Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2011 Silverado braking vibrates during downhill

whosgreg
Explorer
Explorer
Hi fellow RVers,

For the 3rd time, going downhill in the mountains, the brakes vibrate. I had to manually use the BC instead of the truck brakes. Tires are brand new. Brake pads are good.

Without the trailer, the brakes don't vibrate downhill. Wonder if I'm setting up the BC wrong because when I manually apply the BC and truck brakes the same time, the brakes didn't seem to be vibrating as much.

Any help would be appreciated.
19 REPLIES 19

97chevor
Explorer
Explorer
I always run downhill in a lower gear. Low enough that truck doesn't speed up off throttle.

marspec
Explorer
Explorer
My F450 did the same thing. Heavy braking downhill or sometimes level ground caused vibration. Not towing no vibration. Took to dealer. Problem was in front end, not the brakes.
2013 F450
Towing 2013 Lifestyle 37RESL

whosgreg
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
It is not warped rotors. True rotor warp is very rare. If it was warped rotors you'd get the pulsation all the time at all speeds.

It's hardened pad material stuck to the rotors. And yes it's caused from heat. Moreover it's caused from improper bedding of the pads, or lack of, after installation. Especially with ceramic pads. After it happens pull over and look at the rotors. You'll see little comet like deposits. It's more prevalent with ceramic pads but can happen with any type of pad. Thickness of pads is not an indicator that this will or will not happen.

I'd put new pads on before doing anything else. And readjusting the BC would not hurt either.

When I push the BC button, the trailer slows down and I know it's working. The number on the BC shows 18. However, I am suspecting that when I apply the truck brakes, I don't feel the trailer brakes being applied. I would assume that the trailer brakes and truck brakes would be applied equally??

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Campfire Time wrote:
It is not warped rotors. True rotor warp is very rare. If it was warped rotors you'd get the pulsation all the time at all speeds.

It's hardened pad material stuck to the rotors. And yes it's caused from heat. Moreover it's caused from improper bedding of the pads, or lack of, after installation. Especially with ceramic pads. After it happens pull over and look at the rotors. You'll see little comet like deposits. It's more prevalent with ceramic pads but can happen with any type of pad. Thickness of pads is not an indicator that this will or will not happen.

I'd put new pads on before doing anything else. And readjusting the BC would not hurt either.

Some more reading can be found at Not warped rotors

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
JustLabs wrote:
As inexpensive as new rotors are, people are still getting old rotors turned?

I've been told places like AutoZone do turn them. I usually don't have them turned so long as the surface is fairly smooth and isn't gouged. Once they start really wearing down I just get new ones.

As far as cost, it's like $12 bucks to turn them. The set of rotors I just put on my Sierra in spring were $45 each. So there is a bit of savings to turn them, mine are usually to far gone to turn them.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

whosgreg
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your advises. I will check them out and see what I can find.

When I push the BC button, the trailer slows down and I know it's working. The number on the BC shows 18. However, I am suspecting that when I apply the truck brakes, I don't feel the trailer brakes being applied. I would assume that the trailer brakes and truck brakes would be applied equally??

JustLabs
Explorer
Explorer
As inexpensive as new rotors are, people are still getting old rotors turned?
2011 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ 4x4 CCLB Duramax/Allison
2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS Fifth Wheel.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Campfire Time wrote:

x3. I would get the rotors turned to remove the deposits, some new pads, and bed them in correctly. Also don't depend so much on the trucks brakes when descending. Let the transmission and the trailer do the majority of the job for you. Also, watch your speed at the top of the hill so that you can more easily control your speed on the way down.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
no issues using our GM brakes. Really don't use the truck brakes going down a mountain. Our 2001 8.1 going North on the I-5 grapevine did over heat the brakes and caused the steering wheel to shake but it was drive error on my part starting too fast at the top. Just not thinking. The allison was new to me.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
My experience and research I did is that rotors seldom warp, however certain pads will deposit bits and pieces of themselves. It was a matter of finding the right pads.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:

This is what's happening, exactly!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like high spots from stopping while the friction material is hot and still
out-gassing...to bake a high spot on the rotor surface(s)

Take it out on the freeway up to 65MPH...NAIL the brakes several times and DO NOT STOP

Keep rolling so that the out-gassing will NOT bake a high spot, but leave an
even coating on the rotor surfacce

Or, change friction material to higher performance. The point at which it will
out-gas will be higher and most likely not bake on a high spot...though they will
too...if you get them hot enough
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
whosgreg wrote:
Hi fellow RVers,

For the 3rd time, going downhill in the mountains, the brakes vibrate. I had to manually use the BC instead of the truck brakes. Tires are brand new. Brake pads are good.

Yep, brakes have been too hot and caused glazing on the pads and/or rotors.

Is the truck diesel or gas? If diesel, do you have an exhaust break or does your transmission have and engine braking feature? If gas, are you leaving the transmission in 'D' or are you shifting to lower gears?

When descending a hill, you really need to let the driveline work for you to scrub off speed. A general rule of thumb is to descend in the same gear you ascended the hill. We have a long steep climb in eastern KY that was always 2nd gear @ 40MPH. I would leave it in 2nd gear on the downhill side and let the engine backpessure scrub speed so I only needed to tap the brakes occasionally to maintain control. If I don't, I'd be on the brakes the entire descent and they would cook in a hurry.
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you're overworking the truck brakes. Check the adjustment of the brakes on your trailer. Trailer brakes need to be adjusted often as they are not self adjusting. Dexter says every 3,000 miles, as I recall.

Do you manually downshift your transmission? Most all hills I go down are done in 4th gear and sometimes 3rd if it's really steep. It helps keep the speed down. I also have the exhaust brake which works well.

Also, could you be towing too much trailer or not have enough truck?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE