cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2004 5.9 HO

katfish
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 Dodge Duelley with a 5.9 Ho in it.. the other day I stopped at a red light. When I pushed the petal to continue it would not get up to over 40mph. I stopped and turned the engine off and it ran fine after that.. the temp did not go up and all the gauges read good..This is the 2nd time this has happened. last time we took it to the Dealer and he could not find anything wrong, but he was the one that suggested that if it happened again to turn it off and turn it back on, he said that reset the computer/brain???
Anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks
Steve
"Every day is a adventure and every trip is a voyage of Discovery"
Steve & Cathy
U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
2012 KZ StoneRidge 36ul
2004 Dodge 3500 (Diesel DRW)
Advanced Air Rider hitch
14 REPLIES 14

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Cycle the key, on off on off.... 5 times and watch the odometer for codes. Then search for obdII codes to see what they are if you have any. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

katfish
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I will try to find a repair shop that has the appropriate diagnostic equipment..
Steve & Cathy
2012 KZ StoneRidge 36ul
Advanced Air Rider hitch

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on build date, if the Cummins under your hood is 3rd generation, the throttle is 'drive by wire'. As suggested above, could be the throttle position sensor or an issue with the ECM. A shop with the appropriate diagnostic equipment should be able to connect to the truck and track it down for you.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Apps is the same as a tps, throttle position sensor I replaced mine at 60 k. It went suddenly when it went. Mine had codes that vaguely indicated errant throttle voltage also I replaced the apps and no more problems. I still checked fuel psi first.
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

katfish
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies.. No the engine did not run bad before this happened. Lift pump is new. All Guages were normal did not run hot, or an engine light on.. APPS??
Steve & Cathy
2012 KZ StoneRidge 36ul
Advanced Air Rider hitch

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just typed a big response and it wouldn't post.......
If not the fuel pickup/junk in the tank, other 2 likely problems with 03-04 CR Cummins is lift pump if it's the original engine mounted one. Easy to diagnose with a pressure guage while driving.
Another known issue is the APPS. Harder to diagnose if no engine light or didn't throw a code, but relatively easy repair if it's the case.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
Did it run bad while doing this?

Sometimes one of the solienid son an injector start going bad and will cause a misfire. When it misfires, it send signal to ecu, which in turn cut the pulse to the three injectors in that harness.

So basically engine will only run on 3 cylinders when this happens. And it noticably runs bad.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Try changing the fuel filter.

X2. My 05 has done this a couple times and it was the fuel filter. I also worked on a buddy of mines 05 and his screen was plugged on his push pump in the tank. When he shut it down the stuff would fall off the screen enough to run good for a while.

X3.... Or sometimes when people use diesel fuel additives the cardboard seal on the containers cap finds its way in the fuel tank and will block the fuel pick up.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:

X2. My 05 has done this a couple times and it was the fuel filter. I also worked on a buddy of mines 05 and his screen was plugged on his push pump in the tank. When he shut it down the stuff would fall off the screen enough to run good for a while.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

katfish
Explorer
Explorer
New Lift pump from Geno's...
Steve & Cathy
2012 KZ StoneRidge 36ul
Advanced Air Rider hitch

jrp26789
Explorer
Explorer
I would check the lift pump.
If it is fun, the State of Minnesota will try to outlaw it!
2017 F150 2.7 ecoboost
2 tents

katfish
Explorer
Explorer
Changed fuel filter. It has 83000 miles on the truck... checked all the items I could check...
Thanks for the suggestion..
Steve & Cathy
2012 KZ StoneRidge 36ul
Advanced Air Rider hitch

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Different brand but on rare occasion, often when engaging the cruise, our Fleetwood on a Workhorse chassis would go into 'limp' mode and be lucky to hold 40MPH. Pulling over and turning the engine off then back on would fix it. Maybe the same situation????