cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2011 Tahoe Pulling Passport 2650BH Travel Trailer - Advice

clint_settle
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I purchased a 2014 Keystone Passport 2650BH (31ft w/ hitch, 4800# dry weight)and need some additional advice on towing with our 2011 Tahoe, 5200# tow capacity, 5.3L V8, 3.08 rear ratio. Dealers said we can do it, so here we are, but nervous about being at our max.

Understanding we are very near our max tow for the Tahoe, does anyone have any advice or see any major challenges making this work?

Having sway bars, WDH and break controls installed. Not sure if we have a trans cooler. Checking on that.
- Estimating roughly 3, typically flat land trips, per year (200-300 miles, if that)
- Estimating 1 longer trip, summer time, mainly flat, but one 10
mile slight incline stretch through TN/GA state line (about 800 miles)

1. Can we make this work with the Tahoe, based on the specs and usage above, with minimal risks of issues and safely? Can we do it?

2. Any additional options to improve safety, anticipated problem areas, gas mileage, etc.

Thanks for your input!!

Clint
20 REPLIES 20

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
Too much trailer for that TV IMO. You'll be over capacity on pretty well every measurement. Don't ever take the salesperson's advice about your vehicle's towing capabilities.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

APT
Explorer
Explorer
clint.settle wrote:
Wife and I purchased a 2014 Keystone Passport 2650BH (31ft w/ hitch, 4800# dry weight)and need some additional advice on towing with our 2011 Tahoe, 5200# tow capacity, 5.3L V8, 3.08 rear ratio. Dealers said we can do it, so here we are, but nervous about being at our max.

That salesmen should be fired. The dry weight is only 400 pounds under your tow rating. The yellow sticker as equipped weight is probably another 200 pounds higher. You'll add 200 pounds of clothes let alone food, toys, camping chairs, pots and pans, dishes, coffee pot, etc. The average RVer adds 1200 pounds to MFR dry weight according to a survey done here from people who actually weighed their setup. You'll be every bit of 6k pounds, and closer to 6500 for a week long family trip. But you got what you got so now what?

GM never offered the HD towing package with the 3.08 axle you have. Here is a reference thread on a similar situation. It is not ideal; 3.42 would be better. But you can choose to spend $200 on a trans cooler or spend far more in just sales tax switching the whole truck.

Towing a high walled RV is hard work. Hard on engine, hard on trans. That's why they use twice the fuel (10mpg vs. 20mph) as non-towing at 65mph. Weight does not matter much for fuel economy as you are pulling two sheets of plywood through the air. The transmission shifts a lot more and unlocks the torque converter more than non towing, thus the need for better cooling. The part is like $60. Labor an hour or two for a competent trans shop.

There is the Tahoe's 1000 pound receiver limit and payload issue near 1500 pounds, but you will probably be under those.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
I think our Tahoe had a bit higher tow rating, about 6100 if I recall (3.73 and tow package). I would check you payload capacity, you may very well be above limits with this TT. Our very light Aerlolite is 4490 dry and about 5100 loaded. Tongue id well over 500 lbs loaded. We were well within our specs with this but after a year of towing and expensive problems with the air-ride system, switched to the F150 in sig. Night and day difference. Tahoe was reason we went with smaller TT, now looking at something larger -31 to 32 feet would be max for us even with the F150.
2014 Berkshire 360QL

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your new rig and welcome to the Forum...

"Dealer said we would be fine," are famous words and often famous lies.

4800 lbs dry will be easily 5800 lbs with options and loaded for camping. Since it's a bunk house, I assume you have kids. That means more stuff and more weight.

Also, 3.08 rear end is not optimal for towing. You will definitely need a trans cooler. And, beside the towing capacity you need to look at the PAYLOAD capacity of the Tahoe. I am guessing that loaded with family, gear, and the loaded tongue weight of the trailer, you will be close to or over that number as well.

Stick with it. We all (or at least I did) have to go through the learning curve.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

MackinawMan
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO Clint, you are going to be too close for comfort with this. For one thing don't assume that the 4800 lb. dry weight is accurate. Weigh it yourself. Secondly, even if that's accurate it only leaves you with 400 lbs. of carrying capacity to reach the Tahoe's limits.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly...just because the engine is rated to tow that much weight, doesn't mean the suspension can hold a trailer that heavy.

It's the manufacturer's dirty little secret and very misleading.
2000 Ford F350 XLT 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel CC 4x4 OffRoad SRW Long Bed
2008 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS (Momma Eagle)
Equalizer Hitch System (1400/14000lbs)
Prodigy Brake Controller
Curt XD Class V Receiver Hitch (1500/15000 lb)

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
There are tons of posts about this exact topic. Do a search on tow vehicle or tow capacity and you'll have plenty of reading time. We have a Premier 32 and were in a similar situation. We had a Silverado 1500 and were within tow limits. But once you start using it (loading it) you'll soon realize that it really just doesn't cut the mustard. We didn't feel that the truck had enough gusto. We recently upgraded to a 2500 diesel. The piece of mind is wonderful.