Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2013 Light Duty Challenge

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
2013 Light Duty Challenge

Ram Hemi 8 speed vs Ecoboost F150 vs new 5.3L Gm twins & more!
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
51 REPLIES 51

ordually
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
I wonder what would have happened if they wouldn't have "power braked" before all of the acceleration tests (which to me seems like a blatant way to show favor the EcoBoost). Power braking before starting to move is unlikely to happen in the real world - something the tests are supposed to simulate, and would do nothing to help the non-turbo competitors. As I have a turbo-charged vehicle as my daily driver, I'm going to say not power braking the trucks would have seriously lengthened (due to turbo lag) the acceleration numbers for the EcoBoost F150. Thumbs down.

Seems maybe Pickuptruck.com cheer for the blue oval.

Power-braking is a disappointing test control move. Previous shootouts (example) used conventional launch methods:

All trucks and trailers were completely on the grade and stationary before each run. All the tests were performed โ€œbrake-to-accelerator,โ€ meaning the foot brake was fully depressed with the right foot, which then lifted and fully depressed the accelerator pedal in one movement.

That was back when founder Mike Levine ran the site. He later quit and went to work for Ford PR, though I think he always ran balanced tests. I think the new management (cars.com staff) aren't as rigorous.

Ord
2005 F350 SRW V10 4.10 CC LB 4x4; BW Turnover ball; LineX
2011 Sequoia 5.7L 4.30; Tundra Towing Mirrors; LT 275/65R18 C Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs on 2nd set of wheels
2005 Nash 22H TT

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin O. wrote:
MARK VANDERBENT wrote:
12.6 towing 8500 pounds is impressive I think. That egoboost can not match the smallblock chevy even thought it has all that extra power that tells me the turbo 6 is working hard.
Gas mileage is the only thing that seems impressive with the all new chevy. I'll bet if they lined the "Egoboost" next to the chevy and instead of the ford embarrassing the chevy to the top of the hill it just stayed with it the mpg would be very similar. You are correct that the turbo 6 was working hard, it climbed the 7.2% hill to 40 mph almost 2.5 seconds faster than chevy's brand new powerhouse!! Thats what I think is impressive. :B

one thousand one, one thousand two, one thous. That is a lot of time but not to me. But fast is fast.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Buck50HD
Explorer
Explorer
Did they forget the parking brake on in the Titan during the fuel economy runs? That was probably the most surprising part of the whole comparison.
New: 2014 F250 Lariat 6.2 Crew 4x4 3.73 156", 2725 lb payload
Old: 2012 F150 XLT ECO Screw 157" 4x4 3.73LS Max Tow HD Payload, 2171 lb payload
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 285BH (7750/8800lb, 1400/1700pin, dry/loaded)

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
MARK VANDERBENT wrote:
12.6 towing 8500 pounds is impressive I think. That egoboost can not match the smallblock chevy even thought it has all that extra power that tells me the turbo 6 is working hard.
Gas mileage is the only thing that seems impressive with the all new chevy. I'll bet if they lined the "Egoboost" next to the chevy and instead of the ford embarrassing the chevy to the top of the hill it just stayed with it the mpg would be very similar. You are correct that the turbo 6 was working hard, it climbed the 7.2% hill to 40 mph almost 2.5 seconds faster than chevy's brand new powerhouse!! Thats what I think is impressive. :B
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wintersun wrote:
It is the result of the gearing of the trucks. Lower gears equals better acceleration and of course fewer MPG in most driving situations. Really a stupid test as who really cares whether a truck takes 7.1, 7.2, or 7.4 seconds to accelerate onto a freeway.

The Toyota is going to provide the fewest problems and cost the least for maintenance and repairs and it has gotten the JD Powers award as the best truck for the last 5 years in a row.

What a fan boy. Toyota is the recall king.

I remember videos of the Tundra's tail gate breaking when trying to load a ATV.

I have owned 5 different Toyotas in my life - some good, some bad - you cannot just make a blanket statement about any manufacturer.

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is the result of the gearing of the trucks. Lower gears equals better acceleration and of course fewer MPG in most driving situations. Really a stupid test as who really cares whether a truck takes 7.1, 7.2, or 7.4 seconds to accelerate onto a freeway.

The Toyota is going to provide the fewest problems and cost the least for maintenance and repairs and it has gotten the JD Powers award as the best truck for the last 5 years in a row.

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
We've been very satisfied with our Tundra but it's not surprising the Tundra finished down the list. It's a 7 year old platform and has grown long in the tooth. The big 3 trucks are basically a generation ahead of the 5.7 Tundra. Interested to see what 2014 will bring.

BNG and Ford interior and and Ford super duty style tailgate stamping.
Wouldn't really have changed much.

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
itguy08 wrote:
ib516 wrote:
I wonder what would have happened if they wouldn't have "power braked" before all of the acceleration tests (which to me seems like a blatant way to show favor the EcoBoost). Power braking before starting to move is unlikely to happen in the real world - something the tests are supposed to simulate, and would do nothing to help the non-turbo competitors. As I have a turbo-charged vehicle as my daily driver, I'm going to say not power braking the trucks would have seriously lengthened (due to turbo lag) the acceleration numbers for the EcoBoost F150. Thumbs down.

I don't think it would have made much difference. The turbos on the Ecoboost are small and really only made to service an under 2.0 Liter engine. They are designed to spool fast and are heavily managed by the ECU.

In the car application of the 3.5 Ecoboost it has been found to not really matter if you brake-torque it or not.

Edmunds SHO Comparison

"The SHO didn't respond (good or bad) to brake-torque, so best launch was at 2,000 rpm."

My guess is the stall speed of the Ecoboost Torque converters is set so that it is close to when boost is starting and that's why brake torquing has no effect.

Bottom line is the EB has the advantages of Diesel (flat torque and lots of it) with few of the drawbacks (service cost, expense, weight).

When I was test driving the Ecoboost F-150 (towing 6,500 lbs.) I noticed that if you went WOT, there was no turbo lag. Only if you were driving around 1,000 RPM would you find any lag, and it's impossible to keep the engine at 1,000 RPM at WOT, brake torquing or not.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:

At least they tested all the vehicles the same. MotorTrend decided to do their truck of the year testing between the F-150 and Ram by towing about an extra 1,000 lbs. behind the Ford. Talk about tilting the scale in the Ram's favor.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been very satisfied with our Tundra but it's not surprising the Tundra finished down the list. It's a 7 year old platform and has grown long in the tooth. The big 3 trucks are basically a generation ahead of the 5.7 Tundra. Interested to see what 2014 will bring.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:

I don't think it would have made much difference. The turbos on the Ecoboost are small and really only made to service an under 2.0 Liter engine. They are designed to spool fast and are heavily managed by the ECU.

In the car application of the 3.5 Ecoboost it has been found to not really matter if you brake-torque it or not.

Edmunds SHO Comparison

"The SHO didn't respond (good or bad) to brake-torque, so best launch was at 2,000 rpm."

My guess is the stall speed of the Ecoboost Torque converters is set so that it is close to when boost is starting and that's why brake torquing has no effect.

Bottom line is the EB has the advantages of Diesel (flat torque and lots of it) with few of the drawbacks (service cost, expense, weight).

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Here's the summary for the truck challenge.

BTW... The GMC is starting to grow on me and there's no doubt the Ford and RAM are starting to look long in the tooth and the Titan is already in the pasture.

Dismal hill climb performance is not too impressive considering this is the latest greatest from GM. Loaded hill climb really shows it.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:

Didn't read that article and if they did as you say...agree...they are
stacking the deck in favor of Ford...

Acceleration is only one aspect of towing and to play games is so wrong
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...