cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 GM Dually GVW question

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, so color me or my co-worker stupid here, but have a question about this truck. Co-worker bought a '15 GMC dually, 4wd, crew cab with the intention of hauling used cars around and personal use. Says the data label says truck GVW is 13,000+. Now it gets strange. He says he cannot find or doesn't know how much total CGVW is and exactly how much weight trailer/cargo on it he can tow. Dealer claims they don't know. I told him to ask for a GM towing guide or look at a truck brochure as it will tell him the weights. Comparing it to a Ford, it's gotta be pretty darn close I'd think. Just told me last night that he had to get "apportioned" plates from NY DMV. So would be greatly appreciated if you folks that have same vehicle could shed some light on this for me to pass along. I was under the impression that this truck should be close to 30k combined weight.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
11 REPLIES 11

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
The information is in the "Duramax Diesel Supplement" which should have come with your BRAND NEW truck.

If the dealer can't/won't provide it for you, then you should demand your money back on the truck. They will figure it out right quick.

No kidding... Can no one pick up a phone and make a call anymore?? Make these clowns work for their money.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Since he dealer didn't provide an answer, it was because they were to da## lazy to look it up.

THere's a HUGE flip book in showrooms that has info about all the car and truck models, it's like a gigantic brochure/ THere's one section dedicated to towing info.

If the salesman don't know how to use the tools at their disposal (online info, and the big book), I'd go to a different dealer.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ultimately, the maximum weight will depend on:

1. The GVW you paid for on the truck's registration.
2. The GVW you paid for on the trailer's registration.
3. How slow you want to go up hills.

With a truck that has a GVWR of 13,500lbs, and a trailer with a GVWR of 20,000lbs, if you register them both for the maximum, and you have a CDL, you can LEGALLY go down the road at 33,500lbs.

You won't be exceeding any of the truck's ratings, except for the GCVWR. The GCVWR is generally, unofficially, regarded as a "performance" rating because it can be exceeded without exceeding any other rating.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
When I towed for a living the only one at a truck dealer that could help me with those type questions was the fleet sales mgrs. Especially a dealership that sold lots of trucks that owners were putting in commercial service.
One mgr actually showed me how to get dot complaint with my one ton DRW trucks and trailers.

The truck makers GCWR is not on a sticker/placard anywhere on any truck nor is it a NHTSA requirement to be. DOT isn't interested in it either.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The information is in the "Duramax Diesel Supplement" which should have come with your BRAND NEW truck.

If the dealer can't/won't provide it for you, then you should demand your money back on the truck. They will figure it out right quick.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Hope it works out for him ,but at same time not sure if he bit off more than he can chew?

Hauling cars isn't the hard part. Figuring out all the state and federal regulations for hauling is the hard part! Hauling "under the table" is getting harder and harder to do, as transport brokers and website now verify DOT and insurance before allowing a carrier to accept a load (and rightfully so!). Also by the time he factors in his $1-million liability policy, and commercial registration fees including weight-mile tax in some states, it probably won't earn as much as he thinks. It can be profitable to do full time if you cover lots of miles and manage to find back-haul loads. It probably won't earn much extra income for a part-timer, but could be enough to subsidize traveling if that's what he's looking to do.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks!!! I gave him the info. Says he called 2 dealers who couldn't give him an answer! WTH?? He did find on his own yesterday as well about the 30,500. Hope it works out for him ,but at same time not sure if he bit off more than he can chew?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN is right on. Also, because its not an RV trailer, he will need a CDL if he's over 26k combined, even if he's not being paid to haul the cars.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Co-worker bought a '15 GMC dually, 4wd, crew cab with the intention of hauling used cars around and personal use. Says the data label says truck GVW is 13,000+. Now it gets strange. He says he cannot find or doesn't know how much total CGVW is and exactly how much weight trailer/cargo on it he can tow.

Hauling used cars for money ?? There is good money in moving cars if your set up right but this industry is well regulated and well enforced around here anyway.
If he is hauling foe hire then he will have to go with commercial plates as a one ton DRW truck pulling a 2-3 vehicle car hauler will be a great big ol' DOT target.

He may use his trucks 13000 GVWR plus the trailers GVWR which lets just say is 18000 lbs. A triaxle 3 car slant has three axle braking which is a big plus. In my state (as others) we may use the sum of the trucks FAWR/RAWR as its operating GVW.
His truck/trailer GCW is now 31000 lbs which he will have to declare as his operating GCW. He may tow any GVWR trailer he wants but for a one ton DRW the truck it will last longer staying close to GMs tow rating.
He will have to be under steer/drive and trailer axle/tire ratings and his declared 31k gross combined weight.

Above numbers are just for example if he's going commercial.

http://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2015&addOptions=true®ionID=1&divi...

Looks like GM online ordering guide website shows a 22600 lb up to 23200 lb tow rating for the DRW GMC.....if he goes with the mfg tow ratings.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
30,500 GCWR according to Chevy's website. He can tow up to a 19,600 bumper pull trailer or up to a 22,600 5th wheel trailer.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

lightfoot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Give him this link.
USN EN2
2012 Ford F250 SC, 6.7L TD
2015 Voltage 3200
2004 Honda GL1800 Reverse Trike