cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2010 Superduty Cap Wiring Question

gijoecam
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 SuperDuty (Crew cab, short bed) I recently bought a used cap for. There are two pairs of wires at the rear corner, one for the third brake light and one for the interior dome light. There is a brake light signal wire in the wiring harness at the bumper, so that's easy, but can anyone tell me where the easiest/best place would be to catch power for the interior dome light circuit? I'm not seeing anything obvious in the schematics for the truck.

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

gijoecam
Explorer
Explorer
A buddy at work suggested something I hadn't thought of: replace the light with one from a camper. It would have a switch built on which I could replace with an spdt on-on switch, feeding one from the some circuit and one from a hot circuit protected by the battery saver relay. A bit more complex than originally planned, but should work well.

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
Using the trailer 12v line would only work if you had the trucks ignition ON too...

Even using the rear dome light would only be hot when it was on, so if you want the canopy to be ON/OFF on it's own, you'll have to find a hot 12v lead from the fuse box and run your own wire to the light is all I can think of..

You can get those fuses with the little tab on it so you can slip on your wire. Then you would just need to ground it in the bed someplace.

Good luck!

Mitch

If you do run a live 12 volt wire, consider a 12 volt plug in too. I have one and use it quite often.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

1oldtruck
Explorer
Explorer
I wired mine to the parking lights so it wouldn't get left on and run the battery dead. I also used a two prong wire connector, similar to a flat trailer connector, to allow for a quick disconnect when I want to take the topper off.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Using the trailer 12v line would only work if you had the trucks ignition ON too...

Even using the rear dome light would only be hot when it was on, so if you want the canopy to be ON/OFF on it's own, you'll have to find a hot 12v lead from the fuse box and run your own wire to the light is all I can think of..

You can get those fuses with the little tab on it so you can slip on your wire. Then you would just need to ground it in the bed someplace.

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

gijoecam
Explorer
Explorer
Bob/Olallawa wrote:
Should be a power wire in the trailer wiring bundle

I considered using the switched charge life at the trailer connector as a last resort, but that would also require a switch the light itself does not have one.

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Should be a power wire in the trailer wiring bundle
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

gijoecam
Explorer
Explorer
That's certainly the circuit I want to use, but I'm not sure where a good place to catch it and run the wires might be... Unfortunately the schematics don't show anything blunt-cut for that purpose. 😞

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I think they ran mine from the bed light at the back the cab.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro