cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 f150 Ecoboost is a Tracer 3150BHD to much??

cman88
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys and gals, new to the forum and new to the trailer life in general.

I have a 2013 f150 fx4 screw with the ecoboost engine and the 3.73 gears. We've been looking at a couple travel trailers and the Prime Time Manufacturing Tracer Ultra Lite # 3150bhd has caught our eyes.

The trailer comes in at 6,955 lbs base weight and 706 lbs hitch weight. The sales guy says my truck will pull this without a problem as long as I use an equalizer hitch. I want to believe him but he knows we like the trailer and could be saying this just to make a sale?

We are a family of 4 with a small dog and are looking forward to camping, but don't want to be buying a trailer that's gonna be to much for my truck.

Here's a link to the Tracer 3150bhd
Tracer 3150bhd

Thanks.
46 REPLIES 46

Marsland
Explorer
Explorer
SAR Tracker,

I tend to agree with you because while technically I think the package CMAN88 is looking at comes in within guidelines it would be pushing the limit.

CMAN88,

You state right up front that this is new for you and your family and to start out with little or no experience towing it may be prudent to gain some time behind the wheel with a smaller package. I agree with Taco, your engine has serious power (I just grin every time I push the throttle down), that's not the issue, your ability to control the trailer versus being pushed around is critical.

Richard
1 (Re)tired DH
1 Terrific DW
2012 Keystone Bullet 284RLS
2012 Ford F150 S/Crew ECOBoost
ScanGaugeII

Taco
Explorer
Explorer
from the looks of fords site you should have 1520 payload and 9600 tow capacity. It is likely that that payload is optimistic.

You have plenty of engine for that load. the deciding factor will be payload and stability.

I think you will probably be right at but most likely over on payload. The stability may be lacking with the softer springs and passenger tires on a 1/2 ton.

You could put LT load range d or e tires, airbags and a good weight distribution hitch and sway control and probably be better off than most of the campers heading down the road that never read this forum and just listen to salesmen.

Or you can find a lighter trailer.

steeleshark
Explorer
Explorer
Go here to find your max payload on the chart.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/payload/
2011 Nissan Armada SL w/Tow Package
2012 Coachmen Freedom Express (292BHDS) Liberty Edition

steelpony5555
Explorer
Explorer
Will it tow it,,,heck yeah,,,will it be a relaxing tow,,,not really,,,,the truck will be working hard. If you only plan on going to the lake and back a couple times a year it will be fine. But if you plan on long distant trips cross country then you might want to look at a lighter RV or a bigger truck. Myself, I travel long distance and I would look at a 3/4 ton truck for that kind of weight and length. That thing is 34 ft looooooong. Also something most people don't think of is pushing air with it. That trailer is 10 ft tall and has a very blunt front on it. Going down the road you will be pushing a lot of air and if you hit a head wind it will dog down that truck. I have a 2500 and if I hit head wind I know it right away and my gas mileage drops from 12 mpg to 8-9 mpg with my diesel. The weight is nothing to that diesel but wind really affects it.
14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Lacrosse version which is only a tad heavier and tow with a 3/4 ton. My opinion is No way. That's a heavy trailer and tongue weight will sky rocket because the only outside storage is also up front. Then add some gear to the bed and you are way up there
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
The Ecoboost is rated at something like 11,500 pounds maximum, but that is when there is no passengers in the truck, nor cargo in the bed.

Your GCVWR is 15,500 pounds. So lets say the full truck before hitching up is 5,500 pounds. That would mean you can tow 10,000 pounds. Yet if you plan on adding 500 pounds more to the truck in passengers and cargo, then reduce the max trailer weight to 9,500 to stay below the 11,500 GCVWR.

And the second thing to consider is the truck weight loaded. Your GVWR can be anything between 7,200 and 8,200 pounds, depending on the cab style, if you have the max towing and max GVWR options. If you have the 8,200 GVWR, and the empty truck is 5,500, you can handle 1,000 pounds of hitch weight, 800 pounds of passengers, and even add some firewood, to give you a total of 7,300 on the truck tires, still well below the GVWR. Then consider the trailer has 8,000 GVW, you do not need to add the hitch weight twice.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
JMHO, but I still think he's looking at too much trailer for the truck. But get it weighed, and do the math.

I'd still worry about stopping it.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

cman88
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like I might have to go to the scales with a full tank and the family and go from there.

cman88
Explorer
Explorer
Marsland wrote:
CMAN88,

First, look at the ratings on the hitch. They are printed on it somewhere. My hitch is rated 500 hitch, 5000 max trailer (non weight distrib), 1050 hitch, 10500 max trailer. All due respect to SAR Tracker, I think Car and Driver got it wrong.

That's just one part of the situation. Next, look at the owners manual. There are a number of charts to filter through with consideration to axle ratio, engine, wheelbase, 2wd/4wd, and cab style. Tow package/max tow package/HD package factors in also.

Based on my pickup, which is very similar to yours, I think you have too much trailer. My Gross Combined Weight Rating is 15400, Truck weighs 6300 with just some gas and me in it. My trailer is 5300 dry. (by the way, don't rely on stickers to tell you the actual weight!) Total is almost 12000. That leaves a comfortable margin for people, gas, water, propane, clothes, food, and all the rest of the stuff. Your truck should weigh close to what mine does and add to that the dry weight of your trailer, 6955, total about 13400 you don't have a lot of wiggle room.

It's a pain but you gotta do the math.

Richard

OK here is my hitch

Looking in my manual my max GCWR is 15500 lbs

Marsland
Explorer
Explorer
CMAN88,

First, look at the ratings on the hitch. They are printed on it somewhere. My hitch is rated 500 hitch, 5000 max trailer (non weight distrib), 1050 hitch, 10500 max trailer. All due respect to SAR Tracker, I think Car and Driver got it wrong.

That's just one part of the situation. Next, look at the owners manual. There are a number of charts to filter through with consideration to axle ratio, engine, wheelbase, 2wd/4wd, and cab style. Tow package/max tow package/HD package factors in also.

Based on my pickup, which is very similar to yours, I think you have too much trailer. My Gross Combined Weight Rating is 15400, Truck weighs 6300 with just some gas and me in it. My trailer is 5300 dry. (by the way, don't rely on stickers to tell you the actual weight!) Total is almost 12000. That leaves a comfortable margin for people, gas, water, propane, clothes, food, and all the rest of the stuff. Your truck should weigh close to what mine does and add to that the dry weight of your trailer, 6955, total about 13400 you don't have a lot of wiggle room.

It's a pain but you gotta do the math.

Richard
1 (Re)tired DH
1 Terrific DW
2012 Keystone Bullet 284RLS
2012 Ford F150 S/Crew ECOBoost
ScanGaugeII

cman88
Explorer
Explorer
mister_d wrote:
cman88 wrote:
No max tow or hd package. Truck GVWR is 7200 lbs going by whats on the door card.

According to Ford's site (if I'm reading it right) your max payload is 1520, GCWR is 15500, and max tow weight is 9600.

So if I take 1520 minus the 700lbs I estimate for family and gear that makes 820lbs for tongue weight???

mister_d
Explorer
Explorer
cman88 wrote:
No max tow or hd package. Truck GVWR is 7200 lbs going by whats on the door card.

According to Ford's site (if I'm reading it right) your max payload is 1520, GCWR is 15500, and max tow weight is 9600.
Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow

cman88
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin O. wrote:
What are the specs on your truck? Do you have the Max Tow or HD payload package? That trailer has a GVWR of 9700lbs. Not that you will load the trailer to it's max rating but once loaded it realistically will be around 8500-9000lbs. If you figure 12% of that for tongue weight your looking at about 1050lbs +/-..
The easiest thing to do is to load up your truck with the family, full tank of fuel and whatever gear you would throw in the bed of the truck for a camping trip. Now go to your local Cat scale and have your truck weighed. Take that # and subtract it from your trucks GVWR. Whatever you have left is for your trailers tongue weight.

I figure our family with dog= 550lbs and 150 lbs gear max. Anywhere online I find out what my truck weighs?

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
What are the specs on your truck? Do you have the Max Tow or HD payload package? That trailer has a GVWR of 9700lbs. Not that you will load the trailer to it's max rating but once loaded it realistically will be around 8500-9000lbs. If you figure 12% of that for tongue weight your looking at about 1050lbs +/-..
The easiest thing to do is to load up your truck with the family, full tank of fuel and whatever gear you would throw in the bed of the truck for a camping trip. Now go to your local Cat scale and have your truck weighed. Take that # and subtract it from your trucks GVWR. Whatever you have left is for your trailers tongue weight.
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

mister_d
Explorer
Explorer
2012Oudoorsman wrote:
The above towing of 5500 is not correct for your truck. You have the best axle ratio and engine ford offers in the f150. Should be alright but you will be close on payload. What's your payload. Also trailer is really long your deft going to want a good hitch

^this x2 although they do offer the 4.10 axle I believe
Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow