60f.

beliveauj
Explorer
Explorer
Having a hard cold start problem on my 6.0.Starts right up if plugged in below 60deg.With key on.
FMP is 47.5 volts
IPR is 14.81
ICP is 19
Running
IPR is 28.1
ICP is 846
SYC is 1
Any help would sure be welcome.
Jim & Jeanne fulltiming and loving it.
Buddy and Emma (Silky Terriers)
2003 Ford F350 Crew Cab "King Ranch" Power Stroke 6.0
2007 Mobile Suites 36SB3 Extra Class Amateur Radio Operator
8 REPLIES 8

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
gmw photos wrote:
Do a load test on both batteries. We had one of the two that had shorted cells, and it was dragging the other down with it. It "seemed" to spin pretty fast, at least just from listening to it. But once I put two new interstate batteries in it, it spun faster, and the tech told me that also this would allow for higher FICM voltage while cranking. Fixed our hard start issues.

X2,
Had a friend with a F350 6.0, and a no start condition. I attempted to jump start him with no luck, replaced both batteries, and the alternator, and all better.
The FICM checked out fine while I was jumping him.

This is why I love my VP44 Cummins only need about half a revolution to start!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Do a load test on both batteries. We had one of the two that had shorted cells, and it was dragging the other down with it. It "seemed" to spin pretty fast, at least just from listening to it. But once I put two new interstate batteries in it, it spun faster, and the tech told me that also this would allow for higher FICM voltage while cranking. Fixed our hard start issues.

beliveauj
Explorer
Explorer
My FMP IS 47.5 to 48.0 before and while cranking.I do not hear the glow plug sound before starting.
Jim & Jeanne fulltiming and loving it.
Buddy and Emma (Silky Terriers)
2003 Ford F350 Crew Cab "King Ranch" Power Stroke 6.0
2007 Mobile Suites 36SB3 Extra Class Amateur Radio Operator

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
You need a minimum of 500# ICP, and IIRC 150rpm cranking, before the PCM will fire the injectors. Slow starts are usually one of those two issues. On an '03 it could simply be the ICP sensor, which is in a bad location. Or could be injection pressure is leaking from the usual suspects. Load test your batteries to be sure they are cranking strong. Often can't tell by just listening.

FICM volts maybe, but 47.5 is good. Trick is to watch the FICM volts before, during, and after cranking. Voltage should hold in all those different modes.

And of course glow plugs, but the glow plug monitoring is very good on the 6.0. The GPCM is still a possibility. The monitoring is good, but not perfect.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

bakedalaskan1
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem. Hard to start and ran like******until up to temp then ran fine after that.
Never had any codes and fuel mileage was not off just ran bad for 5 minutes.
New injectors and dummy plugs in fuel rail made it run like new. Mileage at the time was 130,000

Landroamer1
Explorer
Explorer
Son has a 06 6.0 that had the same symptoms that wound up being the ficm. You need a solid 48 volts with the key on if i remember correctly , and it can't drop much when cranking.
14 GMC 2500 HD D/A 2018 Wildcat 375 MC

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most likely it's your FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module). Get with Ed at FICMRepair and he'll hook you up.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I would search or post this information at Powerstroke.org . Those guys are more into trucks and less into rv's. You'll most likely get some good info there.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard