cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 f150 Ecoboost is a Tracer 3150BHD to much??

cman88
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys and gals, new to the forum and new to the trailer life in general.

I have a 2013 f150 fx4 screw with the ecoboost engine and the 3.73 gears. We've been looking at a couple travel trailers and the Prime Time Manufacturing Tracer Ultra Lite # 3150bhd has caught our eyes.

The trailer comes in at 6,955 lbs base weight and 706 lbs hitch weight. The sales guy says my truck will pull this without a problem as long as I use an equalizer hitch. I want to believe him but he knows we like the trailer and could be saying this just to make a sale?

We are a family of 4 with a small dog and are looking forward to camping, but don't want to be buying a trailer that's gonna be to much for my truck.

Here's a link to the Tracer 3150bhd
Tracer 3150bhd

Thanks.
46 REPLIES 46

Vanished
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta love 'half ton's'... 612 tongue weight is about a 4000 lb loaded trailer... Obviously that's 'by the books' but in reality most half tons are pretty comfortable with a 5-6k lb sub 28' trailer regardless.. Just my $.02 🙂
2019 Ford F350 4x4 diesel DRW
2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
mooky stinks wrote:
OK we get it! Keystone Passport! lol
LOL!! I was on my phone and it froze up on me so i kept hitting the submit button and i didn't even think it went through. 🙂
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

steeleshark
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted
2011 Nissan Armada SL w/Tow Package
2012 Coachmen Freedom Express (292BHDS) Liberty Edition

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
OK we get it! Keystone Passport! lol
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
cman88 wrote:
c4s wrote:
cman88 wrote:

I have a 2013 f150 fx4 screw with the ecoboost engine and the 3.73 gears. We've been looking at a couple travel trailers and the Prime Time Manufacturing Tracer Ultra Lite # 3150bhd has caught our eyes.

The trailer comes in at 6,955 lbs base weight and 706 lbs hitch weight. The sales guy says my truck will pull this without a problem as long as I use an equalizer hitch. I want to believe him but he knows we like the trailer and could be saying this just to make a sale?

We are a family of 4 with a small dog and are looking forward to camping, but don't want to be buying a trailer that's gonna be to much for my truck.

Tracer 3150bhd

Thanks.

The 3.73's make me think you have the Max Tow package which if that is the case you would have absolutely no problem towing that trailer.

What is the payload rating on the yellow sticker inside the door jamb?

Payload sticker 1162lbs and I'm sure I don't have the max tow. Looking at the window sticker I have the trailer tow package, it looks like it's standard on the fx4. Looks like I also have the 7200 GVWR package.

Thanks for all the help on this. Our goal for this trailer was to get a seasonal site next year to park it on, but this year we have 3 different week long trips planed. I know the truck will pull the trailer, but will I be legal and comfortable doing it is the question.

If I could find a trailer with the same layout but 3 feet shorter/lighter we wouldn't be having this talk.
Take a look at the Keystone Passport line. They have a few different floor plans you might be interested in and they are on the lighter side that might work for you..
MERIDEN,CT
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
cman88 wrote:
c4s wrote:
cman88 wrote:

Tracer 3150bhd

Thanks.

The 3.73's make me think you have the Max Tow package which if that is the case you would have absolutely no problem towing that trailer.

Payload sticker 1162lbs and I'm sure I don't have the max tow. Looking at the window sticker I have the trailer tow package, it looks like it's standard on the fx4. Looks like I also have the 7200 GVWR package.

Thanks for all the help on this. Our goal for this trailer was to get a seasonal site next year to park it on, but this year we have 3 different week long trips planed. I know the truck will pull the trailer, but will I be legal and comfortable doing it is the question.

If I could find a trailer with the same layout but 3 feet shorter/lighter we wouldn't be having this talk.
Take a look at the Keystone Passport line. They have a few different floor plans you might be interested in and they are on the lighter side that might work for you..
MERIDEN,CT
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
cman88 wrote:
c4s wrote:
cman88 wrote:

Tracer 3150bhd

Thanks.

MERIDEN,CT
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The other side of my point is that 0-500 pounds over GVWR is probably okay. A good WDH with integrated sway control will help. Many RVers tow this way and are pleased. I was in that situation with my last truck, a little over GVWR, a little over GCWR. I was ready and willing to replace the truck if we were uncomfortable. Well, we lasted two summers with it before the desire for more passenger space drove us to replace the F-150.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

2012Oudoorsman
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Golden_HVAC wrote:
The Ecoboost is rated at something like 11,500 pounds maximum, but that is when there is no passengers in the truck, nor cargo in the bed.

Only the max trailer towing package ones, and GCWR is over 17k pounds for that package. Otherwise, some tow ratings are as low as 8000 pounds depending on cab/bed/axle ratio. His is 9700.

Payload sticker 1162lb...I figure our family with dog= 550lbs and 150 lbs gear max.

That's your limit. 1162-550 for family+dog is only 612 pounds for trailer tongue weight with an empty bed.

Plenty of engine, power, and even wheelbase. Not enough suspension/payload for family + 900 pounds of TW.

X2 on this. You asked if you were going to be legal. Depends on how your state looks at things. Some states only look at axle limits but either way you will be over your ghee with that truck, which is ford will use for warranty concerns

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, go get weighed!

Make sure that you have all of your passengers, dog, car seats, booster seats,******for the kids to do on the ride, snacks, water, that you normally carry AND you put anything in the truck bed that is typical for you (bikes, firewood, topper, rolltop cover, chairs, coolers, etc.).

When I weighed, I was shocked that all of that stuff ended up being 1,200 pounds for my family of 4. Wife and I aren't little, but it was still a LOT coming off of our available payload.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
The Ecoboost is rated at something like 11,500 pounds maximum, but that is when there is no passengers in the truck, nor cargo in the bed.

Only the max trailer towing package ones, and GCWR is over 17k pounds for that package. Otherwise, some tow ratings are as low as 8000 pounds depending on cab/bed/axle ratio. His is 9700.

Payload sticker 1162lb...I figure our family with dog= 550lbs and 150 lbs gear max.

That's your limit. 1162-550 for family+dog is only 612 pounds for trailer tongue weight with an empty bed.

Plenty of engine, power, and even wheelbase. Not enough suspension/payload for family + 900 pounds of TW.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
cman88 wrote:

Tracer 3150bhd

Thanks.

In a nutshell IMO that is too much trailer or not enough truck for your particular family. Power wise you will be at your limits, but wt. wise I think you will be in trouble. Your family size, real tongue wt. of the trailer fully loaded and ready to go will most likely put you well over some #'s for your truck. Finally, at 34' that is a Looooooong trailer and while TV WB should be O.K. it's the gross wt. of the tow vehicle vs. the high wt. and length of the trailer that gives me pause. This could be mostly rectified by using a HA or Propride hitch. This last factor is best viewed as what would you rather have with a 34' long "SAIL" weighing 9K+ lbs "yanking" on the tail end of your tow vehicle ... a 7K vehicle or one close to 10K and IMO the 10K wins every time. This is a classic case of a HUGE TAIL attached to a realitively small dog. Envision a Chihuahua with a St. Bernard's tail running and then trying to make a sudden change in direction or it trying to run in a straight line in very high winds. That poor little Chihuahua is going to have it's work cut out for it trying to control that HUGE ST. BERNARD's TAIL.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

mister_d
Explorer
Explorer
cman88 wrote:

Lots of them out there..

Jayco 29SQB looked nice

On my phone otherwise I'd post more ... look up rvwholesalers .. they have a great search utility
Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow

cman88
Explorer
Explorer
c4s wrote:
cman88 wrote:

Tracer 3150bhd

Thanks.

c4s
Explorer
Explorer
cman88 wrote:

Tracer 3150bhd

Thanks.