cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lowering my 2013 RAM 2500 4WD

ohiopicker
Explorer
Explorer
As many have pointed out, the new pickups' beds are much taller than they were a few years ago. This often puts fifth wheel RV's in a nose-high posture.

My previous TV, an '04 Ram 4WD had riser blocks between the rear springs and the rear axle seat. I was able to remove the risers from this position and place them on top of the spring pack, which allowed me to reuse my U-bolts. This lowered the rear of my truck by about an inch and a quarter.

My 2013 also has these riser blocks. Has anyone here done the position swap that I described above on a newer RAM? If it' still an easy fix, I'll be doing it on the new one, too.
18 REPLIES 18

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
gmcsmoke wrote:
lol.... ghost trailers.

silly cummings

What's a Cummings?
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
lol.... ghost trailers.

silly cummings

Engineer9860
Explorer
Explorer
Don't lower your truck, just flip out your tow mirrors and call it a day.
In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
ohiopicker wrote:
You could make a mint on those mounting brackets if you want to...Did your truck have the 5er/GN prep package?

My truck is a 2013 RAM 2500. I think the prep package is only offered with the 3500's. If there's one for the 2500's, my dealer never mentioned it!

Send me a private message with your email address, and I'll email to you the drawings and pics of my mounting brackets. They basically replace the L brackets that come with a universal mount kit. With the universal kit, one bolt goes thru the bed and into an L bracket, the other just goes thru the sheet metal bed. With mine, both go into a 1/2" thick steel bracket.

:B another guinea pig errrrrr beta tester.
I certainly hope you guys get this figured out before the 2014 roll out. I really cannot comprehend what the suit's at Ram where thinking.
My best guess is Fred Diaz is now with Nissan for a reason.
Ahh what the heck, go ahead and send me a PM, and I'll pass it along, if its worthy.
No e-mail address but the phone number is 867-5309 :R
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
ohiopicker wrote:
You could make a mint on those mounting brackets if you want to...Did your truck have the 5er/GN prep package?

My truck is a 2013 RAM 2500. I think the prep package is only offered with the 3500's. If there's one for the 2500's, my dealer never mentioned it!

Send me a private message with your email address, and I'll email to you the drawings and pics of my mounting brackets. They basically replace the L brackets that come with a universal mount kit. With the universal kit, one bolt goes thru the bed and into an L bracket, the other just goes thru the sheet metal bed. With mine, both go into a 1/2" thick steel bracket.

My bad, thought you might have the prep package.. I've got all the brackets for my hitch, thought you meant you had manufactured a picture frame type adapter. Now THAT, you could get rich on...

Thanks anyway, I appreciate the offer.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

ohiopicker
Explorer
Explorer

ohiopicker
Explorer
Explorer
cabanaman wrote:
Road Ruler wrote:
gmcsmoke wrote:
I'd raise the trailer before I lowered the truck.

Yikes..... As a TV, one of the shortcomings of a pick up is the high centre of gravity. Raising the trailer to match is also a no no which reduces handling performance. Two wrongs don't make a right.
A lot of people have done it without harm. It is done by relocating the spring pack to the top of the axles.

Relocating? The springs on both my RV and my TV are already on the tops of the axles.

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
ohiopicker wrote:
gmcsmoke wrote:

Why? Seems like that would involve a lot more work. How does one raise a trailer, other than fabricating a sub-frame under the trailer to which the springs are attached?

My springs were already on top of the axles from the factory so I added square tubing and longer U bolts under the springs. It's not hard to do; I had to raise mine 4".

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
ohiopicker wrote:
45Ricochet wrote:
Mine is 58.5" to the top of the tailgate but will squat ~4" when hitched. A DRW 2013 is about the same height but not sure about the squat since most everybody hasn't been able to hitch up yet :E because of the lack of hitches.

Mine only squats about 1 1/2 inches, measured at the tailgate when I hook up my Laredo 27RL. I designed and built my own mounting brackets to mount my in-bed rails. They worked out really well. I'd post pics, but haven't figured out how to do that yet.

My truck is about an 1" higher than Ricks, 59.5"....

Rick, hoping to get that adapter next week..guess we'll see what we see...Need to hook up and see how the 5er set's in the truck.

oh, sorry..lowering the2013 250HD...I wouldn't, but that's just me.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
i re-stacked the spring pack along with the spacer block.
as i have the kederman air ride system, to adjust the final height. (attaches to the rear shackles).
been using it that way for 5 years, no problems and it's nicer to have the truck sit in a more level stanceโ€ฆ
'08' dodge 3500 2x4

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

cabanaman
Explorer
Explorer
Road Ruler wrote:
gmcsmoke wrote:

Yikes..... As a TV, one of the shortcomings of a pick up is the high centre of gravity. Raising the trailer to match is also a no no which reduces handling performance. Two wrongs don't make a right.
A lot of people have done it without harm. It is done by relocating the spring pack to the top of the axles.
Retired Navy
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab 6.7 cummins,6 speed auto,exhaust brake. Emissions removed.
2007 Open Road 378SA4S-5,equa-flex and morryde X factor,wet bolt kit,michelin ltx M/S 2 tires

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
gmcsmoke wrote:

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
Before you mess with the truck check with your dealer about the warranty if you alter your veh. They do get pickly sometimes.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
Because there is nothing uglier than a lowered pickup truck, and it will be front high when a load is on it making it look even worse. Just my opinion though
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs