Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2015 Ram 1500 towing?

phishheadmi
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

Well, here I am again, at the end of a truck lease cycle. I've been leasing trucks every 2 or 3 years for the last 20+ years...it works for me.

My current truck is a 2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn (the first generation 2013...before the 8 speed trans). Before that, I had a 2010 Toyota Tundra...LOVED the tundra, but at $100/month more than the Ram, I didn't love it that much. Before the Tundra were a couple other Ram leases (in Detroit area, they lease out really well). I feel like the Toyota towed much better than the Ram (towing a 26' TT loaded up to around 8,000 LBS).

My question is about the new Ram truck...I've found a pretty good deal, but even the dealer is telling me they reduced the towing a payload a bit when they switched over to the new style and 8 speed trans in 2013.

Who's towing with a late model 2013 to 2016 Ram truck? What are you towing? How do you find it compares to other trucks you've owned/used? Any other suggestions? I have a buddy who swears by his Ford eco boost V6...says it tows better than his old F150 V8...he's towing more than I am, but I don't think he's as aware of how/what he's towing.

Anyone have a new model Ram and had the older model and can compare the two? I'd love to jump up to a 2500, but they don't have any lease deals on those at all so they wind up being double the lease rate!
30 REPLIES 30

Levidada
Explorer
Explorer
No just 4x2.
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Big Horn|| 2016 Heartland Northtrail 27BHDS

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Levidada wrote:
So I just took my 1500 in for service and had them tell me my gear ratio. Seems I am only running 3.21. I assume this is the reason for my towing struggles. $1100 to upgrade to 3.90. They say tell make a world of difference. What do y'all think? Is the outcome worth the price tag?

If it's a 4x4" you'll need to change the front gears too. So you can double that price.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

Levidada
Explorer
Explorer
Well I just purchased some BFG LT275 60 R20 T/A KO2 with a load D on tire rack this morning. Gotta imagine that's going to help out the handling issues. I have a 150 mile trip next weekend so I'll give you all the update on that.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
On an older truck before the 8 speed auto, I would say yes for sure. On the newer ones, I don't know. You were complaining about other issues as well; handling, etc. Gears won't help that. Have you dealt with those issues?

I guess they offer the 3.92 ratio for a reason. On my last truck, an under powered F150 with a 4 speed transmission, I regeared from 3.55 to 4.10. It made a HUGE difference.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Levidada
Explorer
Explorer
So I just took my 1500 in for service and had them tell me my gear ratio. Seems I am only running 3.21. I assume this is the reason for my towing struggles. $1100 to upgrade to 3.90. They say tell make a world of difference. What do y'all think? Is the outcome worth the price tag?

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Can't compare trucks as my 2004 was a 2500 CTD. The new trucks with the 8 speed can not be compared to the 6 speeds. You should go drive one and with the four corner air suspension they tow like a dream. As I posted above I read on the employee site that the 2016 1500 trucks can be ordered with 17" LT tires.

I love my Ecodiesel but your TT IMO is at it's limit. Others are towing heavier RV's with them but I wouldn't. Good luck with whatever you decide. BTW there is nothing wrong with the F150 with the EB.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
Levidada wrote:
I just got back from my first trip in my 2014 1500 Big Horn pulling a 27ft TT at 6,000lbs with a Equalizer 4 point hitch.

1st off, I am a rookie at this, so in my opinion towing was more of a struggle then I expected. Granted I was traveling from Orange County up to the Sierras so I was stressed with a lot of very long inclines where the Ram was pressed at 4000+ RPM for sometime 10 minutes or more. I also was a bit surprised how much the trailer seemed to dictate the movement of the truck. Not to say there was a lack of control, but you sure as heck knew the trailer was there. Caught a couple decent size gusts as well, which, to say the least, put the fear of God in me!!

I have plenty more trips to take in the 1500, but to be honest, I am already thinking about upsizing. I just wish I wasn't so fresh on my loan with the 1500.

1) I would make sure your hitch is setup properly.
2) Maybe invest in some LT tires.
3) Practice.

Agree 100% with the LT tires, Ram is offering them on the 2016 1500 in the 17" rim size. They will make a world of difference in how the truck handles with the trailer hooked up.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Levidada wrote:
I just got back from my first trip in my 2014 1500 Big Horn pulling a 27ft TT at 6,000lbs with a Equalizer 4 point hitch.

1st off, I am a rookie at this, so in my opinion towing was more of a struggle then I expected. Granted I was traveling from Orange County up to the Sierras so I was stressed with a lot of very long inclines where the Ram was pressed at 4000+ RPM for sometime 10 minutes or more. I also was a bit surprised how much the trailer seemed to dictate the movement of the truck. Not to say there was a lack of control, but you sure as heck knew the trailer was there. Caught a couple decent size gusts as well, which, to say the least, put the fear of God in me!!

I have plenty more trips to take in the 1500, but to be honest, I am already thinking about upsizing. I just wish I wasn't so fresh on my loan with the 1500.
Interesting differences from my experience. My trailer is 4 feet shorter than yours but a similar weight and tows very well with the Equal-I-zer hitch. I felt wind gusts but they didn't affect my control at all. I hit 4000 RPMs a few times. To me the engine was singing. My experience was totally positive, relaxing even. There are things that can improve ones towing experience, like ensuring the tow vehicle tires are adequate and fully aired up. Maybe the difference is the trailers. Mine tows like a dream.

On edit, I see others beat me to the reply. ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Ram 1500

Levidada
Explorer
Explorer
I also need to check my gear ratio. My truck comes in 3.21 and 3.92. I don't know which one I have but I know it makes a big difference! And yes, I do intend to do plenty of practicing. Especially while in my warranty period.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Levidada wrote:
Caught a couple decent size gusts as well, which, to say the least, put the fear of God in me!!

I hear you! First time I towed my 35' I was bucking gusting side winds and was wondering what the heck I got myself into. I'm guessing 30+mph. Never experienced it again...not like that. Give it a few trips, slow down if you have to, (and as mentioned) work on getting your hitch dialed in, load evened out and max your tire pressure. It will be OK.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Levidada wrote:

1) I would make sure your hitch is setup properly.
2) Maybe invest in some LT tires.
3) Practice.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

dshelley
Explorer
Explorer
I traded a 2013 Ram 1500 single cab, 5.7, 6 speed with 3.55, for a 2014 quad cab 5.7, 8 speed with 3.92 rear. The 6 speed just didn't seem to allow all the engine power, difficult to explain, but it just didn't feel it was there. The 8 speed, especially with the 3.92 is night and day. Much more power available any time I need it. An added bonus, it gets better fuel mileage also. Within it's capabilities, it will pull anything, anywhere with power to spare. I don't know if an Ecoboost 3.5 would satisfy more or not, but this is the absolute best half ton truck I've driven. You would do well to put it on your short list.
As others have mentioned, your trailer will be pulled better by a 250/2500, simply because everything is heavier, but that of course depends on the majority of use. My half ton is a daily driver 90% of the time so its pulling chores are less priority.
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 5'7"box. 395 HP 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear, 8 speed auto. 26 foot Heartland North Trail Caliber travel trailer.

Levidada
Explorer
Explorer

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I have only been on one test of my Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. Just say, power is similar or better than my 7.3 IDI banks turbo I had in my youth.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
My 2015 Ram 1500 has the 8 speed/hemi package with 3.92 gears and tows my 6000 lb (+/-) almost effortlessly. I've accidentally broke traction when starting from a stop, and have had no problem passing lines of vehicles on long inclines. It has way more than enough power for it's rated capacity. Mine in particular has a 1348 lb payload, which isn't bad. They can get lower than that, but there is a lot of cushion with the GAWR. It's a night and day improvement over my previous '97 F150 (which was heavily modded for towing). It's extremely quiet and has great manners, even when towing. Unless you step on it, then it roars to life very pleasantly. The suspension gives a great unloaded ride, but is maybe a little too soft for towing in my opinion, but there are many available remedies for that. I'll be adding air bags one of these days. Mine isn't broken in yet, I get 19 mpg mixed driving on my daily commute, and 9 - 10 mpg towing in the hills and mountains of the northwest. I'm very happy with those figures which, once again, are a vast improvement over my last truck. If the other brands are better than this, then they are truly remarkable. I'm a very happy camper.
2015 Ram 1500