cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2007 Ford f350? Known issues?

roadtriptoforev
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at a pretty good deal on this. Runs good, low miles. Any known issues with this model? It's a diesel but I'm not sure the engine size yet, they have to call me back
75 REPLIES 75

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
This was the most objective 6.0L thread I have seen in awhile. If the OP is learning diesel mechanics and wants to get a "cheap" diesel and doesn't mind learning/working on his own then I don't think it is a bad choice. If he was someone saying he wanted a diesel that he was going to take his family on a 3K trip then I'd say something other.

I have owned a few 6.0Ls. Two were stock and the one I sold 50K later hasn't given the buyer any problems but when I got it it had 67K was 1 owner stock (pristine) and that is how it was treated. I also had a 230K Excursion stock that I spent almost 3x the purchase price and completely rebuilt/fixed/bulletproofed and drove that 2 years towing 5k-11k without any issues except the orig starter gave out on me one day but 3 hits with the huge open end wrench and I made it home. I sold it to a diesel guy with 250K and he stills drives it. I have also had 2 6.4L's now those can be really big wallet sink holes when you get issues. I can't afford to have one of those with big issues.

At least most good shops can address the 6.0l's issues and many parts are cheaper because of the volume that are still being repaired how about new Ford inj 1.5K or turbo 1.2K factory rebuilt and warrantied for 2 yrs. I also had the LBZ Duramax and had the dreaded p0087 fuel rail pressure code. I googled the code and read through pages and pages with no definitive answers just a list of parts to try starting with cheap plug and ended at injectors. After a few tests I sold it as is to diesel tech and buyer thought it would be something cheap although I gave him the same list. Turned out it was injectors which he said were 3.5K but that was only after the CP4 pump and new turbo were also tried. He is happy as can be with it anyways so don't believe only the 6.0L had pesky issues maybe just more of them ๐Ÿ™‚
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Many, many, many problems with mine, caused me to go back to a gasser.
pawatt

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
The reason Ford 6.0 diesels are so cheap is they have a bad rap. Why? Because they were trouble prone. Not all but more than normal. It's not like all are bad, but the % that is higher than a Cummins or Dmax. While Cummins was making one of the best diesels out there in the 5.9 ford was offering one of the worst. Like buying a fixer upper house. You know it's going to need work before you move in. The 6.0 is cheap because most know that you need to drop $4,000.00 to bullet proof one. Why not take the price of the truck, add $4,000.00 and get a good CTD or Dmax?
The 05 Ford 6.0 that I almost bought sat for close to a year on their lot before it was either traded to another dealer or bought. Ford really shot themselves in the foot with the 6.0

Exactly right. The fact is that a lot of owners can't accept this; I know because I owned one and I backed them too until I started to have issues that I knew were going to be expensive. Now that I'm out of it I feel like I have a huge weight lifted off of my chest and we feel fine about taking our 16k fifth wheel far from home.

Ford lost a lot of loyal customers due to their problem diesels after the 7.3L. My grandfather was the sales manager at a Ford dealership and our family bleeds blue. I did too, having owned 3 F-Series pickups over 20 years including a 7.3L and 6.0L diesel. I just couldn't do it again when I read about the HPFP failures on the 6.7L that Ford tends to refuse warranty coverage on. I plan on keeping my truck for a long time so reliability was paramount to me. I made a change and have no regrets.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
The reason Ford 6.0 diesels are so cheap is they have a bad rap. Why? Because they were trouble prone. Not all but more than normal. It's not like all are bad, but the % that is higher than a Cummins or Dmax. While Cummins was making one of the best diesels out there in the 5.9 ford was offering one of the worst. Like buying a fixer upper house. You know it's going to need work before you move in. The 6.0 is cheap because most know that you need to drop $4,000.00 to bullet proof one. Why not take the price of the truck, add $4,000.00 and get a good CTD or Dmax?
The 05 Ford 6.0 that I almost bought sat for close to a year on their lot before it was either traded to another dealer or bought. Ford really shot themselves in the foot with the 6.0

RooDude09
Explorer
Explorer
The fact of the matter is people beat the living **** out of these trucks. They don't maintaine them properly and they jack the power up and they can't handle it. This is why so many caution buying a 6.0L.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
shum02 wrote:
$25k for a 2003 7.3L? LOL! I think the dealer was way overestimating that trucks value as well!

Already know what the truck is about....i already own one.

I agree... We recently purchased a very nice Super Duty with a 7.3 and didn't pay near that amount. Also I was very pleased when I traded my 6.0 PSD I got exactly what the NADA valued it at with no haggling. Hind sight 20/20 I wished I would kept my 05 6.0 PSD as I'm sure it was a much better truck than the 05 Ram.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:
$25k for a 2003 7.3L? LOL! I think the dealer was way overestimating that trucks value as well!

No, premium 7.3L trucks go for that and much more around here and most other salt free areas in North America. That guy was a well respected used truck dealer in my area and I was dealing on a 2007 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie 4x4 quadcab 5.9L Cummins. He wanted $40k and wouldn't budge on his price. I waffled for a couple of weeks thinking his price was high and when I called him back to discuss it was gone so I guess he wasn't out of line :B He said he would sell a truck like my Ford with a 7.3L within days. Incidentally my 6.0L truck sat on the dealer lot I finally traded it into for 7 months before it sold for very little more than I got for it on trade.

BTW I fully realize you already own one; I read your sig ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

shum02
Explorer
Explorer

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:
I'd buy another 6L. No thought at all. Never left me stranded, can't same the same about those I know who own other brands. ALL or them when they break will cause you to check the balance on your Visa. Not into repairs not covered by a warranty...buy a new truck, not into getting your hands dirty....buy a new truck.

Just be sure to buy it cheap because you will not get much for it when resale time comes. In fact I had 2 separate dealers say that they would not take my 2003 6.0L on trade because they are such a tough sell and are a liability for a reputable dealer. I had 3 others offer me anywhere from $8-10k for it and one of them told me he would offer $25k for it if it was a 7.3L. The dealers that said they would take it said they would send it to auction and not put it on their lot. I put it on Craigslist for $15k and not one call. The truck was in mint condition; it was a F-350 DRW Supercab 4x4 Lariat so also a very desirable truck with the right engine.

I'm sorry but those numbers speak volumes. And in regards to the other brands, they are much more reliable in those years hands down. Anyone who thinks anything else is truly kidding themselves; the resale value of them compared to the 6.0L tells the truth. Like I stated before having a truck that doesn't require constant work/worry is priceless and makes for much more enjoyable vacations!

It would be one thing if the 6.0L had one or two weak points that required correcting but there are so many weak points that one of them is bound to get you sooner or later! I even considered swapping the engine for a Cummins but decided to go with a truck with a bigger cab in the end.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
I'd buy another 6L. No thought at all. Never left me stranded, can't same the same about those I know who own other brands. ALL or them when they break will cause you to check the balance on your Visa. Not into repairs not covered by a warranty...buy a new truck, not into getting your hands dirty....buy a new truck.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Nice try Fiat Fan Boy (FFB) :B

How about this one?

Second try.... I guess is a charm for you.

Are you aware that your picture is a comparison of a Duramax, 7.3 Power Stroke and a 5.9 cummins!

I suppose the Blind Leading the Blind is up your ally.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
mich800 wrote:
The Ford 6.0 has been maligned for its less than stellar reputation. But I don't think is is like the house is out to get you in Vegas. I would really like to see any statistical analysis that show you are more likely than not to get a bad one. I.E. over 50%. I know they have a higher failure rate relative to other options of the same era but I cannot remember reading where the failure rate was anywhere high enough for the below hyperbole. Are there better options, maybe depending on what your priorities are. But by no means not like playing russian roulette with a semiautomatic.

"My point is that if you win big money in the Lottery a lot then go buy one because you have the kind of luck to find a good one. It's that simple. The odds are against you if you buy a 6.0."

I'm by no means saying that if you get a 6.0 you have a better than average chance of it blowing up. I don't mean that at all. Remember, I currently drive a 6.0 and have since it was new in 2006. They are strong motors when they are running.

My definition of a good motor is a reliable motor that will get you home and when something does go wrong it don't cost the bank. They all have things that go wrong and some of these things can break the bank but from my experiences with the 6.0 when something goes bad more times than not it will be put on the hook to get it home and it will cost the bank dearly.

IMHO the 6.0 is not a motor to buy used that a family is going to load up and take out on vacation. Yes they can all break down but the 6.0 is more prone and is usually down for days or longer. The bad thing for the Ford fans is that the used Ford trucks at this time that most people are looking at are not good options as far as diesel goes.

I am a Cummins fan and I won't buy one between 07-12.

It would be interesting to know what the percentage of failures would be on 6.0

We spend a few weeks in Montana every summer ,have done for several years. We have made several friend in the little RV park we stay at. There have been four owners with the 6.0 that we know . Three of them have had engine failures, and two have replaced them with a newer 6.7 Ford, and one with a 6.7 Ram . The fourth is still with his 6.0 Ford, with no apparent problems. In that small group its 75 percent fail rate.

I know all had the head gasket issue, don't know what else. The one guy I know the best had his repaired at Bozeman Ford in Montana, and the price tag was 5K. He kept it for another year ,and trade on a new 6.7 ford.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
The Ford 6.0 has been maligned for its less than stellar reputation. But I don't think is is like the house is out to get you in Vegas. I would really like to see any statistical analysis that show you are more likely than not to get a bad one. I.E. over 50%. I know they have a higher failure rate relative to other options of the same era but I cannot remember reading where the failure rate was anywhere high enough for the below hyperbole. Are there better options, maybe depending on what your priorities are. But by no means not like playing russian roulette with a semiautomatic.

"My point is that if you win big money in the Lottery a lot then go buy one because you have the kind of luck to find a good one. It's that simple. The odds are against you if you buy a 6.0."

I'm by no means saying that if you get a 6.0 you have a better than average chance of it blowing up. I don't mean that at all. Remember, I currently drive a 6.0 and have since it was new in 2006. They are strong motors when they are running.

My definition of a good motor is a reliable motor that will get you home and when something does go wrong it don't cost the bank. They all have things that go wrong and some of these things can break the bank but from my experiences with the 6.0 when something goes bad more times than not it will be put on the hook to get it home and it will cost the bank dearly.

IMHO the 6.0 is not a motor to buy used that a family is going to load up and take out on vacation. Yes they can all break down but the 6.0 is more prone and is usually down for days or longer. The bad thing for the Ford fans is that the used Ford trucks at this time that most people are looking at are not good options as far as diesel goes.

I am a Cummins fan and I won't buy one between 07-12.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer