cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Silverado 1500 – First impressions

LimogesMan
Explorer
Explorer
I had my son’s car for repair (Pontiac G6) again! Anyhow it had to stay overnight so the dealership handed me the keys to a 2014 Silverado to get home. It was a Crew cab 4x4 LT with 5.3L and the Z71 package.

The good:
- Quiet, comfortable ride.
- Great acceleration at WOT.
- The interior layout is clean and it’s definitely an improvement over the one I had.

The bad:
- The gas feeder is not too responsive; I had to press almost half way for it to start increasing the RPM.

The OK:
- Seat material is kinda thin and made me wonder how long they will last.
- Truck feels and drives heavy.
- The rear bumper step does the job.

Drove over 170 miles altogether and the observed MPG was 14 overall, 18 highway. The cylinder de-activation mode is a bit deceptive as it stays in 8 cyl mode on flat land, in cruise control @ 60 mph. You would expect it to at least drop 4 cyl while idling…? The only time I saw (and felt) the switch was when I removed my foot off the gas to decelerate to the intersection.

I think GM did a good job with this one. Not sure if it’s enough to win over new clients. The RAM sales are hot and the F-150 are still strong. The 2015 F-150 looks promising.
2002 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4X4 FX4 Lariat, 5.4L Triton V8, Precision 4.10LS
2004 Keystone Springdale 249BH 26' Fifth wheel (5800# empty)
Husky 16K dual pivot glider. TomTom One 3rd edition.
18 mpg empty, 11 mpg towing.
35 REPLIES 35

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned Chevy trucks and SUVs since I got my driver's license some 30 years ago. I quit brand bashing about that time as well. I worked as a ASE Master Tech for 15 of those years. I've had a fair share of issues with what I owned. Robots or not, they are still designed and qc'd by humans, many who have worked for multiple car manufacturers.I have a Tahoe with a built in nose blower, teeth brusher and device that can make a perfect windsor not necktie all when driving down the road. It's too much for me and my wife drives it. My Silverado LT with plenty of interior options looks a little spartan to me, and I love it.
As far as I know, Kool Aid comes in dozens of flavors, so there is some for everyone to drink.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Pink, blue , red , I don't care tastes good to me !!

catfishmontana
Explorer
Explorer
BillyW wrote:
What color is GM kool-aid? 😉

I believe it's pink...
2016 F350 Platinum Dually, CC
2014 Cyclone 3800 toyhauler
B&W Companion 20K

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Yes fort wayne , American made !! And American company ! Lots of new silverados and sierras on my roads !!

dwb619
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Silverado 1500 LT 4, 5.3,3.42
300 miles trip yesterday, 30 mph headwind going, 15 mph tail wind returning.
75 mph interstate--18.9mpg.
Wife has 2012 Tahoe, same engine and rear gear.
This truck is MUCH quieter than hers.
I only have 3000 miles on this truck, bought end of October. Anticipating mileage improving some as it gets "broke in".
Also, PROUD to say mine was assembled in Fort Wayne.
On-Star works perfectly, and the XM is nice after you lose home stations.

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
The LED lights under the bed rails is very nice. Until this year I had no interest in a 1/2 ton truck, they are so nice now I will replace my Tahoe with one of them.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Mark
I gave it a rest. He only uses generic comments. "trying a lot of new things". They comment that the layout of the interior does not look different from the 90's. I guess GM mastered the layout back then.

The new interior appears similiar to many of the new vehicles.

The inset doors that make the GM pickups the quietest pickup was not trying new. LED lights under the bed rails was not new. The rust resistant brake rotors. The MyLink radio allows for connections to Pandora, plus other features; all at a reasonable cost.

So I gave specifics, and looking for others to discuss specific features or functions.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

parkersdad
Explorer
Explorer
MARK VANDERBENT wrote:
Parkers dad , so you feel a diesel engine and 2 speeds added to a trans is high tech improvements ??? Do remember GM putting diesel engines in half tons 20 years ago. Or maybe coil springs in the rear of a truck like a car is high tech and cutting edge?? Or a turbo added to an engine?? wow that's never been done !!! Just because you got burned by GM many years ago, doesn't mean their building lame autos and trucks. GM outsells Toyota,Ford, and yes fiat each month, because people like what they have and buy it!!

I am not talking about diesel in general I am talking about the whole truckline. In the 1500 2500 and 3500 ram is trying a lot of new things which I respect them for. That is all I am saying. I have personally always liked the look of ram trucks. However I would not buy a ram truck before 2010. To me the quality was not up to par. That is why I owned Nissans and Ford's up until 2010. I am just saying in my opinion ram is doing a lot of good things and their quality is up to par with everyone else. Just because the New England Patriots were the best team for a decade does that mean they're going to be the best team this next decade? It doesn't look like it. Things change.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
BillyW wrote:

Ugly

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Parkers dad , so you feel a diesel engine and 2 speeds added to a trans is high tech improvements ??? Do remember GM putting diesel engines in half tons 20 years ago. Or maybe coil springs in the rear of a truck like a car is high tech and cutting edge?? Or a turbo added to an engine?? wow that's never been done !!! Just because you got burned by GM many years ago, doesn't mean their building lame autos and trucks. GM outsells Toyota,Ford, and yes fiat each month, because people like what they have and buy it!!

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Parkersdad, I feel the same way. I also know there a a few on this forum that like innovation but only for their preferred brand. If one of the other brands come out with something new you can expect the "wait ten years until it proves itself" attitude.

parkersdad
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot affair wrote:
parkersdad wrote:
I know Dodge has the Coillspring suspension along with air suspension. They are the only ones to have the air suspension right now and I don't know anything about it but I do know people are raving about it.

Oh ya, the guys in colder climates are sure raving about it.

people raving over Rams air suspension

That is one forum. Ram is developing new systems, not sitting back on old technology like GM. I am not saying one way is better than the other but personally I like new gadgets, I work with computers so I am always trying something new. You can find tons of articles saying not to buy the ecoboost but it doesn't seem to hurt sales.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot affair wrote:
parkersdad wrote:
I know Dodge has the Coillspring suspension along with air suspension. They are the only ones to have the air suspension right now and I don't know anything about it but I do know people are raving about it.

Oh ya, the guys in colder climates are sure raving about it.

people raving over Rams air suspension

That is just the risk you run as the guinea pig testing a new product for the manufacturer. Maybe they get the bugs worked out and it is a hit. Or maybe it goes the way of rear steer. Many on here frown on innovation, at least when it is the other brands doing the innovating. There are a lot of growing pains right now in Chrysler but I think heading in the right direction.